Menu
Expat.com

Process for rentista visa

Last activity 07 April 2023 by mail66

sakoseyan

Hi I'm thoroughly confused so hope someone who knows the process can help. I've December interview for rentista visa but I'm told I should transfer over the sizeable deposit funds for visa now. All seems rushed as no immigration appointment for 6 months+. I'm told no guarantees but you can have back-up appointment for Immigration if funds paid and earlier appointment cancels. But no one can say what happens to deposit funds if no visa granted and Bank saids must put funds on 2 year deposit once received. I can't wait for December as bank account is suspended after 3 months if no deposit. All seems a mishmash and sounds kinda risky. Or is this just Costa Rica??? I'm wondering as it's pretty different to my home country.

JBuonopane12

Sak
       You have to make the small deposits that they require in BCR Bank to get your application rolling
Once you get your appointment with immigration and they  review all your documents and tell you if everything is correct. At that point you have to make the $60,000 deposit which you will draw $2500 off of monthly

It’s a 100% slow slow process here and most of it makes no sense but CR is all about money and Taxes
No different then the States

I chose to just stay on the 90 day tourist visa. I think it’s easier and less expensive, I may eventually go with the Investor or SA (LLC) business program for my residency

Hope this helps

FYI.... you should have received a date to appear at immigration once you applied not sure why you are waiting 6 months
When I applied back in February of this year they issued me an appointment right away, it was 2 months out but once I requested an appointment to file my application they responded rather quickly

sakoseyan

Thanks, most helpful. May I ask what you were seeking from Immigration appointment if not getting a visa? I thought you needed an established business for LLC visa?

JBuonopane12

If I buy real property for $200k I can apply for a investor residency

CR does prompt the business program just like they don’t promote marriage or having a kid with a Tica

But a lawyer I retained here made me aware if I partner with a Tico or even if I start a business here with a real office here I can apply for residency under that program. I am told it’s some what more difficult but can be done

I am nervous on parking $60 K in a bank here for the renter program
And I’m not on board yet with buying real property here because I’m still on the fence if CR is for me long term

I fly back to New York and South Carolina monthly so the tourist visa thing has been the easiest and cheapest so far

I just got back to CR yesterday and the airports, planes and immigration are insane with people from the states traveling again

I would recommend trying Costa Rica out on a tourist visa first before you invest in a residency program
Costa Rica is not cheap to live and not as easy as some sell it
Driving here is brutal especially in the San Jose area

Do a test run around the land to see what area you feel comfortable with and see how life operates here

As others have mentioned in other chats most Americans last 1 to 5 years here

I’m available if you have any questions I have been living here 2 years

sakoseyan

Hi am doing the tourist visa currently. Am also nervous about parking the $60k due to other experiences overseas and the mishmash mentioned above. I'm a long way off buying property which I'm told isn't for the faint hearted. Would rent longer term before that.

JBuonopane12

Good deal
         Stay on the tourist visa until you feel this is the place for you
I’ve been doing it for 2 years.  I have even done the bus run to Panama which is fun
Ya the real estate is nutty here and risky because if you decide to head back home it’s difficult to sell property over $200k. and renting out can be a nightmare and rent prices here are very low so at the end of the year you would make a few shekels after HOA cost and taxes
The banks here scare me and if you are not a resident most banks wouldn’t let you do wire transfer back to the states on your own money. Means you have to withdraw from a ATM which some banks whack you with fees on withdrawals

I have a non resident account here with a private bank currently just to have debit card to pay my Kolbi cell phone and my quick pass account

sakoseyan

What exactly by private bank do you mean?

kohlerias

As a Rentista for many years, I would advise newcomers  to live here on a tourist visa, until the 'new rules' for residency are established.
Surprisingly, there has been little discussion on the many forums about the 'proposed changes.' Personally, I think it will be more difficult than anticipated.

JBuonopane12

I agree Kohl visit and try it out before committing
I read a bill in the 2nd phase of government here which will lower the purchase of real property from $200k down to $150K also no tax on importing 1 car and 1 shipping container with furnishings

I believe it’s like any place we visit on vacation we have all said I “would to love to live here” when we truly try it we see how spoiled we are living  in the States or Canada
It’s takes some real adjustments to make it here
I have a battle going on with crazy amounts of bugs and Scary Ass tarantulas. 
But I wait to gorgeous mountain tops and beautiful sunrises
I have the luxury of picking my own mangos, oranges, tangerines and lemons from the trees  on my property
I have also met a gorgeous Tica woman who is a professional here and speaks superb  English   So don’t believe the hype that all Ticas are hustlers to gringos
If you are in your 40’s, 50’s and 60’s and looking for a 20 year olds then prepare to get hustled or even snuffed out. Remember prostitution is legal and many young women look for gringos because they are taught that we are all rich  so even a broke ass gringo who emptied his piggy bank to get here can look like a rock star here to a Tica
Yup even Chubby and bald we are super stars here

As they natives say here even is White Gringos
PURA VIDA

GuestPoster314

What's the guesstimate timeline of the bill you wrote about going into effect?

JBuonopane12

They are voting this Thursday it says. The article is in the Tico Times

www.ticotimes.net

kohlerias

Your guess could be as good as mine!
At the moment it seems that there is still a huge backlog for already existing residency applications, so  any new ones will have to wait their turn.

Edit: I haven't read exactly how these changes will affect a Rentista applicant.

JBuonopane12

Private bank is one not owned by the government
They also have a few credit unions

I was only able to open a savings account with Grupo Mutual with out having a temp residency card every other bank from Government to private denied with out having a residency card

They are very petty in the banking industry here they charge fees for everything

They require you to open two savings accounts one in Dollars and one in Colones
If I wire money from my account in the states Bank of America charges me Zero but when in hits here in CR I have to pay Bank of National a $27 fee and them Grupo Mutual a $17 fee. Every wire transfer I am told goes through the bank of National and then it’s wired to your CR bank
I am limited to only wiring &1500 amounts monthly if I exceed that it locks out my accounts until I can prove where the money was earned... Crazy Shit

I found it really comical they charge a $1.50 plastic fee for getting a debit card
Oh they also charge you a fee when you convert your dollars to colones
This is why I use my credit cards to pay for everything
My credit cards charge nothing for the conversion and I have the protection to dispute a charge if something goes bad

Be aware this is the country of no return policy so
If you buy something and it breaks or comes out of the box you are shit out of luck. They stored here will fight you until the end not allowing a return
So the few experiences I have had is I return it to the customer service counter and walk out and dispute the charge with Amex or chase with some photos and I’m good to go

I bought my new car and got really concerned when I didn’t receive my ownership title and license plates after 3 months so I threatened the dealership that I would stop the charge on my credit card.  I paid for my car using a credit card with no fees
It was my bad because I was told it can take anywhere from 1 to 6 months to receive your title and plates because of the saying nothing moves fast in Costa Rica
The dealership has been nothing but top shelf service and it’s been the best service i have come across in my 30 years of car buying
Free window tint
Life time oil changes they even pick up and drop off my car

Henrych

These proposed changes have been in the proposal stage and discussed for years. It may take 5 more years to put them into action. I personally can't count on that. Life is too short.

drmozzi

About "rentista", the 60000 USD must be deposited into a colones account ?

Or is it possible to keep USD into bank ?

mail66

before you purchase real estate the best idea is to find an appraiser who works for one of the mutuals for many years since they are more conservative than the regular banks

suggest you read about angela jimenez rocha who has worked as an appraiser for over 33 years in costa rica

at orbitcostarica site

Articles to help you in your expat project in Costa Rica

All of Costa Rica's guide articles