Menu
Expat.com

Find a house for renting

Last activity 01 February 2021 by ssaib219

123whitehill

Hello everyone

We are looking for a house to rent in Mauritius and talked to a real estate agent today. She told us, that if she finds a place for us, we have to pay one month rental to her like her payment.
Is this common in Mauritius? We rented houses all over the world but never had to pay the agent to find us a place. Until now, it was always the way around, that the landlord payed the agent to find a renter.

Thank you for your help!

Aloha,  Sandra and Roger

yeti1952

It is the practice here in Mauritius that the renter pays the agent .

Ceresiet

the answer is maybe to find a suitable rental property advertised here on the Expat forum

https://www.expat.com/en/housing/africa … -rent.html

or on
https://www.lexpressproperty.com/en/rent-mauritius/

and rent directly from the owner - not through an agent - what are the views of the fellow forumites ?

Is there a level of consumer protection offered by renting through an agency that justifies the fee, or is it exactly the same when you rent directly from the landlord / owner ?

123whitehill

Good questions, I have to check and ask her.

The houses look good, with views, backyard and pool.

Thank you for your replay.

Kind regards, Sandra

123whitehill

I am more than happy to pay something for the work the agent is doing for us, but how much would it be? When I compare the amount she is asking for with the monthly avarage wage in Mauritius I think it is too much. Well, I am just careful, I worked hard for my money and don't like to through it out of the window smile.png

Thank you, kind regards, Sandra

External
Nitro11 wrote:

Hey Sandra

For me i would see it fair to give a month deposit and 1 month rent in advance (this is what it is here in the uk). I know mauritius they might do things differently but whatever money you give make sure you have a receipt and keep it safe. Thats just my opinion. Whether this advance goes to the agent or not will be between the landlord and the agent.

Hope you find your home soon.

What you posted is  different from the agent's fees such as these requested by agencies as an example:

Code:
RENT Long-term Rental – Minimum 12 months Finder’s Fee payable by the tenant is equivalent to 1 month’s rental - plus 15% VAT Finder’s Fee payable by the landlord is equivalent to 1 month’s rental - plus 15% VAT Mid-term Rental – Between 6 and 12 months Finder’s Fee payable by the tenant is equivalent to 10% on the total amount paid in rent - plus 15% VAT Finder’s Fee payable by the Landlord is equivalent to 10% on the total amount paid in rent - plus 15% VAT

With COVID-19 and the surplus of rentals ( short term rentals owners who used  AirBnB to make fast turnovers are not opting for long term rentals) on the market including  the economic shortfalls, some agencies are requesting ONLY 50% of the 1 month's rental as agent's gees these days .

SO SHOP AROUND:

Don't just walk into those branded  foreign owned  estate agencies . Large firms can have a wide range of property but check out property management agencies and private landlords too and make sure you are not paying over the odds
Whether you are dealing with an agent or a landlord,  remember that  you hold the upper hand in this economic downturn. They want to rent out the property and if it is empty when you view they will be eager to get someone in as soon as possible. Make an offer below the rent being asked for or haggle over price - this is Mauritius after all.
When you leave , don't forget your deposit if you leave the property in the same conditions as when you rented it

123whitehill

That makes sense. Thanks for your inputs!

DILLOO Shaheel

From my experience, you pay to the landlord and it is the landlord who pays to the agent.

Look at your contracts well, the lease agreement, it should taken into account explicitly of what you paid to the agent in terms of one month location.

As you said you worked hard for it!

tashwilmot

Hi, we are considering Northfields school , where do i then look for rentals properties that are close to this school?  Any recommendation for agents in this area that could help?  Early stage of doing our homework, so trying to get an idea of what rentals cost on the island and what you get for your money.  Thank you Natasha

Marylyn  NG

Hi ,

Referring to your querry for 1month rental to pay the agency normal practice is the owner who pays 1 month to the agency.  However it depends on the agency .. 

[moderated]

Thank You.
Marylyn

Moderated by Julien 3 years ago
Reason : advertising is not allowed on the forum, please register your services in our directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
ssaib219

yes 99% of agents charge both the renter AND the owner 1 months commission and you should expect to pay 1 months deposit returnable on leaving

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Accommodation in Mauritius
    Accommodation in Mauritius

Thanks to its idyllic setting and its proximity to Africa, India, Australia and Asia in general, this small, ...

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles