Menu
Expat.com

Renting a house - how does it work?

Last activity 13 March 2024 by rfuzurally

tomgmu

Hi

I will probably travel to Mauirtius as a tourist soon. I would like to rent a house, because I wanna stay longer (first on tourist visa, later on premium).

Questions:

- Is it possible to rent on monthly basis?
- If contracts are fixed term, what to expect? One year, 6 months?
- Do I have to pay upfront before I move in (like 2-3 months rent prepaid)?

I never been to MU before, so.a fixed term contract is not ideal for me. Ideally, I would rent something on a monthly basis first and once I got the premium visa, I would switch to a longer term contract.

Is this possible?

Any advice / info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

roman767

Hi, I would advise you to book an apartment in the Region where you want to settle down, or book a House from a Tourist Agency or Private. Many Houses are empty for the moment and you get a good price and you can visit before. Visit before is a must to avoid disappointment, its only my advise. Any more questions, no worries.

tashwilmot

Dont forget about Air B n B.  This might work for what you have in mind.

tomgmu

Thanks for the response!

Any tourist agencies you would recommend in particular?

tomgmu

OK thanks!

roman767

Check beachhousesmauritius.com / Air BnB / Booking.com / TripAdvisor, they are many, if you have a Region you also can contact me /
I stay in Tamarin and know a lot of Owners here.
But the Best is to book only a few days in advance and check yourself

Pushpaa Rao54

Air BNB is expensive....There are many houses on rent. Go to lexpress property and choose what you want.....any help please shout out....

tashwilmot

Thanks I may do so myself smile.png  We will relocate in December this year and will just need to set up a temp let of say week or two while we look around for long term rent.  So if better options than Air B n B it is good to know.

Ceresiet

also subscribe to the Rental listings right here on the Expat forum, to be notified as soon as new listings are added:

https://www.expat.com/en/housing/africa … -rent.html

and

https://www.expat.com/en/housing/africa … -rent.html

cmircea

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please use only English on the anglophone forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Mac65

I agree.  I think you can find the best objects here for reasonable prices.  Ill probably go for this site when its time to rent something which will probably be in a few years. Ive skipped my plans to wait 12 years for my retirement.  I want to relocate earlier.

feilchen

@Pushpaa Rao54 hello, I am staying for 6 weeks on the island, is it still possible to rent a normal appartment. For one person, basic furniture is enough. Thanks!

Bhavna

@feilchen

Hello, feel free to post a "looking for" advert in the Housing section so that members can send you offers.

https://www.expat.com/en/housing/africa … s/add.html

All the best

Bhavna

rfuzurally

Hi I ***

Moderated by Cheryl 7 months ago
Reason : Advertising
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
rfuzurally

Otherwise you can send me more information about your stay and I'll see if I can recommend you to someone.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Accommodation in Mauritius
    Accommodation in Mauritius

Thanks to its idyllic setting and its proximity to Africa, India, Australia and Asia in general, this small, ...

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles