Vietnamese Tones and audio learning

I am a long time lurker on this forum and I am making some resources to learn and listen to the Vietnamese tones. These are very difficult for the English-ear, so, I made a blog with audio recordings.

If you want to see/listen as well, please reply asking so.  I don't want to spam this awesome forum with promotional material, so if anyone wants the url, please ask. It isn't a money-maker or anything, just a passion project.

I plan on making some audio-flash cards as well, to test my hearing, but I need to learn php first :)

Yes thankyou

Thanks Wayne.

Here is a table of audio recordings showcasing the 6 Vietnamese tones. The hoi tone is incredible difficult for me.

Also, how to pronounce all the Vietnamese vowels, consonants and digraphs.

I hope everyone finds it useful. I hope to add more pro-learning material soon.

This is very cool, being able to visualize or rather compare the sound to something familiar is very good.

Thanks a lot!

cocobipbip wrote:

Thanks Wayne.

Here is a table of audio recordings showcasing the 6 Vietnamese tones. The hoi tone is incredible difficult for me.

Also, how to pronounce all the Vietnamese vowels, consonants and digraphs.

I hope everyone finds it useful. I hope to add more pro-learning material soon.

Excellent!

When I first got to Hanoi in 2018 I hired a private teacher to help me.

We didn't really click but the first thing she did was prepare a couple of crib sheets for me with all of the information you've got there.

I refer back to the crib sheets whenever I remember but of course, they don't have the audio attached to them.

This is a great tool.

Thanks for sharing

Thank you so much!

Yes, very helpful

Many thanks for sharing

Thanks everyone for the encouragment! It means a lot. I will continue to add to the website often.

FYI, the main thrust of the website is the "One Word A Day" blog where I present a word everyday, upload audio for its pronunciation, and talk about some funny/culturally-relevant insights.

For example, did you know that Quần means: underwear, pants, overalls and shorts? Vietnamese is loaded with these kinds of linguistic overloading of terms.

Anyone who wants to contribute is welcome.

cocobipbip wrote:

For example, did you know that Quần means: underwear, pants, overalls and shorts? Vietnamese is loaded with these kinds of linguistic overloading of terms.

Actually,  "quần" doesn't mean underwear, pants, overalls, and shorts as you said. 

The word "quần" is a generic noun to call the bottom part of an outfit.  To indicate a specific "bottom", you'll need a modified noun to follow the generic noun. 

- pants: quần, or to be specific, quần dài (dài is long; quần dài are long pants)

- overalls: quần yếm (yếm is bib; quần yếm are pants with attached bib) 

- shorts:  quần đùi (đùi is thigh; quần đùi are the bottom items that end at your thighs, but that term is only used for the kind of shorts one wears at home or in bed.  In Vietnam, the kind of shorts one wears outdoors is "quần short" or "quần sọt."  Vietnamese language is full of French terms, thus the word "short" (no s) is French, not English.

- Underwear is not "quần" in Vietnamese.  Instead, it's "đồ lót" or "quần áo lót."  Đồ lót is the generic term for undergarments (both top and bottom).  Again, to be specific, you'll need a modified noun: "quần lót" or "quần xi-líp" (from the French word "slip").

Saying "Vietnamese is "loaded with linguistic overloading of terms" is taking a rather simplistic view.  With more research, you'll find that modifiers are the most important part in Vietnamese, and being familiar with the modifiers is the only way to become proficient in this difficult-to-master language.

Hi and thanks for your reply. This is great to discuss!

Quần-as-pants is the prototype of the category of pants-like-clothing, of which "underwear" belongs. It is not correct to say "underwear is not quần". 

Underwear is a type of quần in the same way that a kumquat tree is a tree: you can refer to the kumquat tree as simply "tree" if the context allows.

Likewise, it is more specific to say "quần áo lót" for underwear, but that is not necessarily more "correct", just more specific. In this way, the "áo lót" it is more of a clarifier, not a modifier.

Whats with all the Indians looking for jobs on here.

cocobipbip wrote:

Hi and thanks for your reply. This is great to discuss!

Quần-as-pants is the prototype of the category of pants-like-clothing, of which "underwear" belongs. It is not correct to say "underwear is not quần". 

Underwear is a type of quần in the same way that a kumquat tree is a tree: you can refer to the kumquat tree as simply "tree" if the context allows.

Likewise, it is more specific to say "quần áo lót" for underwear, but that is not necessarily more "correct", just more specific. In this way, the "áo lót" it is more of a clarifier, not a modifier.

Nearly all shops here in the south use Đồ lót on their signage.

colinoscapee wrote:

Nearly all shops here in the south use Đồ lót on their signage.

Yep. It's đồ lót in the Central and the South, and quần áo lót in the North. In no part of the country where quần means underwear.

colinoscapee wrote:

Whats with all the Indians looking for jobs on here.

That poster has been bombarding my inbox with demands (not requests) for my “cooperation” in helping him move to VN and find him a job. Since blocking him, I can't see his post so I guess he resorts to putting the demand on the forum.

He's gone now.

Hello Vietnam. Well, after last 5 years in US, we are wanting to move back to VN.
BAD timing though.
Looking toward 2022 hopefully before Tet. Depends on government in VN. allowing us.
Who wooda thunk
Sincerely
Mac
ADDP

Mac68 wrote:

Hello Vietnam. Well, after last 5 years in US, we are wanting to move back to VN.
BAD timing though.
Looking toward 2022 hopefully before Tet. Depends on government in VN. allowing us.
Who wooda thunk
Sincerely
Mac
ADDP

Unfortunately borders continue to be closed to people who cannot locate the right thread for their post.

New rule issued by some guy in Hawaii...