Vaccines required in Brazil

JnJ will release their 2 shot clinical trial results soon. It will be obvious that 2 shots are better than 1.

News to me. Have not read this.
There are a lot of unknowns as to how long all vaccines will last. Who knows we all may need a booster every year.
I am sure not going to wait on another study. If it keeps you well and out of an ICU, take whatever is available

jc1234 wrote:

JnJ will release their 2 shot clinical trial results soon. It will be obvious that 2 shots are better than 1.

As one who has worked in medicine, from Paramedic to Nuclear Medicine, and later science for forty years, teaches almost thirty different college science courses including microbiology, medical genetics, anatomy & physiology, etc., I am curious how anyone could make such a vague and blanket statement. Without a great deal of testing on humans through clinical trials, I for one am not into having my DNA/RNA modified, (mRNA) through new vaccines. We have been doing this on many levels, even in high school labs, for about a decade, but without long-term data of human testing.
For the time being, I'd stick with Viral vector vaccines, if any at all.  These have been in broad use for fifty years.

okay dumb this down for an ole cowboy rraypo
So you would take the CoronaVac or an inactive vaccine over the others?

I travelled to Brazil every year from 2012 -just before covid 2019. I checked vaccinations or medical precautions needed for the NE region of Brazil, I think I only updated a hepatitis vaccination, nothing else.
The NE has relatively less risk of disease. Because of coronavirus I did not visit last winter, and next winter is a worry, I think I will be ok from UK if/when the promised  booster jab is offered which will deal with the new strains. (I have had first jab of Astra-Zeneca so far). However I am not keen on the risk of quarantining in Brazil and/or UK on return.

Tex,

Here in Amazonas we have Coronavac for health workers, AstraZeneca for everyone else.

abthree wrote:

Tex,
Here in Amazonas we have Coronavac for health workers, AstraZeneca for everyone else.

I returned to my Oregon home in late January fearing border closers. Here, we have the new Johnson and Johnson, Pfizer, and the Moderna vaccines, all provided at no cost, and all available 7-days a week, everywhere, to anyone. What I see happening here are a lot of people refusing to take any of the vaccines.  We just had a huge free drive-through vaccination clinic in my town where they expected thousands of people, but only a few hundred people in total came. All COVID PCR testing here is also available to anyone, at no cost.
All in all, interesting to say the least

Opposit here they announced a drive-thru for 75 and older. 5000 waited in a line of cars 1973 were given the vaccine and the press statement was "They underestimated the number of people 75 and over," So the next week they began signup online for times for injections.

Rraypo,

Thank you so much for explaining that, I don't think I have ever seen anyone break it down like that. I live here in Texas and looking travel back and forth to Bahia s lot in hopes of purchasing a second home-getaway after military retirement. I have seen both referenced in the news but did not really know the difference.

I am don't have any underlying conditions except some issues with arthritis, migraines, and spinal stenosis and the vector vaccine sounds more safe to me. I'm not a fan of anything altering my DNA and my son is the son who I would worry about since he has asthma. They are not offering it to kids yet and I am awaiting my call through the VA but this makes a big difference in knowing, thank you.

First, thank you for serving, My answer take the first available.
You do have underlying conditions with joint pain and headaches, but not conditions under covid with VA. Va has a great site, SIgn up, om the VA site, Active, served, or returned!
Heck I had o idea of what vaccines I was given/
Stay zafe

Thank you so much for replying back and for that insight.  I will definitely take the vaccinations once they let me know it is my turn. I really appreciate that. I hope you are enjoying yourself and staying safe as well.

I'm with Tex.  And Salvador has been very hard hit by covid.  It's a wonderful place, but you and your son want to be vaccinated to spend a lot of time there safely.  Sounds like you have a great plan:  much happiness to you!

Thank you Abthree, yes I do want to spend quite a bit of time there in the future. Especially as he is getting older now and becoming a teenager. I love the atmosphere of being there and want to do more but safely. We are even looking at going to Pernambuco because our percussion instructor in Austin, TX is from Olinda. But, I will definitely look out and make sure I continue to get fully vaccinated when it is time to return back there again. Thank you so much for your insight and I hope you and your family stay safe as well.

I had to update my Yellow Fever vaccine in order to get my work visa.

sammckibben wrote:

I had to update my Yellow Fever vaccine in order to get my work visa.

You should be good to go, then. 

I don't know how possible this is since you're currently in Côte d'Ivoire, but if you can manage to get  covid vaccinations before you come, you'll certainly be ahead.  Pernambuco, the state of which Recife is the capital, is currently one of the hardest hit, with case numbers still increasing.  This all may change by the time you get here, though.

This is great info and thanks for the information.  We both had the AZ vaccine (both) so I think we are ahead of the game at this point.   We shall see how this plays out.

Thanks Sam

"Oasis of normalcy."

Life has returned to pre-covid normalcy in Serrana, a city of 46,000 in the Sao Paulo countryside.

After most adults in three of four quadrants of Serrana were vaccinated in a test project, only one patient remained in critical condition in the city's Geraldo Cesar Reis Clinic.  Unlike most adults in Serrana, the 63-year-old woman had refused to be injected with the vaccine, the Chinese product Sinovac.

Results from the city's four-month 'Project S' were released this week.

Source... Associated Press, reprinted at www.cuencahighlife.com

Seriously! Thank you! I'm trying to figure out what I need bf I get there and this crap for all political.. sheesh

[Post under review]

[Post under review]

How special.

[Post under review]

Yes, but you are less likely to die and be hospitalized.  As a nurse I have had patients with Covid and also have seen patient dying of Covid.  Be smart and protect yourself and others.  It is not a pleasant way to die and one usually dies without a loved one being present.

10/04/21

Folks,

People seek this thread out for information on Brazil's vaccination requirements.  Please don't go off-topic to engage in debates on settled science:   save it for Facebook or Twitter.   

Thanks!  :top:

This thread concerns vaccines in Brazil.

Other matters such as moderation of Expat.com threads are off-topic.

The moderator team will address matters that are under review, probably later today or tonight.

We invite you to review the terms and conditions of use of Expat.com.

cccmedia, Expat.com experts team

Not sure what Alascana  is ranting about, but this site is AWESOME.  I am especially impressed by the well thought out, informative, and patient replies. Thanks to everyone on this online community.

Pete

Drjmagic wrote:

Not sure what Alascana  is ranting about, but this site is AWESOME.  I am especially impressed by the well thought out, informative, and patient replies. Thanks to everyone on this online community.

Pete

Thanks, Pete,

Even good guys sometimes have bad days, I guess.  ;)

Hello everyone,

Please note that a few posts have been cleaned up from this thread for it to stay on-topic.

Best,

Diksha
Expat.com team

An update as to entering Brazil:

BRASÍLIA
Supreme Court Justice Luís Roberto Barroso gave the federal government 48 hours to explain why proof of vaccination is not required for people arriving in Brazil by air.

The magistrate mentioned a request by the National Health Surveillance Agency in this regard and cited the Executive's inertia in updating the ordinance that deals with entry into the country.

Barroso's order came in the lawsuit in which the Rede Sustentabilidade party asked the court to force the Planalto to adopt the measures recommended by the regulatory agency for entry into Brazil.

We will have to wait and see!

I was vaccinated back in April 2021 (2 Pfizer shots) by now (more than 6 months after) effects of vaccines are (probably) exhausted and I'm not eligible for free booster yet.

6 months and couple COVID variants/mutations (Delta, Omicron etc.) after my proof of vaccination is just a paper with no real health benefits.

12/08/21

Californian.in.SP wrote:

I was vaccinated back in April 2021 (2 Pfizer shots) by now (more than 6 months after) effects of vaccines are (probably) exhausted and I'm not eligible for free booster yet.

6 months and couple COVID variants/mutations (Delta, Omicron etc.) after my proof of vaccination is just a paper with no real health benefits.

What makes you think that?  I haven't seen any convincing studies that support it.

