Menu
Expat.com

Vaccines for expats

Last activity 27 June 2021 by OceanBeach92107

Overweight Unicorn

Does anyone have information on the possibility of expats receiving the vaccine in country once it becomes *readily available.

It would seem impossible to go back to the UK and return once fully inoculated (currently 12 weeks between jabs) as the situation is still to dire there. Then I would assume that we would be very far down the pecking order to receive it in Vietnam... to the point of not being considered.

*Readily available - I'm not for one minute suggesting that I have a right to be considered, especially in the early stages of availability, as there are far more deserving than I. I'm just curious how it may work.
If countries (like the Seychelles) open their borders to anyone who has been vaccinated and no quarantine required, it could mean and expat is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Overweight Unicorn

Anyone heard anything now that the vaccinations have started to roll out?

I'm aware of the priorities. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard any mutterings of possible expat vaccinations?

OceanBeach92107
Overweight Unicorn wrote:

Anyone heard anything now that the vaccinations have started to roll out?

I'm aware of the priorities. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard any mutterings of possible expat vaccinations?

I just posted an update from the Ministry of Health in the sticky thread dedicated to official news from them:

expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=888733&p=5#5063885

From my reading of the translation it appears that the rollout for foreigners will happen in April immediately after the government makes a decision about vaccine passports/vaccine visas.

Ciambella
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I just posted an update from the Ministry of Health in the sticky thread dedicated to official news from them:

expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=888733&p=5#5063885

From my reading of the translation it appears that the rollout for foreigners will happen in April immediately after the government makes a decision about vaccine passports/vaccine visas.

No, it only means that after the government makes a decision about vaccine passport for foreigners, different ministries and all mobile carriers will be ready to implement the technology infrastructure required for such project.  The MoH will also need to work with foreign health agencies so that the vaccine passport issued in Vietnam will be accepted in other countries.

In re: the plan to *physically* vaccinate foreigners, it's not mentioned in that article or elsewhere in the government and other ministries' media.

Jimpdxusa

Here in the States our population is 25% vaccinated.  Do you see Vietnam opening up boarders to 90 visas in 2021?

How is the AstraZeneca vaccine going in Vietnam with reports coming in across the globe that it in some people it is clotting blood?

Safepeter

My understanding is that No Vaccine = No Visa.
To me that makes a whole lot of sense. It takes us back to when I was first traveling internationally we carried an additional passport.
The vaccine passport (yellow) which showed stamped proof of vaccines one had had prior to traveling.

Like a visa, this was checked prior to boarding and again on arrival. Once checked your national passport was stamped.

mtgmike

Does this mention what they plan to do with people that already have visas/TRCs, and are in country?

I'm wondering if they are planning implementation at borders only, or if they will require people already in country to provide certificates of a vaccine in order to stay.

If they require vaccine certificates for people already in country, while no vaccine is made available, that could be quite life changing.

My wife and her family seem to think I'm not going anywhere, but I'm a bit more concerned.

Guest2023
mtgmike wrote:

Does this mention what they plan to do with people that already have visas/TRCs, and are in country?

I'm wondering if they are planning implementation at borders only, or if they will require people already in country to provide certificates of a vaccine in order to stay.

If they require vaccine certificates for people already in country, while no vaccine is made available, that could be quite life changing.

My wife and her family seem to think I'm not going anywhere, but I'm a bit more concerned.

I doubt very much that the VN govt will ask you to do a visa run and not let you back in due to not having the vaccination that is unavailable to foreigners.

Ciambella
mtgmike wrote:

The government doesn't even require its citizens to be vaccinated.  They have 98 million people to worry about before they would bother with in-country foreigners.  The vaccine passport is not a requirement until you travel.

Your wife and her family are correct in their thinking; you're not going anywhere unless you fight your way out.

AndyHCMC
Ciambella wrote:
mtgmike wrote:

The government doesn't even require its citizens to be vaccinated.  They have 98 million people to worry about before they would bother with in-country foreigners.  The vaccine passport is not a requirement until you travel.

Your wife and her family are correct in their thinking; you're not going anywhere unless you fight your way out.

Thats good 98 million to find out if it's safe before I think of having one.

paulmsn

If they decide in April to allow foreigners with vaccinations into the country, I'm on the next plane back to the US.  I'll stay long enough to get both vaccinations and get a few medical issues dealt with, then come back to Saigon, at least until my lease expires.

doctorgroove

Why not check with your respective Embassies and see if they are providing the Vaccination to their expat citizens?

TC-in-DaNang

My thoughts exactly. I've been here for over a year now, and have loved the place, but am looking to move on in my retirement travels at some point (rather than return to Australia under quarantine and expensive flight conditions).

Don't want to queue-jump, but would love to hear some info about vaccination availability/process for folks like me.

TC-in-DaNang

Re checking with one's embassy whether they'll do anything ... I did - with Australian embassy. They're not doing anything for Aussies in Vietnam.

Guest2023
TC-in-DaNang wrote:

Re checking with one's embassy whether they'll do anything ... I did - with Australian embassy. They're not doing anything for Aussies in Vietnam.

Australian govt does squat for us, and now they want to tax us on our personal homes.

paulmsn
doctorgroove wrote:

Why not check with your respective Embassies and see if they are providing the Vaccination to their expat citizens?

The US Embassy says the US Government does not plan to provide vaccines for citizens overseas.

https://vn.usembassy.gov/wp-content/upl … letter.pdf

OceanBeach92107
paulmsn wrote:

If they decide in April to allow foreigners with vaccinations into the country, I'm on the next plane back to the US.  I'll stay long enough to get both vaccinations and get a few medical issues dealt with, then come back to Saigon, at least until my lease expires.

I'll be interested to see if they honor all brands of vaccine.

I went to the Gulf Coast Veterans Administration Medical Center today (walk-in clinic; no line) and was given a choice between the Moderna 2-shot series (30 days apart) or the Johnson and Johnson single shot vaccine.

I decided to get the J&J shot.

I'm hoping Vietnam 🇻🇳 and Thailand 🇹🇭 both honor the J&J vaccine for entry.

Yoda0807

Just saw a “vaccination record card” posted on Instagram by a Vietnamese visiting the US.  From the look of it how can any country verify that little piece of paper is authentic and official?

goodolboy
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
paulmsn wrote:

I'll be interested to see if they honor all brands of vaccine.

I went to the Gulf Coast Veterans Administration Medical Center today (walk-in clinic; no line) and was given a choice between the Moderna 2-shot series (30 days apart) or the Johnson and Johnson single shot vaccine.

I decided to get the J&J shot.

I'm hoping Vietnam 🇻🇳 and Thailand 🇹🇭 both honor the J&J vaccine for entry.

Saw on the Vt news they have now approved the Pfizer jab. Would be difficult to justify not honoring it for entry if approved. Same with Astra......far as I know its been the main one rolled out here to health workers etc so again would be difficult to justify not honoring it. Not sure about the J & J though if its been approved yet here.
As for Thailand I read a news article that Thailand has fast tracked their own home produced version of Astra vaccine produced in a factory owned by the King.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/08/asia … index.html

Irasshaimase
goodolboy wrote:

Saw on the Vt news they have now approved the Pfizer jab.

Does this mean something for new entrant which are already vaccinated with Pfizer?
Perhaps some kind of shorter quarantine period?

Thanks

goodolboy
Irasshaimase wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Saw on the Vt news they have now approved the Pfizer jab.

Does this mean something for new entrant which are already vaccinated with Pfizer?
Perhaps some kind of shorter quarantine period?

Thanks

Nothing official on that but a week ago there was a post on here I think that they were looking to reduce the quarantine period for vaccinated people but all has gone quiet on that front since the new outbreak here as far as I know that is!!

Irasshaimase

Just wondering how they'll mange for people who are already vaccinated. For instance if they'll require some kind of paper and if so which one...of course it is not possible now to know until a law will be passed. Just trying to speculate..

Fancybear

I have a question for the forum. I don't wish to stir up debate on whether to take a vaccine or not. My question is, if you refuse to take a vaccine, and not on medical Dr recommendation grounds, but purely as a personal choice to refuse it, when in country, what is likely to be the future for you in the country?

And likewise, if I were to eventually return to Vietnam and accept quarantine for 2 or 3 weeks but refuse the vaccine, will I be given the freedom to live in Vietnam unvaccinated?.

To repeat,
i  wish not to stir up debate on pro and con of vaccine or antagonise anyone with what my choice is  but just wish get an idea of how the authorities will react to me ? Will I even get allowed in?

Guest2023
Fancybear wrote:

I have a question for the forum. I don't wish to stir up debate on whether to take a vaccine or not. My question is, if you refuse to take a vaccine, and not on medical Dr recommendation grounds, but purely as a personal choice to refuse it, when in country, what is likely to be the future for you in the country?

And likewise, if I were to eventually return to Vietnam and accept quarantine for 2 or 3 weeks but refuse the vaccine, will I be given the freedom to live in Vietnam unvaccinated?.

To repeat,
i  wish not to stir up debate on pro and con of vaccine or antagonise anyone with what my choice is  but just wish get an idea of how the authorities will react to me ? Will I even get allowed in?

If you can predict the future, you may be able to answer this. I would guess that Viet Nam may request people who enter show that they have been vaccinated.

Fancybear

yes, the future looks a bit unknown for now. And yes, I will not be surprised if they refuse unvaccinated. I'll be curious of any feedback from anyone as time moves on on this.

charliefarang

Last week expat teachers were vaccinated at International Schools in Saigon... I am still waiting for mine. I am a teacher from the UK

goodolboy
charliefarang wrote:

Last week expat teachers were vaccinated at International Schools in Saigon... I am still waiting for mine. I am a teacher from the UK

My ex landlady is Vietnamese & is a teacher at a government school. She messaged  me on Friday to say that she just had her first Astra shot.

Ciambella
goodolboy wrote:
charliefarang wrote:

My ex landlady is Vietnamese & is a teacher at a government school. She messaged  me on Friday to say that she just had her first Astra shot.

My nephew's entire family (ages 22 - 64) including a relative who stays with them temporarily (not registered), was vaccinated with AstraZeneca today in Phu Nhuan.  He's a retired government employee.

Ciambella

It seems Saigonnais are being vaccinated randomly.  An assistant coach for the badminton team in Phu Nhuan was vaccinated last week, and Gobot said the staff of a car wash company were also vaccinated today.

OceanBeach92107
Ciambella wrote:

It seems Saigonnais are being vaccinated randomly.  An assistant coach for the badminton team in Phu Nhuan was vaccinated last week, and Gobot said the staff of a car wash company were also vaccinated today.

A Car Wash???

wink.png

Articles to help you in your expat project in Ho Chi Minh City

All of Ho Chi Minh City's guide articles