Leaving a rental

Hi! I have a difficult situation.

We have left our 1 year contract one month too early. We left the deposit which is one months rent. She is now threatening us that we need to pay one more months rent and a lot of damages, that she will contact the police and housing authorities. My roommate refuses to pay half and I can simply not pay for all by myself. What I have read in the contract if we can not pay the rent we will simply get kicked out and the deposit would be taken from us and the contract would be terminated. She is also stating that the TV is not the same as the one she gave us (which it is) and that we where not allowed to have a cat, which we where. She even met my cat several times. She is threatening us that the housing authorities fines hat super big etc etc. would appreciate the help!

Suggest you all the housing authority, really the only option. There's a arbitration service they offer for this kind of situation

Indigo Funck wrote:

Hi! I have a difficult situation.

We have left our 1 year contract one month too early. We left the deposit which is one months rent. She is now threatening us that we need to pay one more months rent and a lot of damages, that she will contact the police and housing authorities. My roommate refuses to pay half and I can simply not pay for all by myself. What I have read in the contract if we can not pay the rent we will simply get kicked out and the deposit would be taken from us and the contract would be terminated. She is also stating that the TV is not the same as the one she gave us (which it is) and that we where not allowed to have a cat, which we where. She even met my cat several times. She is threatening us that the housing authorities fines hat super big etc etc. would appreciate the help!

Your property rental should be registered with the Malta Housing Authority. If your landlord did not register it then the Authority lays down minimum rules that apply. If your contract is 12 to 24 months you have the right to give 1 months notice after 6 months and have your deposit returned. If you do not give notice you lose your deposit and that is all. Check out the Housing Authority website for full details.
Damage to property is a separate issue.

Hello. We have a situation with a rental flat.

We signed a contract of 1 year

We informed the landlord that we will leave in the 6th month and we gave him a notice 3 months.

Now he comes to insist that we won't give us the deposit. Can he do that?

He needs a valid reason not to give you the deposit back.   Ask him to put the reason in writing.  Then you can consult an Estate Agent and ask their advice if you feel the landlords reason for not giving you the deposit back is genuine and worthy

Also speak to Malta housing authority

Sadly, as you signed a contract for the year, and only a  verbal agreement about renting for 6 months he has the upper hand

Sadly, as you signed a contract for the year, and only a verbal agreement about renting for 6 months he has the upper hand
-@Scotlassinmalta

He does not, since giving notice after 6 month is a process enscribed in law and is their right.

Speak to the housing authority.