My husband had the two Pfizer shots and hasn't qualified for a booster yet.  We just got back from two weeks in the US, and neither country raised a question.

abthree wrote:

12/08/21

What makes you think that?  I haven't seen any convincing studies that support it.

Fully vaccinated people were infected by Omicron variant, there were no studies. I've just saw it in the news.

This topic is as to BR requiring fully vaxed. Not a discussion as to future findings. Too soon to know,
Just wanted to advise those who want to to come to Brazil for no carnival or NYE to watch for changes!
Our moderator asked"
Is this vaccine required for entering the country now?

12/08/21

Californian.in.SP wrote:

Fully vaccinated people were infected by Omicron variant, there were no studies. I've just saw it in the news.

Before Omicron surfaced, a minority of vaccinated people were still being infected, albeit not normally needing hospitalization.  Reporting has been consistent that vaccination prevents disease in most, and makes it easier to overcome in others if infected.

Everybody's risk tolerance is different, and so is everyone's body. There's nothing wrong with being overcautious if that makes you comfortable, and it's certainly responsible behavior.   I wouldn't assume from news reports that your vaccination is now valueless, though.  :top:

BRASÍLIA
The Brazilian government will require five days of quarantine for travelers who come to the country and cannot prove that they have taken a vaccine against Covid, announced ministers Marcelo Queiroga (Health) and Ciro Nogueira (Casa Civil).

In addition to proof of immunization, it will be necessary to present the negative result of a test to detect coronaviruses performed up to 72 hours before.

It is the first comprehensive measure by Jair Bolsonaro's management of travelers since the more transmissible omicron variant was identified.

This may have come from the Supreme Court giving the Health Minister 48 hrs to provide why BR does not have this in place.
Just a guess.

Update to the update as to entering into Brasil via land.
Due to the "hack" of the SUS vaccine app, Brasil stated the borders will open on the 18th of Dec.
It is very crazy along the Puerto Iguazu, AR, and Foz do Iguacu. Long lines and delays.
I read this morning the Health Minister has fixed the issue and the SUS app should be up this week.
It appears that the RF and PF were allowing entry this weekend if foreigners had copies of their vaccination cards. (It was very crowded in Foz and safety measures were lacking)

Stay tuned for the next episode  :unsure

Thinking to invest in Brasil.
Do you nave mandatory vaccines required ?
Children to go to school Need mandatory vaccines?
Thanks for answers...

Misiddiai wrote:

Thinking to invest in Brasil.
Do you nave mandatory vaccines required ?
Children to go to school Need mandatory vaccines?
Thanks for answers...

From 11 December 2021, anyone travelling to Brazil by air or land will need to show proof of full vaccination with any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization's Emergency Use Listing (WHO). For travellers without proof of vaccination, entry will still be permitted however, they will need to quarantine for five days in the city of final destination and at the address registered in the Travellers Health Declaration. At the end of the quarantine period, a PCR or Antigen test must be taken and the traveller cannot leave quarantine until they receive a negative or undetectable result. In addition, all children under the age of 2 are exempt from the requirement to present a negative test. Children under the age of 12 who are accompanied by adult(s) who have proof of a negative test are also exempt.
All entry to Brazil is currently prohibited for all non-resident foreign nationals who have been in South Africa, Eswatini, Lesotho, Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe during the last 14 days. Brazilian and resident foreign nationals, who have been in the above countries during the last 14 days, are allowed to enter Brazil. However, they have to comply with a 14 day quarantine period. Further information is available on the website of Brazil's Consulate General.

You will need an investment visa in order to live in Brazil which needs to start at the Brazil Consulate in your country.
By that time many changes can occur.

I see no post as to a New York Times quote.
I see no science (worldwide) concluding these drugs prevent the virus
I have to take hydroxychloroquine for my past fights with malaria and other medical issues. Everyone ran out and hoarded the drug and those who require the drug had to wait until more could be produced.
My RA doctors said this drug has no proven effect on covid.

New Brazil, let's keep this forum to helping ex-pats. Read the Expat T&C and leave medical opinions to everyone's doctor.