Menu
Expat.com

What struck you about Spain?

Last activity 29 April 2021 by Rextravis

Cheryl

Hello everybody,

When you first settled in Spain, you might have been struck by cultural aspects of life in Spain and you might even have anecdotes about your integration here.
We would like you to share with expats-to-be what you discovered once you arrived in Spain: customs, traditions, interesting or fun facts etc.

What were the things that surprised you the most after your arrival?

Are there any practices that are particularly out of step with your culture of origin? If so, what are they?

What do you think about them?

Did you get used to these and adopt some of these traditions or norms?

Do you think you would take some of the customs of Spain with you if you were to return to your home country or move to another country?

Thank you!

Cheryl,
Expat.com team

Cynthiarey

As soon as I arrived I was overcome with the warm pungent air.   Fast paced streets of Madrid were full of people who slowed down to drink beer and savour tapas and they seemed content and at home in their city.  Since then I have travelled north and south and appreciate the regional nuances, food and wine, the festivals everywhere with deep historical and cultural meaning.  It is a pleasant place to live and it helps to cultivate a sense of humour on par with the locals.

adrienneb

The horrific fact that they were hanging galgos where I lived which was just outside Seville, sadly is this a horrific little spoken about custom, please google and you will see what I say is true, it is the reason I left

gracemonard

Congrats you left and wouldn’t want to withness this barbaric situation going on since ever !!!!! How can this be allowed in à European Union country ???? I adopted two of those lovely animals that were saved from crual treatments and being abandoned ....

adrienneb

Yes I was lucky to have left, but I left in fear of my life, and having to sell up for half the price I bought for, but yes at least I managed to get out, my life was in danger. I also have two rescues from Spain, if you are able try Portugal, much kinder all round. I am so sorry you are still there, I know its not easy

Rextravis

I came to Spain for the first time in 2014 to buy a boat to use as a rental business on Airbnb.  But when I accidentally stumbled into a real estate agency after seeing some ridiculously low prices for homes and apartments I went in and informed myself about the situation...the apartment I was looking at lost 55% of its value in one year due to the recession which hit Spain very hard.  The next day i made an offer which was accepted and it is the best investment I ever made (220% increase in value since the purchase...). I made a point to check on distances in the town, to the markets, train station, beach, etc....it all made sense, without even mentioning the panoramic sea view from the terrace!  (Included in the price...lol)
From there, we slowly met people who were really kind, they because friends and it has been a real joy to spend our summers there since I work abroad.  Our new friends showed us the festivals, the beach parties and cultural parades, etc.
The one thing we had “trouble” with was going out to a festival beginning at 22h00!  We are usually in bed by then, my son was only 9 at the time, pre-COVID.  Or they would say: meet us at the church at 23h00 for a movie being shown on the beach, everyone laying on towels , etc...again, too late for us!!!
We are moving to our home in Spain full time in July and we can’t wait to actually live in Spain full-time! (Hoping Covid situation improves)
Contact me at any time if you need any information on moving to Spain, buying an apartment, etc....I’d be glad to help as many people helped me along the way!!!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Spain

• Working in Tenerife
    Working in Tenerife

Are you looking for a job in Tenerife? While there are certainly opportunities, especially for fluent Spanish ...

• Internet in Spain
    Internet in Spain

Whether for work or play or keeping in touch with friends and relatives abroad, getting online will most likely be ...

• Working in the Canary Islands
    Working in the Canary Islands

The Canary Islands is Spain's southernmost autonomous community, an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, more ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Seville
    Popular neighbourhoods in Seville

Once you have decided to make the beautiful city of Seville your home, the next order of business is finding a ...

• Accommodation in Madrid
    Accommodation in Madrid

Madrid, the bustling capital of Spain, is a popular destination for thousands of expatriates each year. With its ...

• Working in Valencia
    Working in Valencia

Valencia is the capital of the autonomous community of Valencia, an attractive port city with beautiful beaches, a ...

• Customs in Spain
    Customs in Spain

Before traveling to Spain for your new life abroad, you will need to be aware of the country's ...

• Developing your social circle in Seville
    Developing your social circle in Seville

For many people, building a new circle of friends is one of the most daunting aspects of being an expat. Missing ...

All of Spain's guide articles