Places to look at to stay in Bucharest

Hello all,

I am Chris and I will be in Bucharest the first part of April for 3 months and maybe very much longer.  If someone can recommend places to look at to stay just let me know.

Thanks

Chris

Chris, you can use pretty much any region of Bucharest if you don't have a car but stick around the areas where there is a metro/ bus/ tram station! Downtown it's more expensive but much safer than Ferentari, for instance. It all depends on your budget.

Look for rental websites like www.Imobiliare.ro, www.anuntul.ro, www.anunturiimobiliare.ro and such. A one room apartment (garsoniera) is not the same as in western standards but the living room space is one and the same with the kitchen.

My recommendation is to see a floor plan, and search for modern apartments that have a kitchen/ bar/ bedroom in one but the space is much better arranged, and separate than the bathroom/ shower.
Stay away from older buildings, and don't pay online! You need to see the flat first, and insist on drafting a contract at a Notary Public which is actually an educated attorney with a special license much stronger than that in western countries.

I recommend Simona Motatu, my life-long friend who owns her licensed and insured business at Str. Stirbei Voda nr.154, bl.26A, sc.1, et.1, ap.1 Sector 1 Telefon: 0213126969 Fax: 0213126969. Someone in the office speaks English (esp Daniel).

She also has provided me with authorized interpreter for past transactions. The law also protects you though it costs a bit more, to hire an interpreter certified by the Dept of Justice in Romania; (s)he will work for you so you understand what you sign. Take your time to have documents properly translated; depending on your timeline, it can take a rush process of min 3 days.

Paying the tax fee (taxa de timbru) - fiscal stamp tax - to the government, is one solid proof of renting the place in case any surprises come down the road, and it's affordable.

I'm not trying to scare you but I hear of all kind of rental tactics. Meanwhile, you can live in daily rentals that are quite friendly on www.AirBnB.com

I hope it helps. Send a private message if you have any questions or need help.

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that i have created a new thread with your post in the Bucharest forum to help you to communicate more efficiently with other members.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team