Purchasing a Vehicle in Bahrain

Hi there!

I'm still new to the island. Got here in October 2020.

I still have a valid US Driver's License. What do I need to be able to finance a newer vehicle here? From what I understood, some people are still driving on their US license, but the dealership said I need a Bahrain License. What is the process and how much does it cost to get a license here?

Thanks for any and all help. Much appreciated.

You can't own a vehicle on a US license.  And theoretically, you shouldn't even be driving on a US license if you have already gotten your residency.

The license can be converted. I think it costs 26.5 and an eye test.   There are threads posted recently where people have explained the process. Browse or search the forum.

So all these people here on military orders shouldn't be driving? I can almost guarantee they don't have Bahrain License and they have cars registered here that they have had shipped here. And what about the people renting on US licenses?

Thank you for the info on the Conversion though. I'll browse and see what else I can find.

US Military is different and is allowed exceptions in a lot of cases.  I am referring to average US citizens.

Also renting and owning are completely different situations.  Rental liability is easier to cover as long as you have a valid driving license from a country which eligible for conversion in Bahrain.  Ownership is that liability PLUS the surety that you are a legal resident of Bahrain which then links to Bahrain driving license.  Don't compare to US military as they have their over arching deals which cover their personnel as at the backend, the guarantee is the US Government :).

Ok haha I was just asking for my own knowledge. I am not active duty but I am a US government Civilian working here for the Navy in Bahrain. Not sure if that is any different than anyone else.

Yep civilian contractors are different.