LGBTQ Community In Nairobi

Are there any LGBTQ groups one could join here?

One for a little care - I understand gay sex is illegal and homosexuality is viewed very harshly.

Yes, there are local groups and their is some human rights advocacy being provided by some international organizations as well.

Look for:
Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya (GALCK)
National Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (NGLHRC)
Ishtar MSM
Transgender Education & Advocacy (TEA)
Voices of Women in Western Kenya (VOWWEK)

KPMDoyle wrote:

Yes, there are local groups and their is some human rights advocacy being provided by some international organizations as well.

Look for:
Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya (GALCK)
National Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (NGLHRC)
Ishtar MSM
Transgender Education & Advocacy (TEA)
Voices of Women in Western Kenya (VOWWEK)

Can you tell the OP about safety for LGBT over there, especially if you join such groups? :)

Thanks but I meant like, social groups.

Of course you should be aware that homosexuality is illegal in Kenya, so the social groups tend to be very low key.  However, it is becoming more tolerated, particularly in Nairobi.

I wouldn't say that being LGBT in Kenya puts you particularly at risk if you don't advertise the fact in public, so no public displays of affection, for example.

Kenya is a very conservative society, particularly outside Nairobi and public displays of affection can be frowned upon for straight couples too.

I don't personally know of any social groups, but I am sure they exist. I would make contact with some of the advocacy groups I listed.... they will be able to put you in contact.