Residencia, import. Taxes and shipping

@L Alan Williams Hi, Alan! This is Mrs. RockyM. You have to start the residency process from the US. The Consulate in New Orleans will be the closest one to you, but their website stinks! Here's a link to the Consulate in Washington with the info you need to apply for a Residency Visa: DR Consulate on Washington.

Once you get your residency Visa, you have 60 days to enter the DR and submit your full application for residency. More information on that can be found on the website for Migración.

Having an attorney is very beneficial! We used Lishali Baez. She is excellent! You can reach her at 809-860-1231 or lbaez@lishalibaez.com.

Once you have your residency, then you can arrange for shipment of your household items and get the tax waiver from Aduanas. To get that exemption, you must ship the container in within 6 months of gaining residency.

@L Alan Williams let's talk on Whatsapp. Please send PM with your number and we can go over the details

Welcome too the forums. Your first step is to read the pinned post about

residency.  Once you get a handle on that come back with any questions you have!  Many of us have recommended a great residency lawyer in that and other threads, Lishali Baez (Lily)

I have written and posted 3 times and it disappears grrr

@LT American I am thinking about importing a car after my condo is complete in Cap Cana and what I'm wondering is if I buy an American car in the United States and have it shipped and not registered in the United States to pay sales tax on it because it's not going to be used in the United States Would that make it more difficult to import into the Dominican republic ?

It must be owned a year before you can import it.

@planner I can do that ! Thanks

Planner is referring to the residency importation...... doing it normally has no restriction that I know of

Higher taxes = Yes

When shipping containers and such here, I think it's a good idea to start at this end.

You'll need help at the dock and with customs.

A freight forwarder should be able to arrange your pick-up in the US   .....  and it will arrive here to them and you.

Hispaniola Freight is one suggestion..... there will be several

I used Hispaniola for my arrival..... good English

@LT American

Hi,  thank you for the reply...  I'm looking for (I guess)  a freight forwarder from Houston to Punta Cana  ( Closest Port) for a Rental of a 20 ft container, it will contain all household items for a 3-room Condominium Furniture, refrigerator etc.. 

I found only one company so far to quote me and there still working on it !!  Kindly feel free to make recommendations

When shipping containers and such here, I think it's a good idea to start at this end.
You'll need help at the dock and with customs.
A freight forwarder should be able to arrange your pick-up in the US  ..... and it will arrive here to them and you.

Hispaniola Freight is one suggestion..... there will be several
I used Hispaniola for my arrival..... good English
-@WillieWeb

By this I meant .... get a freight forwarder here in RD

They know the ropes

@RockyM

Hi, could you please share your agent's information wirh me.

Thank you for your help.

@RockyM We all benefit from such good pointers you mentioned. Do you know off hand the limit of TV sets Aduana will allow before any taxing penalty or extra fees are added? Can you also provide me the shipping agent name and contact information you used and recommend to use in the DR? I appreciate all your help.

@carolmarchena Hello, I came across your post in this forum and I thought maybe I can also benefit from the useful replies you may have received because my situation is almost the same as yours was as your original questions were posted a few years ago.

can you tell me what the rep[lies to your questions were? I can definetely use them myself as I'm also planning on moving to the DR. Please add any info you think could also be useful.  Private message me. Thanks.