Ship my car or buy one in the DR?

While on the topic of motor vehicle importing or buying local...what's the take on motorcycles??

@planner Well said! Agree 100 percent.

@planner By your recommendation, where can I contact Cruffman? As I also may be in the market for a used vehicle though not 100 percent sure at this current time.

In relation to this thread, Do you think I need to start a new thread or can I simply ask for your answer to the following question as it relates to my new status.

I was recently an expat but after I found out marriage to a local changed my status from expat to citizen.  Cedula states pensionado.

1. 1. In regards to importing household goods and vehicle, are there any differences in regards to residency of expats and that of pensionado citizens?
  2. What am I allowed to import including any limitations on age of vehicle with the 5 year age limit. Does that rule also apply to Pensionados citizens?

Ok so if you already have your  cedula and residency I think you have likely missed your window of importing with tax breaks. You had  six months from issuing your residency to import!

Your status does not automatically change. YOu have to apply for it.  You must go through the process, with a valid residency, of applying for citizenship by marriage.  I would be speaking with a lawyer on this. 

The law is the same regarding importing vehicles regardless.

@cruffman

Hello

I hope you are well . I need your advice. I have been to the DR a few times. a week, sometimes a few weeks and each time i rent a car. I plan to move there next year and from what I have been reading . bringing my 2021 honda crv is not a good idea because of the cost. In June I will be there for a month and in december for another month. am thinking about buying a clunker and storing for the months I am back in the USA. Can you find me a basic clunker, its the price that is most important, the looks are not and I can drive in the dr no problem. I drive uber in the los angeles area and i love to drive. I blend in with the dr drivers never missing a beat. thanks , brandon

@planner   can i please have Crufmans contact info  thank you

sharon