Menu
Expat.com

Huzzah!!! D7 approved for the family from the San Francisco consulate

Last activity 26 February 2023 by vijir

Michae Lewis

Hiya all!

Amazing news!  We received our passports with the D7 visas - for myself, my husband and our son.  Very exciting.  The process took 5 full weeks from interview to FedEx delivery.  We leave for Portugal on the 6th of July!  Super excited to begin this journey.  Now to find some housing.  We are looking in the Algarve (hopefully in the Lagos region).  Fingers crossed!  Thank you to all who have chimed in and offered support along the way.  Invaluable! 

FYI - They did permit our visa with the appropriate sponsorship letters (no lease or owned property).

Yahoo
Best,
Michael

JohnnyPT

Hi Michael,

You're welcome.

Thank you so much for your feedback. Your input is very helpful for those who have questions regarding the D7 visa & consulate interview.

Please keep us informed about your next steps in Portugal.

All the best smile.png

nikilukman

Congratulations and hope you are having a great time in Portugal! I wanted to ask about bringing your spouse, do you submit 2 NIFs and bank accounts, or just one? I am preparing the documents for my husband and me, but not quite sure.

Thank you!

Nayiri

Hello Michae, congratulations on your and your family's visa. and hope you'll have great time there.
In 2022 i am planning as well to move to Portugal. Can you please guide me to the D7 visa process. would really appreciate.
Thank you!

Seafire

@Michae Lewis hi Michae, we are interested in D7 and we are living in the Bay too. So, what’s the interview about in SF consulate, they will contact the applicant after apply the visa for the interview? And if so, how long are that be after apply. Thanks

pinkiethebear
Hi, I applied for the D7 through San Francisco last year and have been living in Lisbon since August 2021. There is no interview for the D7 Visa at VFS. The only “interview” is at SEF to get your residency card, but in actuality it isn’t an interview at all. You just submit documents similar to the ones you did at VFS and they take your picture (some SEF offices don’t have a camera, so check if the location you are assigned to requires you to bring a photo or not).

If you choose to apply for permanent residency after 5 years or a Portuguese passport after 6, I believe there is an interview at that time along with a language test.

Not everything is consistent regarding paperwork in Portugal, but I had my SEF appt at the Agualva Cacém office in the Lisbon region fir my temporary residency card and there was no interview at all (at least for me).

Hope this helps!
carr1liz

@pinkiethebear thank you so much.

rosedeats
@Michae Lewis
I am glad everything went well for you and your family. I want to get some information about the paperwork you had to provide from your host. Did you only have to provide the TOR         (Termo de Responsabilidade) form or did you need additional information from your host? My husband and I have been invited to stay with friends as our accommodation. However, I am not sure what the length of stay should our friend stipulate on the TOR form and if additional information is requested from the VFS. Thank you!
helenegoldberg
Congratulations. What kind of sponsorship did you offer instead of a lease on an apartment?

Helene
nallelievega

@Michae Lewis I am trying to do the same, but I don't know how I'm supposed to get the SEF Criminal record without a CMD or digital mobile key. Can you please advise?

Cheryl

Hello nallelievega,

Welcome to Expat.com

It's been 8 months since the OP visited the forum.

You can also start a new thread on the Portugal forum to ask your question about the SEF Criminal record.

Perhaps more active members will be able to help you with that.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

JohnnyPT
@Michae Lewis I am trying to do the same, but I don't know how I'm supposed to get the SEF Criminal record without a CMD or digital mobile key. Can you please advise?
-@nallelievega

Hi nallelievega,

PT criminal record certificate is accessed by SEF.

Criminal record certificates

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 42#5212199

(Post #10)

Best Regards

mjgillard57

Hello, can anyone kindly respond to the following please:

I have my appointment on March 2nd and want to know if I have a bank statement with both husband and wife name but only the wife is applying, would that be an issue. I welcome any suggestions about the paperwork please.

Secondly, (a) After I receive the stamped passport with the D7 visa, can I travel to Italy first before going to Portugal or do I have to travel directly to Portugal.

(b) Is there a time limit after you receive the stamped passport for you to leave your country?

My daughter is relocating to Italy for school and I want to travel with her before going to Portugal.

Please please advise, thanks much.

vijir

@Michae Lewis

Hi Michael,

Congratulations!

I also received my D7 Visa from Portugal Consulate in NYC, but I have been scheduled for an interview with SEF mid April 2023.  Did you have an interview with SEF?  Did they accept your invitation letter by sponsor?  Do I need to have a NIF card and Bank Account before I attend SEF interview?

Thanks much and good luck!

vijir

Articles to help you in your expat project in Portugal

• Work visas in Portugal
    Work visas in Portugal

Portugal can be a great place to live in. This Southern European country is known for its great weather, ...

• General visa requirements for Portugal
    General visa requirements for Portugal

If you are planning to visit or relocate to Portugal, it is important to be aware of visa and entry ...

• Dating in Portugal
    Dating in Portugal

If it's true that dating in general can be tricky and present its challenges, even more so when we talk about ...

• The Portuguese lifestyle
    The Portuguese lifestyle

Moving to a new country means you will be discovering a new culture and exploring different habits, as well as a ...

• Phones and Internet in Portugal
    Phones and Internet in Portugal

Whether or not you are a tech-savvy person, this is still quite an important part of everyday life – and it ...

• Renting options in Porto
    Renting options in Porto

Over the past few years, rent prices in Porto have been soaring. As the city's popularity grows among tourists ...

• Working in Lisbon
    Working in Lisbon

Lisbon is Portugal's capital and also the largest city in the country. Furthermore, it is the richest ...

• Healthcare for the elderly in Portugal
    Healthcare for the elderly in Portugal

Portugal is a popular destination for retirement for Europeans, in general, but also retirees from other ...

All of Portugal's guide articles