Menu
Expat.com

Mauritian Creole

Last activity 06 October 2021 by Corine P Dhondee

Corine P Dhondee

Hello,

I am based in London and would like to learn Mauritian Creole.

I've looked online but cannot find a course.

Does anyone know a course or a teacher?

Thanks, Corine

Anou86

Hello Corine,

Welcome to Expat.Com  smile.png

Well, I guess that the best for you would be to interact with Mauritians in London... where are you located ?

I don't know any course or teacher, but have a look at this YouTube channel : youtube.com/channel/UCa1UKKrDWf6eZ_jeQQbcfGQ

And this one

youtube.com/watch?v=xekjrYvVxN8

Regards,
Anou

Guest72364927

Most Mauritians in London are poor and live around Edmonton,Leytonstone,Leyton area.This is where you will tend to find someone who can offer creole lessons.

Well off ones live around Esssex london borders like Chigwell,Barkingside,Clayhall and Gantshill.

Good luck.

Corine P Dhondee

Migrant communities live in particular areas not because of their wealth or lack of but because of a number of factors such as socio-political factors. Many Mauritians who came to England in the '70s were highly qualified and yet were not allowed to work in the areas they were qualified in and had to take employment in factories before gaining employment in more skilled areas. Many faced a lot of racism, being unable to gain employment is one aspect of racism. That Mauritians succeeded and have created communities in various parts of the UK is a testament to their resilience, resourcefulness and absolute brilliance.

Guest72364927
Corine P Dhondee wrote:

Migrant communities live in particular areas not because of their wealth or lack of but because of a number of factors such as socio-political factors. Many Mauritians who came to England in the '70s were highly qualified and yet were not allowed to work in the areas they were qualified in and had to take employment in factories before gaining employment in more skilled areas. Many faced a lot of racism, being unable to gain employment is one aspect of racism. That Mauritians succeeded and have created communities in various parts of the UK is a testament to their resilience, resourcefulness and absolute brilliance.

Really  lol.pnglol.png .I spent 20 years in England and I have yet to discover the so called "Mauritian community". Not sure why you are bringing the 70's era as it was no different to Indian/Pakistani or for  any other south Asian community, let alone Mauritian. That era was different with the true hard working Mauritians, but that population is either dead/decimating/or moved back to Mauritius.

Lets compare the current 2nd generation/new arrivals from Mauritius who have just come to the UK or (England) as they like to call it if they are from village rather than city in Mauritius):

Some facts:

1st choice : Canada
2nd Choice : UK
3rd Choice:  USA

1. As per the original post majority of Mauritians are poor in UK (asset wise and education wise),despite what you want to believe in your own world and the reason they are concentrated in the above mentioned areas, because these are cheap ghettos and you have a family of 4 squeezed in a 3 bedroom house.

Also you said you are from London, SO you must know the amount of Mauritians in the council estates or housing. They make up nearly 2% of the new arrivals. This is all from the government data.

2. Majority of current Mauritians are working for NHS/Care homes despite what they tell you when they visit Mauritius. You will find very very few Mauritians working in the top paying sector like finance or Investment. Also most of them are in a low paid jobs and being funded by taxpayer in the form of many benefits. Take the subsidy away and you will see how many end up on the scrap pile.

Reality might be hard to accept, but if you have lived in the UK among the Mauritians you will know that the life they portray back home is nothing like what they have here. Poverty is rife among the Mauritians, and there are very few wealthy ones around.

Again the well off ones live around Essex border or up in Surrey so maybe you could use google and take a trip around the areas and you will see what I mean.

You wanted to know where you can learn creole, and based by your name I am assuming you are 2nd Generation Mauritian you will find a  teacher in the above areas. Also if you want to learn because you really want to learn croele good for you, however if you are looking to move stick with English as you get better treatment in Mauritius if you speak English, but you must know that.(Another trait of being low skilled and uneducated )Good Luck

standaman1967

So the last two young mauritians i met in london came to study, qualified - and rather than take the potential 'riches' on offer in london, instead returned to their home to run successful businesses and careers - both still in their 20s. And so what if some mauritians are less well off in london or anywhere else for that matter? Many immigrants to the UK (and indeed an increasing number of British ) are also on the breadline (It's why people immigrate more often than not in the first place)....it's not an exclusively Mauritian thing! And those Mauritians that I have met in London, at least didn't confuse wealth as being the only measure of what it is to be a decent human being.

Guest72364927
standaman1967 wrote:

So the last two young mauritians i met in london came to study, qualified - and rather than take the potential 'riches' on offer in london, instead returned to their home to run successful businesses and careers - both still in their 20s. And so what if some mauritians are less well off in london or anywhere else for that matter? Many immigrants to the UK (and indeed an increasing number of British ) are also on the breadline (It's why people immigrate more often than not in the first place)....it's not an exclusively Mauritian thing! And those Mauritians that I have met in London, at least didn't confuse wealth as being the only measure of what it is to be a decent human being.

lol.pnglol.pnglol.png
Are you aware of the term used in the UK "Dinosaur"

Corine P Dhondee

Thank you  heart.png

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Education in Mauritius
    Education in Mauritius

The Mauritian school system is based on the Anglo-Saxon model and is divided, as is often the case elsewhere, into ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles