Enter Ukraine on Emergency Travel Documents

Is it possible to enter Ukraine with UK Emergency Travel Documents?

I have a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation... I tried to renew my temporary residency permit, however I have been unable to due to my expiring passport. Due to the current Covid-19 situation, the UK passport offices are closed. Therefore I had planned to renew my permit and then renew my passport. But, this isn't possible.

So, I have applied for a new passport from the UK embassy in Kiev. But, my new passport will not be ready for another 3 weeks. My residency permit expires in 1 week. I have been told that I need to leave and re-enter the country in order to start my 90 days as a tourist here. That should give me enough time to receive my new passport and apply for a new residency permit.

Therefore, I have a plan. But, it only works if I can enter Ukraine with Emergency Travel Documents. I talked with the UK Passport Office and Embassy, but they don't know. They advised that I talk with Ukrainian Officials. I have tried contacting the State Migration Service of Ukraine on +38 044 279-98-99 but there is no answer on that phone number. I found this site, which suggests that I can enter the country: https://www.visaukraine.com/travel-documents-ukraine/

Does anyone have any experience or advice who I can contact here?

If your Emergency Travel Document has Ukraine listed in it then yes. But I would get in contact with the Embassy to make sure.

Simon,
Sorry I don't have good info to add, but curious.  Normally, an applicant can receive a permanent residency permit, if the person is married with an Ukraine citizen, within a year.   But sounds like you have not received it yet.  Therefore, you have to extend the temporary residency permit.  Any reason you have not gotten a permanent residency permit within a year?

SimCityAT wrote:

If your Emergency Travel Document has Ukraine listed in it then yes. But I would get in contact with the Embassy to make sure.

Thanks! I actually started the application process and it also states that it is valid to exit and enter Ukraine.

Gregorypak wrote:

Simon,
Sorry I don't have good info to add, but curious.  Normally, an applicant can receive a permanent residency permit, if the person is married with an Ukraine citizen, within a year.   But sounds like you have not received it yet.  Therefore, you have to extend the temporary residency permit.  Any reason you have not gotten a permanent residency permit within a year?

I was advised by the local office that I could only apply for a permanent residency permit after 2 years of marriage. We have just been married for 2 years, so I am only just eligible to apply. When I went to apply to extend my temporary residency permit, they actually said that I should apply for both. I also read online that you must be married for 2 years before applying for the permanent residency permit...

I got same problems but not in Ukraine , it is in Vietnam . The first thing I think you need talking with Uk passport officer and gave a legal advice . For my case , I waited for until my new passport came and extend my visa . It got few weeks late , but you let them know this is exceptional situation because pandemic. They will accept it. I hope this can help “ Although there are no penalties for British citizens overstaying under the visa-free regime during quarantine (providing they leave within 30 days of quarantine ending), anyone who has overstayed will not be able to return to Ukraine for 90 days after leaving the country.

If you're planning to stay in Ukraine for longer than 90 days in a 180 day period, you need to get a visa. For more advice on entry requirements contact the Ukrainian Embassy in London or Consulate General in Edinburgh”