Menu
Expat.com

Reshaped by a culture?

Last activity 28 August 2012 by k9000

spongekoji

For whatever reason one ends up in living overseas they need to ditch what was normal for them and incorporate new things into life whether they like it or not. Some seem to almost frantically replicate their home countries by eating the same food, dressing the same and kitting your house out the same and doing the same activities. While it is understandable to respect their heritage I think they will miss out a lot by seeking too much what you know in a different place.

There are things, of course, that I miss about the country where I grew up. I did and still do, however, the best I could to acculturate and broaden my horizon. I recently realize that how one adapts to a culture and respond accordingly. It is really obvious but you dont see it until you find yourself in a different culture. Things that are normal in one country are considered to be rude in another country. Slurping food for instance, I was completely oblivious to the sound when I was in Japan and it never occurred to me someone might be raising their eye brows or be disgusted. I have to admit that I was still oblivious to it a few years after I had moved to South Africa. But one day, a friend of mine was nice enough to point my slurping out. Sometimes it is not easy to point things like that out to someone since they might not like being pointed out. But I really appreciate it now. Or I would be still slurping it away.

Since then I made a conscious effort not to slurp and now I dont even think about it. My mouth are sealed while eating. I did so out of politeness at first. But now that I dont slurp I notice it when someone does it and that makes me so uncomfortable. I was so surprised, almost amazed that I responded that way. I must have been the biggest slurper in Japan but after living in a country for 10 years where it is considered to be impolite to slurp I not only notice it but I squirm for it. I am sure if I go back to Japan I will get used back to it again before long but I bet it takes some time. Another example is that when I look at a woman. I find myself looking at where I had not interested in. I dont do it obviously and creepily in a harassing way. All in a range of appreciation. I dont know if it is making any sense... These are just pretty lame examples I dont think they have made a ground breaking change in me.

How many more and in what aspect have I changed this way? I honestly dont know. There seem to be changes I am conscious and unconscious about. I dont even quite remember how I did things 10 years ago differently. I remember shaking hands and hugging when meeting people but how often, was it only when it was special, did I ask to pass me the salt instead of thrusting my hand in front of the guy next to me? It is not I moved overseas when I was little in which case it would be totally natural to be reshaped but I was mid 20s.

On another a bit more serious note, I was also very much oblivious to racism. Even the concept of racism was foreign to me. Japan is a very homogenous country I didnt have any non Japanese friend. I was, well put it positively, innocent. But here in South Africa it is almost impossible to not feel it first hand or second hand. It is a lot about black and white (Asian, what they call coloured, Indian, etc) to the point where it is annoying often. It is darn politically correct. Some people turn just about everything into a racism matter which has made me sensitive to it. Worst, it has made me self conscious about it. While I know I am colour blind as I was in Japan I have to admit I have been affected by their sensitivity. Does racism mean one has unfair opinions on a certain race merely and utterly on grounds of the skin colour or more on a cultural thing? The former is way too shallow to even begin to comprehend.
I like to believe all this is a learning process for me and helps expand my horizon further tho..
Do you at all feel moulded by a different culture?

k9000

Very interesting points/questions/topics. Might come back someday to give my 5 Rand's worth of opinion.

Articles to help you in your expat project

All guide articles