Residence permit needed for buying car?

@concertina

You are of course right - Agnieszka could go to the KEP and ask. But I should be very surprised if the KEP would actually do more than advise on what needs to be done. For example, do you really see the KEP getting hold of the registration plates for collection by Agnieszka? Or paying the registration fees and the 2022 circulation tax on her behalf, to be reimbursed by her after the event?

You are also right that getting someone to do that boring task - and similar ones - costs money and that not everyone can afford the fees (I paid mine €300). But, you know, from all external evidence on consumption, Greece is awash with money again. Predictions, 10 years ago,  that the country's citizens would be permanently impoverished thanks to the incompetent govt/ Goldman Sachs/wicked foreign bankers/the Germans/ the Troika/ etc, etc have proved unfounded and the vast majority of the population is again spending as if there's no tomorrow. 

Of course I don't know if Agnieszka can afford an agent. By the way, she hasn't yet reacted to any of the several responses to her original post.....
@Squealer Thanks for your replies and aplogies for the late respopnse. I did try a few years ago to get a dealer to register a car but that's not possible as I'm not an EU national.

On my next visit later this year I will try again as we can finally travel to Greece

What about the transit plates with a validity for a month to buy a used car in Greece and bring it back to your EU country???

Is there finally some info? Is a registration (resident permit for EU citizens) needed to register a car?

I don´t get it....

Hello @concertina, I came across this thread trying to find out as a foreign tax resident (EU citizen) whether I can buy a car in Greece. I will only spend a few months in Greece, so I will not register as a tax resident, is the registration mentioned in the discussions something different?

@Zoe64 Hi,you will need a tax number to buy a car which thus means you must submit tax returns each year with an accountant,its all become much easier to do these days and the accountants charge is very small.EU citizens dont need a residents permit just a registration card if staying longer than three months.I can give you names etc.. of a friend who is an insurance broker we use and he can help you with a car,an honest person,we have a good insurance deal,pm me if so.

@concertina Hello Concertina, we are from the Netherlands and we have a house on Samos. We want to buy a used car but we get confused in the jungle 😉. We get so many different advice of what is needed.

Some people tell us we need to go to police station to get a Residence permit. Some say you get it straight away and some say it will take 3 weeks… 😱 Our accountant in Greece told us we can go with the seller to KEP and our taxnumber and passport is enough to put the car in our name. He said it used to be a difficult process but that it's easier now.

Is that what you also mean?

thanks for your reaction.

Kin regards, Henny

@hwellinghoff Hello,if you are planning to live here for more than three months at a time then you need to register yourselves at a police station,one that deals with immigration people,EU or not,you will register yourselves showing all documentation required(see that on line)they give you a card to keep,maybe you will wait a short time and come back for it as they do it digitally with photograph I think and its REGISTRATION not RESIDENCE PERMIT,you are already a resident of the EU and Greece is a part of the EU.You need your tax number to buy the car,you will have this as you have a house here.registration is a good idea anyway so that the country and the police of Greece have some idea of your wherabouts,address etc.. should you vanish mysteriously(these things happen sadly)its not so they can spy on you.The KEP office will inform you of everything you need to do and look on line,I guess you know about cars so as to buy carefully and not be ripped off,will you buy in athens?if so if you need help my husband is very knowing of these things,ex lorry mechanic,private message me if you need more help,you declare  a car on your tax return each year.I hope all goes very well for you and you enjoy life to the full.

@Ingrid Athanassiu if I want to buy and use a car in Greece but will not be spending more than 3 months at a time here, will my EU citizenship be enough? I would be going between here and UK multiple times during the year & would keep the car in greece

@concertina You seem very knowledgeable about this so I thought I would ask a similar question. I'm an EU citizen, have a property in Greece but for the time being will split my time between UK and Greece - not spending more than 90 days each visit. Question: can I buy, register & keep my car in Greece just using my EU passport? My head is spinning lol

@laurakerryns You have your tax number as you have property here,every two years you will be notified on your phone of an appointment to take your car to be inspected for emissions and you need the mot every two years,maybe the emissions is every year,Im not sure,you perhaps could contact them yourself when you are here to do these things.Your accountant will add your car details on your yearly tax return.A friend of mine has a car here when she stays all summer,she had three once,but members will advice you on here I think.Make sure you driving license is what is required,its the UK one that needs changing I think but the KEP office will tell you everything and a high standard car dealership.

@Matthijs49 Hello, So far I know  yes you have to issue a European Citizen Card. I bought a car in 2021 and it is must. I am an EU citizen.

@Matthijs49 maybe a stupid question, but you can drive with your car outside of Greece too, right? Provided you have the necessary insurance?

Hi Zoe64, yes you can drive the car anywhere, as long as you have the right insurances.

@concertina

Hello. I am a french citizen living in Turkey and simply want to go and buy a car in Greece and then drive it down to Turkey (the driving to Turkey part is not important)... but its just to show that i wont be living in Greece. In this situation do i need anything other than my passport?

Thanks very mucj for any help

@Matthijs49

@concertina

Hello. I am a french citizen living in Turkey and simply want to go and buy a car in Greece and then drive it down to Turkey (the driving to Turkey part is not important)... but its just to show that i wont be living in Greece. In this situation do i need anything other than my passport?

Thanks very much for any help

@concertina

@concertina

Thanks very much for any help

@Matthijs49

Hello, in order to buy a car in Greece you have to issue a Citizen Card which is actually a permit that shows that you live here in Greece. Yes you must have it even if you are EU citizen.

I am writing it to you from my own experience - I bought  a car here in Greece although I  am a Dutch citizen and it was three years ago. Maybe regulation has been changed since then.

can i register a new car in greece under my daughters name she is 17”and has a permit

Hello, I am Polish, I have Polish citizenship but I do not live in Greece. Can I buy a quad bike and register it there in Greece and insure it? It is possible ? I just visit a friend there often and I would like to have a machine there. Is it possible?

I want to buy a quad, I come to my friend to visit him sometimes, and at the end of the year I'm moving here, I want to buy a quad, but from what I heard, I can't register it in my name if I don't have the tax code. Is it true? Is there any way around it?

@wwocash

If you're moving to (and settling in) Greece, you'll need a Greek tax number (AFM) anyway. Otherwise, you won't be allowed to stay for more than 90 days, rent accommodation, work or get paid! 

In theory, you must have your main residence in Greece in order to register a car in your name (wich will be the case if you settle).

If you're just planning to visit your friend for the vacations, you won't be able to register a car in your name.

Hello

what if I only have a holiday house, and stay less than 90 days per year ? we are french citizens and we have a tax number, but no registration.

where is the « KEP » in Crete ? Heraklion only ? and what is it exactly ? police office ?

we have the project to buy a car at our nearest garage. do we need to do something before ? and does it take a long time ?

thanks