Retiring to Fiji

Hi All.
My husband and I are thinking - seriously - of moving to Fiji once Covid 19 allows us access. I've already started packing!!!
We're unsure as to what areas would be suitable for us. Previously we've only traveled to Fiji as tourists and understand 'normal' life is not the same. My husband may have some freelance work out of Suva but I'm not sure about the suitability of that city. I understand the humidity there is worse than other areas. Hard to remember what the days were like as a tourist!

I had though of somewhere on the Coral Coast, Pacific Harbour or even Denarau, if the work side doesn't pan out.

I'm also interested in the security of those areas and the availability of suitable rental properties.

Can anyone please give me advice.
Thanks.

I would seriously re-consider my retirement plans if I were you. Fiji is not Australia or NZ. There is no regard for the rule of law or property ownership. Criminal activities and house invasions are daily incidents and no one seems to care about it. The native Fijians are too lazy to work their land and so they are actively accosting foreigners for investment. The are many cases of foreigners losing money on their investment, too many to list but I will just add 2-3 links for you. Everything seems to be a 'paradise' until the moment you are done investing, then you will see things flip. Even if you're not investing and working a remote job, you will be a magnet for burglaries. 

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pac … gain-pricehttps://fijisun.com.fj/2021/02/07/emoti … ka-couple/https://fijisun.com.fj/2021/03/21/darke … of-attack/

I would suggest moving here and renting in possibly a number of areas to see what type of lifestyle you like best. We have been living here for over a year and absolutely love it. Just like any country there are places to stay away from but essentially the people are extremely friendly, the environment fantastic and the access to 5 star resorts endless.

Make sure the place you stay is well built as when cyclone season hits this will be a godsend.

My recommendation is "Go for It !!" because if you didn't you will always ask yourself "What if ??" and why live a life of regrets. Most people regret things they haven't done as opposed to things they have done.

Can you give me some suggestions for good areas to rent in? Don't have to be in the city. Thanks.

@jaffabella if you do not want to live in either Nadi or Suva other places I would consider would be Ba. We have lived in Yaqara (approx. half way between Tavua and Rakiraki) now for 2 years and we do most of our shopping in Tavua (because it's a bit closer).

@Travelling Glo

Fiji is not what is described by Mark and the newspaper.

News of any sort gets an attraction in newspaper because there is not much happening that will make jaws open.

Home invasions are not daily issues.  It can be one of in many months.

Overall, Fiji is a beautiful country with peace and tranquility.  Though there is political instability but thats everywhere in the world.  With changing times, laws must be changed, but some object to changes.  But the political awe is not something like other parts of the world where its ;like a warzone.

you can contact me on [link moderated] - I have started a real estate information website =  have a look.  you may be interested.  I will list some retirement properties in some zones that will have access to medical and special transportations.

We will traveling there in about a month

to consider look for land to buy

Focused on purchase in the northern island Vanua Levu.

Perhaps if that is your area we could meet

Also considering land in Taveuni

@rkruksha

Hello.  Can you please share the link to the real estate information website ?  I would be interested to see the listings.  Thank you.