Menu
Expat.com

Moving to Mauritius - How much are foreigners paid in Mauritius?

Last activity 24 November 2021 by Macmac0065

Chukwudumebi

Hi. I wanted to move to Mauritius before the pandemic but now the pandemic is eased I'm also making the plans again. I just need some answers from you all. How much are foreigners paid in Mauritius? Can I get a job offer in Mauritius from my country Nigeria?

DILLOO Shaheel

Hi it depends on your qualification what post you are actually looking for. Do you have a professional residence permit or only a visa which has been extended?

Thanks

Shaheel

WinstonH

Depends on your type of job, the sector under which it falls and your qualifications, skills and years of experience.
You should also note that not all type of jobs will make you eligible for an Occupation or Work Permit to obtain employment in Mauritius.
Only some segments of the economy are open to expat employment.
I would recommend you go through the 'Mauritius Guide' for an insight into the job market here.

Earl1234

i am also willing to move from ghana to work in maurituis ,been reading alot online and i think there are lots of negative remarks about tourist working in maurituis,Some gets imprisoned for working with a tourist visa,others are treated like a slave and i just want to know if mauritius is a safe country

Anou86

Hi Earl1234,

Mauritius is a safe country but working on a tourist visa is illegal. Any tourist working  without proper visa puts himself in trouble (prison, blacklist, poor conditions, they are deported).
To be able to work, foreigners need a proper work permit or occupation permit.

Regards,
Anou

infogreencycle

Why so many people want to move to Mauritius? I could understand for tax purposes if you are super wealthy. But Mauritians themselves migrate to Australia, Canada or EU. Cost of living is super high.

Guest72364927
infogreencycle wrote:

Why so many people want to move to Mauritius? I could understand for tax purposes if you are super wealthy. But Mauritians themselves migrate to Australia, Canada or EU. Cost of living is super high.

Most people moving to Mauritius are from South Africa, who are escaping the political injustice. Exactly the same reason why Afgan nationals are moving to UK and USA.

As someone quoted here it is not always about the money but life too. If you are poor in your home country and there is a risk your life, you would rather be poor in another country but with safety of life which one would you choose?

CaringHeartLady

Were u able to move if yes what documents are needed

Macmac0065

I can inform you that Mauritius is supercheap compared to Sweden.  Also Mauritius is a much safer country than Sweden,  not to mention the lifestyle & environment.  The reason i have decided to relocate to Mauritius isnt that its supercheap, but a hope for a better life.  That its cheap compared to where i live now is just another advantage,  not the main reason.  I could relocate to anywhere where they will have me, but clearly i think Mauritius is the best option for a lot of reasons. Very civilized & good infrastructure adds to the advantages

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Work in Mauritius
    Work in Mauritius

The small, prosperous republic of Mauritius has risen to become one of the most progressive economies in Africa. ...

• Invest in Mauritius
    Invest in Mauritius

Mauritius is an ideal destination for foreign investment. With a stable democracy, the Rule of Law, and an ...

• Setting up a business in Mauritius
    Setting up a business in Mauritius

Mauritius is a world-renowned business center, ranked first in sub-Saharan Africa by the World Bank. It is the ...

• Work contracts in Mauritius
    Work contracts in Mauritius

In Mauritius, job contracts are stringently regulated to ensure fair treatment and clarity for all employees. The ...

• Internships in Mauritius
    Internships in Mauritius

Mauritius attracts many international students who are looking to do an internship abroad to gain their first ...

• Labor market in Mauritius
    Labor market in Mauritius

The Mauritian economy is a service economy, and not surprisingly, the labor market is dominated by this sector. ...

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles