Menu
Expat.com

Dispute over security deposit

Last activity 14 June 2021 by Jodsy

Jodsy

Hi Everybody,

I have recently changed apartment and am having some problems getting my security deposit returned. On the exit inspection with the landlord's representative I pointed out 2 broken glasses, 2 broken plates and a bedside lamp that had been broken when I was there and said to take the damage from the security deposit. As far as I was aware this was all I had to pay for as I had left the apartment in the exact same condition I took it in.

When I received the final statement, it said I had failed to pay my first month rent, I had to pay ewa for April, May June and July 2020 (When the Bahrain Government were paying the bills), and the aforementioned breakages. This statement said that he would take my security deposit and I now owed him 300BD. After going through my bank statements I managed to prove I had indeed paid the first month's rent, which now meant he owed me 350BD.  Had he paid this back I would have been reasonably happy (security deposit was 650)

Two days later he contacts me and says he has carried out a second inspection and found some flaking paintwork, a hairline crack in the plaster and some paint deterioration on the hand rail on the balcony. He wanted 250BD to fix this.  Aside from pointing out that this is normal wear and tear as per the contract or construction issues, I also had photo's that I took at the very first viewing to show that the damage he mentioned was already there 1.5 months before I moved in. For that reason I was  disputing the 250 BD for repairs. Since then I have heard nothing.

After that long winded post, my question is this; What legal recourse do I have in the event this dispute cannot be resolved? Also, am I liable for the electricity bills that clearly say on it the Bahrain government will pay due to covid? I know the owner is a Saudi National and he is implying he did not get this benefit.

One final point is, I believe the owner is claiming the apartment is his main residence as he could not provide the municipality document that would allow my wife to get a CPR. I point this out as I wonder how willing he would be have a legal dispute knowing he is not telling the truth to get cheap municipality and ewa.

Once again, sorry about the long post, but I didn't want to miss out any pertinent points.

XTang

You have to file a case before rera dispute committee if your contract is registered in rera which I don't think it is.  Otherwise in local civil court. Irrespective of anything, you have to file as a pre emptive measure as if he files a case for non payment of dues, he becomes the aggrieved party and you lose the moral high ground.

As a Saudi, he doesn't get subsidized electricity. Secondly, the Bahrain government paid the bills for every account irrespective of nationality. But this was capped in line with last year bill.  So if the house was empty last year and the bill was zero or close to it, they wouldn't have paid anything beyond that.

Jodsy

Thanks XTang. Makes me think I may as well just pay the 250 to avoid the hassle. I know he's taking the mick but the hassle of a court case is daunting. Very frustrating 😡

XTang

I always weight the hassle vs. putting an a**hole in his place...........I guess I am much more vindictive by nature smile.png.

Jodsy

Perhaps I should borrow some of your vindictiveness 🤣

Articles to help you in your expat project in Manama

All of Manama's guide articles