Nicaraguan customs tax

Hello,

Can you tell me, please, the amount of Nicaraguan customs tax on
- books ?
- a laptop ?

In this document,
https://www.dga.gob.ni/sac/SAC_2020.pdf
I did not find anything by writing "computadora portatil" and I don't understand the amount of tax to pay when I write "libros".

Thank you.

Regards
Patrick

If you are traveling with the items you shouldn't be bothered if you lan to move to Nicaragua then up to (I think) $20000 is tax free one time only

Thank you Pancho 2.

I am looking for the amount of these taxes to find out the cost of living in Nicaragua if I am a resident of Nicaragua, have already moved and if i am buying a computer or books outside Nicaragua ( because they are unavailable or too expensive in Nicaragua ) via the internet or by taking a bus or a car or a plane.

Here is the only answer I found :
- Origin: United States of America
- Destination: Nicaragua
- Laptop
- Price: 1,500 USD
- Customs tax and duties = 225 USD or 15%.

Source

https://www.easyship.com/en-fr/duties-a … tor/canada

This answer is wrong.

The actual amount of Nicaraguan tax on a new laptop is over 30 %.

I can prove it but I can not reveal this proof on this forum.

Patrick,

Why not use a shipping service like Bahia Nica. They can ship by AIR or Boat from Miami to Managua. It is based on weight and is very reasonable. I used them several times to deliver to me in SJDS.

Patrick,

Why not use a shipping service like Bahia Nica. They can ship by AIR or Boat from Miami to Managua. It is based on weight and is very reasonable. I used them several times to deliver to me in SJDS.

They can ship high end electronics, computers and powerful binoculars with no problems with Aduana.

Hello

How much are Nicaraguan taxes and duties on a computer ?

If you don't know this information, what is the average Nicaraguan tax and duty rate in 2022, in practice ?

Thank you for your help as I was unable to find this information on the Nicaraguan customs website and found conflicting information on this subject.

Thank you.

Etienne
Etienne,

Are you bringing a personal laptop to Nicaragua via plane or border crossing?

Glenn
Hello Glenn

Thank you for your answer.

I would like to know, please, the Nicaraguan tax and duty rate if I bring a laptop by plane or if I receive it from abroad through a parcel shipping company.

Thank you.

According to my sources ( i don't know if they are reliable ), it is about 30 % of the value of the product, including shipping and insurance :
a) Duty rate : 15 %
b) Sales tax : 15 %.

Etienne

I found these informations.

For a computer at 2,500 Euros, shipping costs of 200 Euros, and insurance of 30 Euros, the amount of tax and customs duties ( CIF ) in Nicaragua will be
- 410 Euros according to this calculator.
- 370 Euros according to this calculator
- 15 % of 2,500 Euros or 375 Euros according to this website.

The first website is "Simply Duty".

Hello

In all emerging countries, not all the products you need are currently available.

That is why I ask myself the following question : What is, in practice ( not in theory ), the average amount of taxes and customs duties in Nicaragua, in 2022, on electronics, on books, on food, on medicines, on machines ?

Thank you.

Best regards

Etienne

I specify my question below.

Can you please tell me the average rate ( 25 % ? 50 % ? 75 % ? 100 % ? 125 % ? 150 % ? 175 % ? 200 % ? ) of tax and duty you paid in Nicaragua ( and not the theoretical average rate of Nicaraguan tax and duty ), on the majority of the products you imported into Nicaragua less than 5 years ago ?

Thank you.

Etienne

You can bring in 2 laptops, 2 phones and other various electronics in your suitcase and they won't be taxed. It's the larger amounts that will get the attention of the customs agents that you are trying to resell these items.
Thank you for this information Supeman.

Do you know the answer to my question in case we want to import at least ten products ( to amortize the transport or shipping and insurance costs )  ?

Etienne
I don't know the official amount of taxation for imported goods. But looking at food products imported from the US is amount 30%. I am quite sure the associated cost on other items would be similar.
Thank you Supeman.

I agree with you : the Nicaraguan tax and duty is, on average, 30 % according to my sources. The supermarkets that sell products in Nicaragua that they import from the US have the means (thanks to customs agents and lawyers) to enforce Nicaraguan law. So the price difference you see is 30 %. I don't know if an individual can get Nicaraguan law enforced every time they import a few products into Nicaragua ( no less, no more ) by paying a customs broker and how much this service will cost them. I asked myself this question because
- Nicaragua's taxes and customs duties are neither low nor high compared to most other countries ;
- on the internet, many expatriates have said or written that they left Nicaragua because
a) they could not find many of the products they needed in Nicaragua ;
b) Nicaraguan customs applied a tax and duty much higher than 30% to the products they imported into Nicaragua.

In Paraguay, the official tax and duty is, on average, 30 % of the value of the imported goods. In practice, for individuals, it is often 100 %.