Menu
Expat.com

Questions on how to write proper cursive Vietnamese

Last activity 21 September 2024 by spacedragon124

Satoo

Hello, I've been googling for an answer to these 2 questions but I've been unable to find a satisfatory answer.

As I understand it, beatiful cursive handwriting is very valuable in Vietnam. However, there's a couple of questions I have about this topic:

1. In the wikipedia article on Vietnamese there's an image with the official cursive alphabet:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ … _Chart.svg

My question is: what are those 5 symbols in the last line? What are they called? I'd like to find more information on them but without knowing their name it has proved impossible. Are they ligatures or something? Why don't they appear anywhere, not even here: https://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/vietnamese.htm ?

2. To my understanding the letters F, J, W and Z are only used in foreign words. So, they are not part of the official cursive alphabet and, as such, they don't even appear in wikipedia's image of the official cursive alphabet. Therefore, and given how important proper handwriting style is, how do Vietnamese people handwrite each of those letters when they encounter words of foreign origin? Do they write each of these letters using the English handwriting style?

Thanks!

THIGV

Not based on knowledge of Vietnamese cursive.  but based on my being old enough to have grown up learning cursive writing in grade school, I expect the last five symbols are alternates for A, M, R, Q, V.  The third figure could be N.  I am quite confident of the others.

Ciambella
THIGV wrote:

I expect the last five symbols are alternates for A, M, R, Q, V.  The third figure could be N.  I am quite confident of the others.

Yes, the 3rd one is N.

Satoo wrote:

Why don't they appear anywhere, not even here: https://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/vietnamese.htm ?

They're there.  They're A, M, N, Q, V.  They're on a different line because that's the alternative way to write them.

Satoo wrote:

To my understanding the letters F, J, W and Z are only used in foreign words. So, they are not part of the official cursive alphabet and, as such, they don't even appear in wikipedia's image of the official cursive alphabet. Therefore, and given how important proper handwriting style is, how do Vietnamese people handwrite each of those letters when they encounter words of foreign origin? Do they write each of these letters using the English handwriting style?

They're written the same cursive way as the others.  I don't know how to show to you, except perhaps to write on a piece of paper then take a photo of it.

The Z has been used often enough since the 1930s even though it's not in the original alphabets.  A good number of people whose names start with D spell them with Dz:  Dzung is the most popular.  Two of my siblings' names are spelled with Dz.

Remember, Vietnamese alphabets were created by a group of French and Spanish missionaries with  Alexandre de Rhodes the major contributor (hence his given title The Father of Vietnamese Language).  They're Latin alphabets, therefore, Vietnamese people have always known about the letters F, J, W, and Z.  Every generation since the end of 19th century has been using French terms in their conversations without ever fully understood that those terms were not Vietnamese.

Just last month, a 4 year old taught me the art of gift wrap: "You put the gift in a bag (he used the French word 'sac'), cover it with tissue paper (he used the French word 'pelure'), then tie the handles with ribbons (he used the French word 'ruban').  One simple sentence in Vietnamese and this child who has yet to learn Vietnamese just dropping French left and right!

BTW, the younger generation uses J a lot, in lieu of Gi.  Even though it's not the official or proper way, it's their way, and it's widely recognised by almost everyone under 40.

In re: cursive is very important in Vietnamese, I'm not certain that's still the truth.

THIGV

My wife uses numerals that are much more stylized than the examples given.  Satoo's numeric examples would all be clear in the West.  I sometimes have to caution her to use "American" numbers when filling out forms like bank slips so that she is not misunderstood.  Her numeral one in particular has a long upstroke before the downstroke such that westerners could confuse it with a seven.  Of course her seven has a cross line but that may not be apparent if there are no sevens in the whole number.  Also, I don't recall exactly how she writes it but I think the loops in her eight can be very narrow.  I don't know if this is typical but the one certainly is.  Her four is ornate but understandable.

Satoo

Thanks for your throughout reply Ciambella. I spent the last few hours researching this so if you could provide me with a photo of each of the letters in both uppercase and lowercase that would be great (If it isn't too much of an hassle). However, maybe you don't have to. Thanks to what I learned here I found out that the Vietnamese and French cursive are very similar. There's difference in height though. So, do the Vietnamese-style FJWZ look like the French?

Here's a photo:
https://preview.redd.it/81ydf4xoqsc51.j … 2983468940

Thanks

Ps.: Thank you too THIGV!

EDIT: Maybe this one is clearer: https://i.imgur.com/jJPmIxS.jpg

Ciambella
Satoo wrote:

So, do the Vietnamese-style FJWZ look like the French?

Here's a photo:
https://preview.redd.it/81ydf4xoqsc51.j … 2983468940

Thanks

Ps.: Thank you too THIGV!

EDIT: Maybe this one is clearer: https://i.imgur.com/jJPmIxS.jpg

Exactly as shown in both examples.

Satoo

Thanks!

Really appreciate your help

spacedragon124

@Satoo

1. That are alternatives of A, M, N, Q, V

2. We will have to write like English , like me.

I'm a Vietnamese, so I know that.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Studying in Vietnam
    Studying in Vietnam

Studying in Vietnam is an attractive opportunity for foreigners due to low tuition fees and the growing number of ...

• Student life in Ho Chi Minh City
    Student life in Ho Chi Minh City

As Ho Chi Minh City continues to gain a reputation as a hub for engineering and telecommunications, more and more ...

• Student life in Hanoi
    Student life in Hanoi

Enrolling at university is an exciting milestone in any young adult's life. For many prospective students, it ...

• Universities in Hanoi
    Universities in Hanoi

As a city that is economically growing at a monumental rate, Hanoi is well endowed with educational institutions. ...

• Universities in Ho Chi Minh City
    Universities in Ho Chi Minh City

Although people may not be able to tell upon first glance, Ho Chi Minh City is home to more than 80 universities ...

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles