Menu
Expat.com

Are expats allowed to enter Mauritius at the moment?

Last activity 01 September 2020 by freetofly

Jules2020

Hi, we are a family from Munich and my husband is supposed to start his job in Mauritius in August. Currently the borders are still closed. Does anyone know when they will open or if there are exceptions for expats? Thx

manugaw

Hi,

Borders will be open as from 1st August 2020, you can contact me for more info.

Thanks

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : No self-promotion.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
WinstonH

Hi there,

No exceptions that I know of.

Borders will remain closed till the 31st of August.
After that, decisions will be taken by authorities and announced.

All will depend on prevailing Covid situation worldwide.

Jules2020

Hi Manugaw, thx for the information. If borders opened on 1st August that would help a lot. Do you have further information that you can provide on this? Thx Julia

Jules2020

Thank you Winston. Please let me know if you receive further information. Best julia

Departmaurice

Bonjour, un quotidien a fait paraître que 9 vols au mois d aout seraient prévus notamment pour les résidents occupation permit. Mon fils doit reprendre l ecole le 25 août et le stress monte quant à notre date de retour. Si vous avez des news je suis preneur!!!!

Fred
Departmaurice wrote:

Bonjour, un quotidien a fait paraître que 9 vols au mois d aout seraient prévus notamment pour les résidents occupation permit. Mon fils doit reprendre l ecole le 25 août et le stress monte quant à notre date de retour. Si vous avez des news je suis preneur!!!!

Hello, a daily published that 9 flights in August would be planned, in particular for residents with occupation permits.  My son is due to return to school on August 25 and stress is mounting on our return date.  If you have any news I am interested !!!!

Please post in English on this section of the forum.
French is here.

https://www.expat.com/fr/forum/

Julien

... so far no news, we all have to be very patient

DonDanA

We book with British Airways to travel to Mauritius on the 12 th of September and our flights have now been cancelled.
We have not had any notifications to say when borders will be open.

Guiani

Hi, sorry to hear that.
From what is official is that the border will not be opened end of August. As per the authority, when they will announce opening of the border this will be done by phase. The plan will be to have all local citizen get in first, then those with resident permit and then it could be tourist.
But again, things kept changing every day, the best is to follow up closely.

Thank you
Guiani

WinstonH
DonDanA wrote:

We book with British Airways to travel to Mauritius on the 12 th of September and our flights have now been cancelled.
We have not had any notifications to say when borders will be open.

From what I know, the opening will be done in phases and will start as from the 30th of September.
That said, I'm not sure who will be allowed in first.

Will also depend on the prevailing Covid situation. Another wave of infection from a particular country and citizens of that country might be barred from traveling to Mauritius.

DonDanA

Thanks for your response.
Checked on the Government website this morning for update, unfortunately everything remains the same.
Desperate to get out there.
Maybe October now 🤞🏽

WinstonH

It was announced yesterday that borders will open on 31st of October.

Whether that will change again, we don't know.

freetofly

see announcement here on MUR Government website:    http://www.govmu.org/English/News/Pages … ases-.aspx

Quote:
1 September 2020:Mauritius is reopening its borders in three phases and the protection of the population remains the priority in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The first phase comprises the repatriation of Mauritians stranded abroad which will continue until 30 September 2020. Arriving passengers will continue to be quarantined in the centers made available by the State.
The second phase will start on 01 October 2020 during which travel to and from certain destinations will be allowed. Access to the Mauritian territory will be authorised to passengers abiding by sanitary protocols. Online booking for airline tickets and hotel room reservations would be available. However, priority will be given to Mauritian nationals, licensed residents, those employed in Mauritius and other visitors wishing to travel to Mauritius.
The third phase of reopening the borders will be determined in the light of the evolution of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Citizens who are directly affected by the restrictions, currently put in place, including hotel taxis and tourist operators, will continue to receive financial assistance from the Government.
Unquote.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Education in Mauritius
    Education in Mauritius

The Mauritian school system is based on the Anglo-Saxon model and is divided, as is often the case elsewhere, into ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles