Menu
Expat.com

teaching career in the Middle East

Last activity 05 October 2012 by kiwiRee

marieendale

What are the advantages of pursuing a teaching career in the Middle East?

Christine

Hi marieendale,

I have introduced your topic as a new thread on the Middle East forum as you were off topic on the other discussion.

I hope you get replies very soon.
Good luck
Christine

semman72

I do think that teaching still full of advantages anywhere.

BAK

I believe teaching is usually not a very financially beneficial profession unless at university level in some cases. And unfortunately Middle East and Asian countries don't have propoer career lines defined for teachers.

vinel1110

If you will be teaching in a university I think you will be well compensated. Also you need to learn speaking in Arabic even if it's an international school since the students are not all well converse in English...

shashibhushan

Do Science teachers have any Extra earning source in Muscat?

kiwiRee

Benefits of teaching in Middle East IF YOU ARE CAREFUL
1.  In some places a good wage - Gas company schools with a few years experience QR16,000 - QR22,000
2.  Accomodation provided and utilities such as power, water and phone allowance -therefore an opportunity to save
3.  Holidays seem to be plentiful - hours mine are 7.00 to 1.30 though I tend to be there 6.30 - 3.00
4.  Cultural experience - here/ the people you meet are varied and the chance to travel overseas for extended breaks (summer is 8 weeks)
5. Teachers I talk to say the children we teach are less likely to have the behavioural issues you find in the UK.
6. Experience -something to look back on in 10, 20, 40 years time and say I did something different.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Middle East

All of the Middle East's guide articles