Fruit bats

Im very fascinated by the Mauritius fruit bat.  Where on the island is the biggest chance to see them in nature? I understand you can also find them in animal parks.
Thx
Marcus

Just curious.  Are there any swedish expats in Mauritius here on this forum?

Hi Mac.
I was on the island last Jan/Feb on holiday.
There were fruit bats every where.
At night flying arround the streets.
They are very active at dusk. And after a rain storm.
The question about location is like saying where can I see black birds.. they are everywhere.

Thx.  I didnt see any neither in 2019 or 2012, but on the other hand i didnt know they existed,  so id have probably mistaken them for big birds if i had seen one.  Then ill just keep my eyes open when i go to Mauritius in two years.  I thought they were endangered & therefore rare,  but i must have been wrong.

There is a big roost in Daruty Forest in the North near Petit Raffray. In the evening they fly out by the thousands. If you have any fruit trees in your garden you will see plenty coming to eat your fruit.

Hi,
You will find lots of fruit bats in the south-west of Mauritius in the Black River Gorges. It's a beautiful place to go hiking. The bats fly high up in the air and their dark silhouette against the sky resembles that of dinosaur birds. With the dark forest underneath, the scenery sometimes takes on looks of prehistoric rainforest. Fascinating and lovely!
Cheers
Emmanuel

If you want to see all the types of bats in Mauritius, you have to go to Anse Jonchee, which is located in the South East of the island. From there, you will need to catch a boat and head to Ile Aux Aigrettes, which is an islet located at 800 meters from the mainland. It is a conservation island which have nearly all the existing species of bats along with other mammals and reptiles. As an educator, I take my students there so it is free for us. Maybe you will have to pay a small fee as a foreigner.

Hi, every morning and evening in the National Parc, on the Plateau and Petrin. Cheers Roman

You can see bats flying freely at Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Garden as well. I think it forms part of the guided tour of the garden. The guide showed some spots/trees where you could see colonies flying in the afternoon in search for food.

And about swedish expats, yes, definitely! A quick search on the Mauritius expat network will get you some results.

Have a nice day,
A

Thankyou for helpful information

Having been to the North of the island (Triolet) over the past two years in September, i have seen fruit bats flying and landing in coconut palms in the early evenings as the coconut is still soft (young) and are part of the fruitbats diet.. then between 8.30am and 9am in the morning they fly back in groups further north.. its amazing to see! :)

plenty around Pereybere and Grand Bay area as well.

You also see them every evening around Pereybere and Grand Bay.