FENCING COMPANY PEST COUNTY

My house is on a steep hill and I have now had the misfortune of an ice cream rolling back down the road and crashing through my wrought iron fencing - partially demolishing the accompanying stone wall.

I am trying to find a contractor who would be able to repair the wall and install a new, and more modern, wooden fencing.

I will start to look locally (Szentendre) for a company but just wondered if anyone here might be able to recommend one that might cover areas outside Budapest ?

Worth a try I thought ?

Thanks

Keith R

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I have a friend that does this type of work drop me a line and Ill pass you his number. Do you speak any Hungarian?

Keith R wrote:

My house is on a steep hill and I have now had the misfortune of an ice cream rolling back down the road and crashing through my wrought iron fencing - partially demolishing the accompanying stone wall.

I am trying to find a contractor who would be able to repair the wall and install a new, and more modern, wooden fencing.

I will start to look locally (Szentendre) for a company but just wondered if anyone here might be able to recommend one that might cover areas outside Budapest ?

Worth a try I thought ?

Thanks

Keith R

Finding people to do things has been very difficult recently.   The other thing is that the price of materials is increasing rapidly.  We have struggled for some years to get things done here. The good ones are always busy and it's a seller's market.   

BTW, why cannot the vehicle insurance cover restoration?  Then it's not your problem but the insurance company has to do some work.  Or did the vehicle (assumed van, not just a large ice cream) have no insurance? In which case, the owner could pay you cash.

I hope it gets fixed.
I just had to comment because I thought you had a mud slide not a van roll into your fence.
That's the difference with American and British English.
I'd think that van that caused the damage is responsible to pay for the repairs.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I hope it gets fixed.
I just had to comment because I thought you had a mud slide not a van roll into your fence.
That's the difference with American and British English.
I'd think that van that caused the damage is responsible to pay for the repairs.

He meant an "ice cream van" which would be nice thing to see here. 

The word "van" was left out so I was also thinking a giant 99 (not mud slide) had slithered down the hill and demolished the fence.

I miss ice cream vans patrolling - used to see it as a special thing back in the day.  Surprised if they are here because I cannot recall seeing one in Hungary.

When I was a child my older sister was dating the local ice cream driver!
Heaven!!
He was still in school but worked after school driving the van. Of course he came down our st. every day to say hi to my sister.
We would run out to to welcome him and get our fix for the day.
My eldest sister gt her first job to help pay for cllege by working in a dairy queen shop.
They served fast fod as well as banana splits and cones.
Her boss knew she had a ton of younger siblings and always gave her ready to expire tubs of ice cream to take home before the due day on the cartons.
So glad mom had a huge freezer to store the tubs...Of course they were long gone before they expired.

I suppose home owners insurnace could cme out and look at the damages.
It's up to the van owner in the end to cover the costs of repairs.

Well - the van chimes its way around this hilly area every day in the summer months, although it now fills me with dread - pavlov style....

As we moved to Hungary we were charmed by our current house, however we had a few dogs and at the time of buying we made it one of our conditions to have the property fully fenced (concrete and iron). Fencing is creating a cost but not too massive. Fencing (even without dogs) is a sensible thing to do. However I would advise concrete and metal.

Complaining is easy, and for Hungarians that is part of life; having said that life is also cheap, so many cost-effective opportunities in Hungary. In Hungary we have more Tujas than in Luxembourg but maintaining them is 3 x more cost-effective.

Stop complaining or consider moving (like we do).
Hungary is not too bad, but life will become as in Western Europe (ie too expensive)
We are lucky to have our own property (increased in price) so we can afford to move,

To many readers on this forum, stop complaining and appreciate some of the pluses of life (having said that do not forget on the future life).

Keith R wrote:

Well - the van chimes its way around this hilly area every day in the summer months, although it now fills me with dread - pavlov style....

According to this link you have Xuegachephobia. 

It's given me Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia thinking about it.

I never knew any of this was a thing. Not something I've thought about too much until today.

The 99 wall of death coming down your street is bound interfere with your day. 

Pavlova style - ice cream pavlovas are really rather nice. 

Spooky coincidence that something so benign can cause so much pain.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

When I was a child my older sister was dating the local ice cream driver!
Heaven!!
He was still in school but worked after school driving the van. Of course he came down our st. every day to say hi to my sister.
We would run out to to welcome him and get our fix for the day.
My eldest sister gt her first job to help pay for cllege by working in a dairy queen shop.
They served fast fod as well as banana splits and cones.
Her boss knew she had a ton of younger siblings and always gave her ready to expire tubs of ice cream to take home before the due day on the cartons.
So glad mom had a huge freezer to store the tubs...Of course they were long gone before they expired.

I suppose home owners insurnace could cme out and look at the damages.
It's up to the van owner in the end to cover the costs of repairs.

Mein gott, that was a good deal with the ice cream van driver and Dairy Queen. 

BTW, I am looking for the unpublished secret on how to make soft scoop ice cream.

cdw057 wrote:

As we moved to Hungary we were charmed by our current house, however we had a few dogs and at the time of buying we made it one of our conditions to have the property fully fenced (concrete and iron). Fencing is creating a cost but not too massive. Fencing (even without dogs) is a sensible thing to do. However I would advise concrete and metal.

I watched some fellas install our fence and realised it's easy if you have the right machine. One person can do the main parts and you need two to shift some of the heavier parts. 

So I bought some panels locally, the accoutrements like brackets and posts, bags of ready mix cement and installed a couple of panels myself.   It's really not difficult to do but you need a decent back and a bit of muscle to move stuff around.   

Sometimes it's just cheaper and easier to just do it yourself now there's a labour shortage.

Here's the right kind of machine:

https://www.bergep.hu/assets/cache/images/products/medium/313/BT-130.jpg

Like the jokes.....i will share one of my own...when I called the UK I told my wife that I was getting a quote and that because its in HUF it was going to be "hundreds and thousands".....she did not get it !!

Keith R wrote:

Like the jokes.....i will share one of my own...when I called the UK I told my wife that I was getting a quote and that because its in HUF it was going to be "hundreds and thousands".....she did not get it !!

They should really divide by 10 and use NHUF (New HUF).   In the past the Romanians did it and so have others.  I suppose they are waiting for an appropriate time for HU to adopt the EUR. 

Maybe your Mrs should have a lie down after the shock of exchange rate conversions (don't know the phobia for that one).  Don't tell her motorway fuel prices - getting up to 500 HUF a litre!

Your fencing issue has gone wildly off topic but it's a rich subject for playing around - I ain't complaining, it's either waffle here inanely or clean up the shed and outside.   Any distraction!

There are ice cream trucks at Balatonalmadi. They sell frozen food also. I guess the Budapest traffic couldn't allow such things.

Livia Kretsch wrote:

There are ice cream trucks at Balatonalmadi. They sell frozen food also. I guess the Budapest traffic couldn't allow such things.

If you mean Family Frost, we have that here.  I feel sorry for them. I think they work on commission and hardly sell anything. 

I  was thinking more of the vans where they serve ice cream in cones from an ice cream extruding machine.  It's something I really remember from my  childhood - hearing the chimes (usually Greensleeves) and rushing home to get money and then racing to the van.  Always seemed to be a treat as it happened so rarely.

When we bought our home in S.Ca. in the mid 1980's it came with a wooden fence and gate.
It was old and not very pretty looking.
We took it down( I literally tore it down while my husband was at  work and put it in bundles for the trash man. ( No one can tell me being a housewife isn't a job!)
Called several brick layers and settled on one to put up a new fence, 6 feet high. It seemed higher because our home was slighlty up grade and on the corner of the block.
New wooden gate was installed too.
They had to use deep rods to secure the bricks becuase of earthquake regualtions.
Think back then the fence cost around, $3,000 but that again was in the 80's.
They aren't cheap.
Had my BIL who was a mason ( not in the club but a mason all the same...)come over from Hungary and rebuild the other brick walls in our yard between the other neighbors homes.
Tore them down, put in new rods and made the fence a bit taller.
The different jobs only took a few days.
I heard they still came down in sme areas after the Northridge quake.
Nothing lasts forever.