Hungary in the News

https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/news-word-in-different-fonts-hungary-word-in-red-in-the-middle-picture-id1214264163

If you find an interesting news article about Hungary, this thread is for you.

Local versions of Facebook have been launched in Poland and Hungary

Poland and Hungary have seen the launch recently of locally developed versions of Facebook, as criticism of the US social media giants grows amid allegations of censorship and the silencing of conservative voices.

SimCityAT wrote:

Local versions of Facebook have been launched in Poland and Hungary

Poland and Hungary have seen the launch recently of locally developed versions of Facebook, as criticism of the US social media giants grows amid allegations of censorship and the silencing of conservative voices.

Sounds like deja-vu.   Biden has it in for Zuckerberg and some of the others.  Apparently Zuckerberg is persona non grata these days following Trump's shenanigans.  Probably Facebook will get broken up and some acquisitions reversed.  And quite rightly! 

Hungary used to have a Facebook like tool called iwiw.  It was very popular here.  Maybe it'll make a comeback!

I am a bit naive, and also a bit older, I do not like (or understand all the apps). I just have a daily routine of looking at bbc/bloomberg/FAZ, but also Daily news Hungary (even if too much pro government), also some other sites but for reliable (non-conspiracy)  I rely on the above main sites.

cdw057 wrote:

I am a bit naive, and also a bit older, I do not like (or understand all the apps). I just have a daily routine of looking at bbc/bloomberg/FAZ, but also Daily news Hungary (even if too much pro government), also some other sites but for reliable (non-conspiracy)  I rely on the above main sites.

BTW, Mrs Fluffy has checked into Hundub (HU Facebook) and it is terrible apparently. 

Not sure what FAZ is - Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung I suppose. 

I've heard of Fasz.   

I understand that it's a party organ for Fidesz and its leadership.

SimCityAT wrote:

Poland and Hungary have seen the launch recently of locally developed versions of Facebook,

The source from the above comment, not hidden in hypertext* link:

https://balkaninsight.com/2021/01/25/fa … nd-poland/

The reason I am posting this is users of tablets and phone may not be able to preview the actual link in their small device browser when it is a URL embedded in text hyperlink. And for transparency, people should be allowed to decide if "balkaninsight.com" is a domain they want to visit or not. So always a good idea to separate the actual link text. Yes, it does not look as "cool" but, again, transparency.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertext

Taltos167 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

Poland and Hungary have seen the launch recently of locally developed versions of Facebook,

The reason I am posting this is users of tablets and phone may not be able to preview the actual link in their small device browser when it is a URL embedded in text hyperlink. And for transparency, people should be allowed to decide if "balkaninsight.com" is a domain they want to visit or not. So always a good idea to separate the actual link text. Yes, it does not look as "cool" but, again, transparency.

Never had a problem with any of my devices reading hidden in hypertext.

SimCityAT wrote:
Taltos167 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

Never had a problem with any of my devices reading hidden in hypertext.

Me neither.  If I'm suspicious of a web site, I use a private browser session.  Then nothing is retained (supposedly).

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban has no savings set aside, his assets include his house in his home village Felcsut and an apartment in Budapest, according to his latest asset declaration.

Orban still has HUF882,000 (€2,475) in outstanding debt from a 2002 loan worth HUF20mn taken out with his wife. At the end of January 31, Hungarian politicians have to submit their yearly asset declarations. The scheme has not changed since the first democratic elections in 1990.

The whole procedure is merely a formality as MPs providing false, untrue information are not sanctioned. The declarations are handwritten, scanned, and uploaded to the parliament's website. The declaration of relatives remains undisclosed. NGOs have called for a wide-scale overhaul of the process.

Transparency International says that a central electronic database should be set up to create more transparency and that asset declarations should be audited by the tax office. They also called for genuine sanctions for providing false content.

The annual asset declaration gives ammunition to the press for a few days. Opposition politicians are scrutinized by Orban loyal media, which remains silent when it comes to how government MPs fared during the year. Independent media on the other hand gives a much more detailed account of the wealth of politicians.

