Menu
Expat.com

Property purchase and sales - Post Brexit

Last activity 12 December 2021 by Ginger Andy

Toon

Source https://www.financialmirror.com/2021/02 … ELO9FSHNdQ
ARTICLE
Cyprus real estate bashed by Brexit

Now that Brexit is over and done with, it made me think about what British nationals can or cannot do in Cyprus when buying real estate.

As circumstances stand and without any change in the law regarding the acquisition by British nationals, they will now become part of the category of ‘foreign purchases’ as all other non-EU members.

As such, they face the following restrictions:

*Only one house can be acquired.
*No letting for income.
*Purchase of land or house limited to 4,000 sqm.
*No acquisition of offices, etc, other than through an offshore company (which has its restrictions regarding the location of offices, the number of locally employed staff etc).
*The transfer of property will require Cabinet approval, which might take 2-4 months and the applicants required to provide detailed information.
*No share acquisition in real estate companies or funds.
*Acquisition of land outside development areas, e.g., agricultural, is restricted, and land acquisition in development areas must have had a home erected within three years from the purchase.
*All money used for the acquisition must come from abroad.
*Unmarried couples (even if they have children or grandchildren together) cannot have joint ownership of real estate.
*Work permits will be required if work is necessary.
*There is also the issue of the cost of a visa when visiting Cyprus, as well as the exclusion from the Cyprus national health scheme GHS.

The situation is not clear as I have urged the Cyprus government to provide some type of an exception or relaxation for our British friends living permanently in Cyprus to minimise their restrictions.

Using Commonwealth status is one way to overcome the matter, but then Commonwealth covers a lot of other nationalities as well (including Pakistan, India, South Africa) and we have the E.U. opinion to consider.

I suspect a similar problem exists with other destinations popular for the British, including Spain, Portugal, Malta, Italy, and Greece, so perhaps a joint EU proposal could help.

The situation has worried local and expat residents, but a fair warning was given to them to utilise the grace period provided, including support from various British organisations, but I understand that a good percentage did not do anything.

As a result of these restrictions and uncertainties, some British homeowners are placing their property on the market for sale, especially in the Paphos region.

With approximately 40,000 Britons living in Cyprus on long or short-term stays, to have reached this juncture feels like we are losing a long-time friend.

In the end, Cyprus stands to lose in terms of ‘permanent tourism’, whereas the long-standing individual and personal friendships will also take a hit.

An old client asked me if we will meet again, which is the sort of confusion that will be created at least for the next six months or so.

So, where do we go from here?

Under the permanent residency visa rules (as it exists today) property buyers will require a home with a value of at least €300,000 + VAT unless the existing one already cover this.

This will create difficulty for the newcomers who will have to come up with such an amount above their holiday home requirements.

Besides, newcomers will need to prove an income of at least €30,000 p.a. + €5,000 p.a. for dependents, and they need to visit Cyprus at least twice a year.

These kinds of restrictions do not necessarily exist in other countries and will place Cyprus at a disadvantage.

Then again, with the mess, we found ourselves in with the citizenship-for-investments programme (golden passports) is this the right time to consider any relaxations?

One local developer operating in Paralimni, worried about losing his buyers, asked me what he needed to do.

I directed him to various websites that deal with such matters but asked, “where were you when this situation was coming up 6 months ago?”

It makes me wonder how property developers selling to Britons have not yet come up with suggestions to put pressure on the Cyprus government (currently at its lowest level of credibility regarding real estate) to safeguard their clients who are seeking greener pastures.
END OF ARTICLE

Looks to me like there is lots to be addressed and it will take time to do so.... so problems need to be expected and planned for in these uncertain times
Good luck to all

shotokan101

Thanks Toon - must admit that I am shocked and dismayed by that as I was completely unaware of some of those constraints - especially the new income requirements sad.png

Toon

It may change .. hopefully Cyprus government bodies will see sense. I suspect the €30k quoted here comes from the old non EU conditions and has been transposed in this article as I recall that figure having to be deposited in a cyprus bank as a condition for some australian friends

Stevie T

Many thanks Toon, this is dfinately food for thought, however as it stands I will still press on with my search for a suitable holiday home. Any ideas on why the paphos area seems more affected?

Toon

Probably because it’s more working and retiree expat, tourism and holiday  home orientated than the other areas and I hear some are returning for all sorts of reasons  to UK

Richardjcf

A quick question as I am a bit confused. If I was to retire to Cyprus under category F visa I can purchase a property of any value? Also, is it advisable to apply for the Cat F visa from outside of Cyprus or move there and apply from inside. It is a big step to take moving there and then being rejected for a visa.
Thanks in advance

Toon

Its no biggy to move here and apply for your residency  (most people do that) as you would be allowed to stay here 90 days without any formal visa and this gives you the time to apply for your residency which is currently required to be applied for within 90 days if it is your intention to stay here for longer than that....