The reports show big disparities among politicians.

Unlike the prime minister, Antal Rogan has pocketed HUF158mn in 2020 thanks to an IT invention under his name, lifting assets of the cabinet's chief communication officer to HUF822mn. In his 27-year carrier, Rogan managed to save HUF2mn every month in his 27-year political carrier.

MPs salaries were raised by 11% last year. The gross monthly income of HUF1.1mn translates into a net HUF733,700.

Rogan was the architect of the residency bond scheme running between 2013 and 2017. Under the programme, foreign nationals who bought securities from a licensed agent backed by the residency bonds could apply for fast-tracked permanent residency in Hungary and the Schengen Zone.

The threshold for the purchase was set at €250,000, which was raised to €300,000 later on. Hungary raised some €1.7bn from the sale of the bonds. Intermediary companies selling the bonds operated in offshore or tax-haven countries.

In comparison to the previous year, Hungary's leading opposition party leader former prime minister Ferenc Gyurcsany increased his securities assets to HUF823mn. Security-backed loans grew to HUF214mn from HUF150mn.

He took out HUF55mn in dividends from his company Altus down from HUF238mn a year earlier. Gyurcsany has two properties, one in his hometown of Papa, in central Hungary, and one in Kotcse, a small rural town near Lake Balaton.

I guess this why he got the taxpayer to pay for his son's education in the UK?

SimCityAT wrote:

Don't know about that, please elaborate!

BTW, "hidden assets" are rumoured to be held by proxies - either corporations in places like BVI, Caymans etc and in the names of collaborators close to the inner circle.   One can easily see how it might work.   It's not unusual, seen often elsewhere. Some oligarch is supposed to be the owner of "Putin's palace" on the Black Sea. It was the subject of a Navalny expose on the subject and released just when Navalny arrived back in Russia.  We've not got that far yet here but I suppose the same kinds of things are going on and it can only get worse over time.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

Don't know about that, please elaborate!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 … taxpayers/

Viktor Orban accused of putting son through Sandhurst at Hungarian taxpayer's expense
Hungarian government insists that Gaspar Orban got no special treatment or scholarship to attend British military training college

Opposition leaders have accused Hungarian prime minister Viktor Orban of putting his son through training at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst at the expense of the taxpayer.

Gaspar Orban, the son of Hungary's authoritarian leader, graduated in December after attending the nine-month course, which local media said cost about £93,000.

Viktor Orban has faced frequent accusations of cronyism and of using the levers of state power to benefit and reward those closest to him since becoming prime minister for a second time in 2010. 

The opposition Democratic Coalition demanded that Viktor and Gaspar Orban, along with Tibor Benko, the Hungarian defence minister, stand before the parliament's defence committee to answer questions over the affair.

The party wanted to know why Gaspar could attend Sandhurst at the expense of the “Hungarian taxpayer” and a price that was “unaffordable to Hungarians”, the Hungary Today website reported.

The Hungarian government told the Daily Telegraph that Gaspar Orban had received no preferential treatment.

“The Ministry of Defence rejects the accusations of Left-wing MPs, and wishes to stress that naturally they and their children have the same opportunity as anyone else to apply for membership of the Hungarian Defence Forces, within which they would also be able to train abroad if they meet the relevant requirements,” the government said.

“Everyone in the Hungarian Defence Forces has the opportunity to apply for various courses and training programmes, both at home and abroad,” the government told The Telegraph.

“As part of this, in recent years 163 Hungarian military personnel have participated in various training courses in many countries around the world.”

Hungarian news website Telex published a photo of the younger Mr Orban in a group photograph of Sandhurst's foreign students, and found that his name had appeared on a list of graduates published on January 1.

Only three Hungarian students, including Gaspar Orban, benefitted from the training in the elite academy.

“The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst offers a number of courses to international students. Last year, three candidates funded by the Hungarian Ministry of Defence graduated from the Academy, alongside individuals from 43 other countries,” An Army spokesperson said.

A defence cooperation agreement with Hungary includes courses at Sandhurst. There were three self-funded places on commissioning courses in the last 18 months, which were nominated by the Hungarian Ministry of Defence.

Gasper Orban, 28, had previously shown little sign that he was interested in a military career before joining the army last year.

When he was younger Orban dabbled at becoming a professional football player, allegedly to help please his soccer-loving father.

Having failed to make the cut in the professional game, he later founded a Christian community in Hungary having, allegedly, found Christ while teaching football to children in Uganda.

Andras Fekete-Gyor, a politician from the liberal opposition party Momentum, said on Facebook that the prime minister should have paid for his son to attend Sandhurst “out of his own” pocket but could not resist the state footing the bill.

Members of the ruling Fidesz party have robustly defended Mr Orban. Szilárd Németh, the deputy defence minister, said Mr Fekete-Gyor should join the army.

“We will do our best to ensure that Fekete-Gyor becomes a self-sacrificing, absolutely duty-conscious, straightforward, and gallant officer of the Hungarian Homeland, a man who is accustomed to a modest lifestyle and passionate about his future vocation,” he said.

Fidesz's parliamentary group leader Máté Kocsis said that the prime minister's family had been attacked “for the umpteenth time”.

Sandhurst counts Prince William and Prince Harry, as well as Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg among its former cadets.

SimCityAT wrote:

The opposition Democratic Coalition demanded that Viktor and Gaspar Orban, along with Tibor Benko, the Hungarian defence minister, stand before the parliament's defence committee to answer questions over the affair.

Interesting. 

If the son is in the Army, then he's an ordinary civil servant and parliament should have no problem bringing him to stand before the committee.  But I'll believe it when I see it.

Pressure to procreate: inside Hungary's baby drive – video

Hungary has one of the lowest birthrates in Europe, and the prime minister, Viktor Orbán, is spending significant money trying to convince young people to have babies. Leah Green and Ekaterina Ochagavia visit Budapest, where they meet three women of similar age and with very different outlooks on the country's parenting drive.

SimCityAT wrote:

Pressure to procreate: inside Hungary's baby drive – video

Hungary has one of the lowest birthrates in Europe, and the prime minister, Viktor Orbán, is spending significant money trying to convince young people to have babies. Leah Green and Ekaterina Ochagavia visit Budapest, where they meet three women of similar age and with very different outlooks on the country's parenting drive.

Update:

Nice to see Hungary in a video but the interviewer didn't quiz the O1G people on their wider views about immigration, democracy for example.    We know some of these "baby people" around here and their belief system is not one of inclusivity or reflective of society.  O1G has a big problem with his own policies and rhetoric.  Case of cognitive dissonance.

About the great lakes of Hungary and the building boom on the shores threatening an eco-disaster:

How Hungary's great lakes threaten to put Budapest and Brussels on a new collision course

Echos of Radio Free Europe and Radio Liberty*, this time via DW:

Deutsche Welle resumes Hungarian service amid free press fears

*Note: RFE/RL started in Hungarian again in late 2020

My husband and his friends used to listen to "rock and roll" music over Radio Free Europe when they were teenagers, Real rebels and troublemakers...
Hard to believe it was illegal to tune into that station just to feel like a  normal teenager.
Heard they are holding some anti- regulation protests today in Hero's Square.  I hope these protesters were not silly enough to post their pics on FB or to even bring their phones with them.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My husband and his friends used to listen to "rock and roll" music over Radio Free Europe when they were teenagers, Real rebels and troublemakers...
Hard to believe it was illegal to tune into that station just to feel like a  normal teenager.
Heard they are holding some anti- regulation protests today in Hero's Square.  I hope these protesters were not silly enough to post their pics on FB or to even bring their phones with them.

I am not sure exactly what they are protesting about about.  Might be anti-vaxxers or anti-O1G or whatever.   But yes, plenty of pictures of visible faces on the Internet. 

People publish video on web sites taken from vantage points in Belarus and Burma and it's clear the locations would be identifiable.   In those countries, it's a matter of life and death to take that risk of increasing one's visibility.

Yesterday, they were protesting about lockdown measures...

Residents in several European countries express frustrations at COVID measures

Orban's Fidesz quits EPP grouping

I could say, move along, nothing to see here.   

Cynics might cast this as a prelude to casting the EU as an enemy  as basis for an option for HUexit.

Euronews has pushed the boat out on HU coverage:

https://www.euronews.com/2021/03/05/hun … r-finances

https://www.euronews.com/2021/03/05/hun … ktor-orban

https://www.euronews.com/2021/03/03/hun … fred-weber

https://www.euronews.com/2021/03/04/una … -swap-joke - Ukrainian Zakarapattia also borders Hungary.

German ZDF report on Hungary (in German):

https://www.zdf.de/politik/auslandsjour … a-106.html

And same video here (scroll down), with subtitles in Hungarian:

https://nyugatifeny.hu/2021/03/06/egy-n … obal-video

On Hungary's Lake Balaton, vital reeds cleared to give tourists a view

We've seen that pea soup algal invasion at first hand. Last year was the first time I'd ever seen it so obviously.   It's deoxygenating the water.  It looks like mud on the bottom more than plants now.  Don't see as many fish either.

Hungary Denies Independent Radio's Frequency Bid Amid Media Freedom Concerns

BUDAPEST -- Hungary's media regulator on March 11 rejected an application from one of the country's last independent news radio stations to regain its broadcasting frequency in what the International Press Institute (IPI) called “yet another afront” to press freedom in the European Union member state.

Klubradio, whose news and talk content is often critical of Prime Minister Viktor Orban's government, has been broadcasting online since mid-February after a court upheld a previous decision by the National Media and Infocommunications Authority (NMHH) not to extend its broadcasting license.

The radio station applied on an open tender to regain a frequency it lost last month, but the NMHH denied its request -- despite it being the only applicant -- arguing that the application contained errors and did not meet basic requirements for radio broadcasting.

Klubradio has 15 days to appeal the decision.

The radio station called it “unlawful” and vowed to continue broadcasting online.

Critics accuse the NMHH -- whose members are all Orban's supporters -- of exercising political bias in its decision making. The government denies interfering in media issues.

Scott Griffen, deputy director of the Austrian-based IPI, said in a statement that the “latest arbitrary decision” by the “captured” media regulator “shows the lengths to which the Hungarian authorities will go” to ensure Klubradio is blocked from returning to the airwaves before next year's parliamentary elections.

Griffen urged the European Commission to “immediately intensify its engagement with the Hungarian authorities and investigate whether the decisions by the Media Council in this and other cases contravene EU law.”

The European Commission has urged the country to take action to allow Klubradio to continue broadcasting, saying the loss of the station's frequency had occurred “on the basis of highly questionable legal grounds.”

On March 10, the European Parliament debated the erosion of media freedom in Hungary -- as well as in Poland and Slovenia.

Hungary is under EU investigation for undermining the independence of the judiciary, media, and nongovernmental organizations, and risks losing access to tens of billions of euros in funds from the bloc.

The country is ranked 89th out of 180 countries in the 2020 World Press Freedom Index compiled by Reporters Without Borders. Only Bulgaria, 111th, is ranked lower among the EU's 27 member nations.

SimCityAT wrote:

Griffen urged the European Commission to “immediately intensify its engagement with the Hungarian authorities and investigate whether the decisions by the Media Council in this and other cases contravene EU law.”

The European Commission has urged the country to take action to allow Klubradio to continue broadcasting, saying the loss of the station's frequency had occurred “on the basis of highly questionable legal grounds.”

On March 10, the European Parliament debated the erosion of media freedom in Hungary -- as well as in Poland and Slovenia.

Hungary is under EU investigation for undermining the independence of the judiciary, media, and nongovernmental organizations, and risks losing access to tens of billions of euros in funds from the bloc.

The country is ranked 89th out of 180 countries in the 2020 World Press Freedom Index compiled by Reporters Without Borders. Only Bulgaria, 111th, is ranked lower among the EU's 27 member nations.

Doesn't surprise me.

Hungary and Poland as they stand politically now are incompatible with mainstream European values. 

A little bit more oil was thrown on the HU/PL fire with the latest symbolic vote in the EU parliament.

MEPs vote for LGBT freedom zone

All the EU can do is have more symbolic votes.  They are incapable of taking any further serious action at any worthwhile speed - why don't they suspend access to new funds pending the outcome of investigations?  O1G is just laughing at them and will use it  to cast the EU as an enemy of convenience for his own political ends.  Those suffering in this ridiculous atmosphere can only hope the people will come to their senses and will throughly reject Fidesz in the elections.

EU Loses Top Court Fights With Hungary, Poland Over Taxes

There's always been a conflict between taxes and state aid.   Lowering taxes for a certain section of economy is going to lead to that accusation.   And Varga Judit's crowing is laughable - they had to reduce taxes after criticism from Brussels.    I think it's not the end of it.

Hungary has form on tax manipulation.  Post accession it used to try and charge registration fees based upon the new price of a secondhand car when those cars were imported into Hungary.  So a EUR 1000 car would have taxes paid on EUR 10,000 original new price.   It was soon stopped as it was an obstacle to free movement.

Opposition forces Orbán into U-turn over Chinese campus plan in Budapest

Protests against the construction of a Chinese university in Budapest have energised the Hungarian opposition ahead of elections next year, and forced the government into a rare U-turn.

SimCityAT wrote:

Opposition forces Orbán into U-turn over Chinese campus plan in Budapest

Protests against the construction of a Chinese university in Budapest have energised the Hungarian opposition ahead of elections next year, and forced the government into a rare U-turn.

Very interesting.  Thanks for posting.   

As I've said before, I've seen an uptick in older/retired Asian people around this area.   That's not a racist comment.  I don't mind them being here as I like diversity enriching us all.  But I do wonder what they are doing here.  I see a couple of them in the forest when I'm walking the dog.  They are always very friendly and smiling. I've tried to engage them in conversation but they don't speak any common language.  So we just nod and smile. 

What I don't like about this Fudan idea is that O1G forced out CEU.   He's really saying he's buying into the state control (of China) and rejecting the democratic credentials of CEU.  You can see people thinking this is not what we expected. 

Mrs Fluffy has a theory they are loading the government up with terrible debt so whoever comes next inherits a poisoned chalice.  It's also easier to be critical in opposition than in power.  Perhaps this is intention.   I think Mrs Fluffy has got it right.

My own gut feeling is that O1G and Co have become tired and stale, they've run out of ideas, drawing on divisive politics and promotion of an atmosphere of corruption will eventually bring them down.  It always happens in the end. If they are finally out, they'll be out for 10-20 years at least.   A generation perhaps.

You can see how the behaviour of autocratic parents destroys the chances of their kids.   History is littered with this kind of thing - Stalin's daughter Svetlana,  Ivanka Trump is a walking disaster politically and perhaps O1G's kids and spouses will get it in the neck come O1G's downfall.

Hungary's anti-gay law threatens programming of TV favourites

There is growing international condemnation of a Hungarian law that bans the depiction or promotion of homosexuality to those under 18. The controversy surrounds a single paragraph in an otherwise widely backed law against paedophiles, passed by the Hungarian parliament on 16 June.

SimCityAT wrote:

Hungary's anti-gay law threatens programming of TV favourites

There is growing international condemnation of a Hungarian law that bans the depiction or promotion of homosexuality to those under 18. The controversy surrounds a single paragraph in an otherwise widely backed law against paedophiles, passed by the Hungarian parliament on 16 June.

It's probably one of the worst laws or changes passed in recent years.   

The LGBT community is this election's enemy and the conflation of paedophilia with gay people is the rhetoric of years ago.  Alternative parties such as Jobbik made a mistake voting for the law - they've basically bought into the division of Fidesz.

No-one can trust any of them to change any law if they win.

Something further....

Dutch PM Rutte: No place in EU for Hungary with anti-LGBT law

It's an interesting development but remains to be seen if they really do anything. 

Usually the EU squeaks rather than roars.

O1G wants the EU money.  Hitting him in his pocket will certainly make it painful.   

I reckon he might just throw his cards on the table, go kamikaze and hold a referendum on EU membership.    I am not sure the country could survive a HUexit.

Hungary 'has no place in the EU anymore,' Dutch leader says

Hungary "has no place" in the European Union after passing a controversial new bill banning LGBTQ content in schools, Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said on Thursday.

SimCityAT wrote:

Hungary 'has no place in the EU anymore,' Dutch leader says

Hungary "has no place" in the European Union after passing a controversial new bill banning LGBTQ content in schools, Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said on Thursday.

Looks like it's hotting up for Viktor.....I hope he's very uncomfortable....

EU leaders blast Viktor Orbán over anti-LGBT bill during tense and at times emotional summit

BTW, there's also a discussion in the politics thread for Hungary.

Hungary: health care workers protest for higher wages

BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — Several thousand health care workers and their supporters gathered in Hungary's capital, Budapest, on Saturday to demand wage increases and better conditions for those working in the country's ailing public health system.

The crowd, which included supporters from several of Hungary's largest trade unions, said the COVID-19 pandemic had only worsened the already precarious situation of health care workers while their demands for pay hikes and reduced working hours had gone unheeded by the government.

“The past period has been very difficult for us. The COVID pandemic has turned our lives upside down,” said Kata Gornicsak, who has worked as a chief nurse for 26 years at a hospital in Budapest. “The reason we are here is not because of hope but desperation. We want respect, which we are not getting at all.”

The Hungarian Chamber of Health Care Professionals, which called for the demonstration, said the government had not consulted with them before passing an overhaul of the health care system in March that increased wages for doctors but not for many others working in hospitals, like nurses and orderlies.

“The doctors earn very well, while the nurses who are feeding and dressing the patients while working double shifts, including nights, aren't paid well at all,” said Marika Bognar, a nurse who traveled to the demonstration from Bacs-Kiskun county in southern Hungary.

Hungary's health care system has struggled to cope with the strain of the COVID-19 pandemic, which ravaged the country in fall and winter, giving it one of the highest per-capita death rates in the world.

A government decree in November, issued as part of Hungary's pandemic state of emergency, stripped health care professionals of their rights to resign in an effort to prevent an outflow of overburdened doctors and nurses.

While the new agreement on wages and benefits was signed by some 95% of those working in Hungary's public health care sector, as many as 5,000 refused to sign the new required contracts.

A survey released in June by the Independent Health Care Union found that nearly half of health care professionals in Hungary planned either to leave the sector or retire as soon as legal conditions allow it.

Gornicsak, the Budapest nurse, said that while some workers had received increased benefits, they were not enough to offset poor pay and intense demands arising from the pandemic.

“Most of us received 10 extra vacation days, which we are very happy with, but we probably won't be able to use them because we constantly have to work,” she said.

In attendance at the protest was Budapest's liberal mayor Gergely Karacsony, who plans to run against Hungary's right-wing Prime Minister Viktor Orban in closely watched elections next spring.

Karacsony told The Associated Press that Hungary's health care system needs increased funding, and that “putting (it) back on its feet must be one of the most important tasks of the next government.”

“The government should not be in a state of war with health care workers, but should jointly develop a system of wages and conditions which can keep health care professionals and doctors in the system,” Karacsony said.

SimCityAT wrote:

Karacsony told The Associated Press that Hungary's health care system needs increased funding, and that “putting (it) back on its feet must be one of the most important tasks of the next government.”

“The government should not be in a state of war with health care workers, but should jointly develop a system of wages and conditions which can keep health care professionals and doctors in the system,” Karacsony said.

Not surprised. 

Healthcare expenditure in Hungary at  6.7% is well below EU average (9.8%) - statistics from 2018 - almost half that of highest spender, Germany (11.5%):

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/images/thumb/b/b8/Current_healthcare_expenditure,_2018_SPS20.png/800px-Current_healthcare_expenditure,_2018_SPS20.png

Where's the money gone?  Vanity football stadiums and arguable grandiose plans that put the country in hock - the high speed railway line to Belgrade, Fudan University and Felcsut Interational Airport.