To apply for residency without being here is possible but you would need to appoint a person to do that on your behalf as the application (without your presence) needs to be made with certified copies of your passport marriage and birth certificates, plus evidence of income savings healthcare coverage etc  sufficient to ensure you will not be a burden on the republic...

Richardjcf

Hi Toon,

Many thanks for this. It would seem to be straight forward getting a Cat F visa. I am just a bit worried about making the move and failing to get the visa.
I will review the various websites to find a suitable lawyer who can assist, assuming this is required.

Thanks once again for your advice

Toon

you dont have to use a lawyer (unless there are immigration issues) there are tried tested and trusted people here who can do it for a fee (usually between €150-200 per person)....   Ive indicated in other posts who can be contacted to help should you feel the need to try and and do it before arriving here...  I honestly dont think its an issue to get here and do it it as in my experiences and knowledge it is very rare to be refused....

Bamboozler

Hi Toon

Thanks very much for sharing this information.  I was wondering if there had been any changes to these rules since they came into force, or do you think there might be changes in the future?

I am a Brit, currently living in Hong Kong, but am looking into moving to Cyprus.  Things like being limited to only 4000 sqm of land etc is a bit of a a deal breaker for me.  The whole idea of moving away from somewhere like Hong Kong is to be able to afford more land / space, but this is now capped with these new rules sadly.

Thanks again.

B

Toon

I think and its my opinion  its likely to remain for non EU nationals.. unless of course you have lots and lots of money.....   since brexit has complicated many things  including residency applications and work harder to obtain...

Financial requirements have become harder and at higher levels  - healthcare  cover is essential and to  be able to work you need to be a required skill without local (primary consideration) or EU applicants (secondary consideration) being available added to the potential employer being willing to get your work permit..

as for  home/land purchases I suspect the limits will stay but never say never there is always a possibility of a change .... unless you have someone in the know willing to support your application

Ginger Andy
Toon wrote:

Its no biggy to move here and apply for your residency  (most people do that) as you would be allowed to stay here 90 days without any formal visa and this gives you the time to apply for your residency which is currently required to be applied for within 90 days if it is your intention to stay here for longer than that.......

I understand that a Cat F application takes 8-12 months. If my wife and I were to apply within the 90 days, does the clock stop, so to speak, until the application process is complete?

Toon

Why do you say it takes 8-12 months

Toon

I know things have changed but a cat F application is quite straightforward as long as all  your documentation is in order ...

The only delay that I can think of is the delay caused by those who may have applied for their WA protected  residency at the last minute causing a backlog....

But assuming there is such a delay then once your application is in you should get a receipt for it and you should be ok

Ginger Andy

Apologies for the delay in replying; a busy family weekend.

I read somewhere (I think it was on this forum) that a 6(2) typically takes 2-4 months and a Category F typically takes 8-12 months. If that's not correct, I'm delighted.

We can fulfil the criteria for either, but for a variety of reasons we don't really want to buy a brand new home, which is why we'd like to opt for a Cat F. My nervousness is simply based on the nightmare scenario of selling up here, buying there and then having our applications refused. I have no reason whatsoever to think that they would be refused (always worked; never been in trouble with the law; Mr & Mrs Average, really) but it's still a consideration. If I was in my 40s, no problem, but in my 60s I can do without the drama.

Many thanks for your reassuring response.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Cyprus

• Buying property in Cyprus
    Buying property in Cyprus

Are you thinking of investing in property in Cyprus? You are definitely not alone. The interest for real estate in ...

• Accommodation in Cyprus
    Accommodation in Cyprus

With a population of 1.19 million, Cyprus is the third most densely populated island in the Mediterranean. ...

• Accommodation in Nicosia
    Accommodation in Nicosia

With a population of 200,452 people, the capital city of Nicosia is the most densely populated in Cyprus. Dubbed ...

• Raising children in Cyprus
    Raising children in Cyprus

As Cyprus is one of the safest countries in the world, you shouldn't have any worries about raising your kids ...

• Driving in Cyprus
    Driving in Cyprus

As Cyprus is a small island, the best way to get around is by car. But is your drivers license valid in the ...

• Northern Cyprus holidays
    Northern Cyprus holidays

North Cyprus is one of the last unspoilt, most beautiful and popular island holiday destinations in the ...

• General visa requirements for Cyprus
    General visa requirements for Cyprus

If you are planning on a short-term stay in Cyprus, you should know beforehand whether or not you will need a ...

• Permanent residency and citizenship in Cyprus
    Permanent residency and citizenship in Cyprus

The complexity of staying long-term in Cyprus (for more than 90 days) varies greatly depending on your ...

All of Cyprus's guide articles