Menu
Expat.com

New members of the Spain forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Last activity 04 January 2023 by little dixon

johnbotello03

@Julien good afternoon, yes very interested in moving to Spain I currently live in the United Arab Emirates Abu Dhabi

Faida albayati
Hi, I'm Faida.   I currently live in Turkey and after several years of trying to decide where we'd like to live and work in Spain (we're both in our 50s), I have a 16- year old son who speaks Spanish fluently and a 14- year old girl who likes to proceed her study in Spain.
Can any body tell us about affordable commodation in Spain?
Have a nice day 😊
salliewagenblatt

@Julien I don’t really think I should be on this forum as I’m not planning on moving to Spain though I wish I could . I joined to see if there were any social media sites where I could try and locate two boys my friend and I met in ibeza in 1973/4 . I have a photo of myself with these guys . I can’t remember their names though it could be Franco and Francisco but it’s so long ago I’ve forgotten. They were from Majorca. I’ve posted the details and the photo on Facebook and friends have shared the photo on Spanish sites . I just wondered if there’s any Spanish forums that would be appropriate for me to look for them . Obviously they won’t look like they did on the photo now as I don’t ! We were around 19/20 and late 60s now ! I don’t really know anything about them but want to explain why we missed meeting them that last time . I’ve never forgotten the one I was with and feel sad every time I look at the photo . Any advice would be appreciated. Sallie

Helpneeded27
@Julien
Hi all
Trying to move to Fuerteventura but might have hit a stumbling block with a visa.
Hope someone can help.
ingebarker
Hi

My name is Inge.  I live in Barcelona province in a small town on the sea called Sitges.  My husband, David came here on a six month contract with work.  After 3 weeks we decided we didn´t want to leave.  We now have 3 international supermarkets in Barcelona  province which stock products from Britain, America and Holland.  We ship goods all over Spain, France and Portugal.

We love the life style here.  The people, sun, food and overall ambience.
gwynj
A warm welcome all new members! This topic is really just to introduce yourself to the expat.com forum. I noticed a few have also included requests for advice/info. You might get replies here, but, usually, you will get a better response if you create a new topic specifically about the issue that concerns you (e.g. fiancee visas, how to find accommodation in x, post-Brexit visas, etc.)
selinabelina
Hello everyone!

My name is Selina and I currently have dual citizenship with the USA and Italy. I am looking to move to Spain in a few years. Having visited Europe several times, I am very attracted to both the lifestyle and the ease of access to many other countries/cultures just a short train/plane ride away. I'm from NY, currently living in Colorado, and am beginning to financially prepare for the move in 2025-2026. Still working out logistics, but looking at either Valencia or Madrid as a place to land.

I just got back from a 2 week trip to Morocco and loved the country. Hoping to visit Peru later this year, and I'm glad that world travel is beginning to open up again.

It's been a long time since I've been on a message-board but I thought that this new life plan meant I needed to make new connections, so here I am!

1f600.svg
Lmflmf1
@selinabelina

Welcome and best of luck in your move to Spain.  I’m american with dual citizenship with France and my son has a French passport we live near Barcelona in a small fishing village to the north.  We love it here and are enjoying our time here.  We were in china for 14 years so it is quite a lifestyle change, going from population of 26 million to a village of 15000!
Anyway, if you have any questions about anything just message me.  I’m glad to assist. 
Cheers

Lmf
Jimmy_du_81
Hello Everybody.

I'm Jean-Luc a little guy from South of France. I'm a computer worker (remote). I know Spain since a long time. I'm planning to work 2 3 4 monthes from Canaria Island and may be to retired also, later..

Advises asked for a simple life in Canarias. A simple life that's all I'm looking for...

Thank you very much. My email *****  Don't hesitate to write. French English Spanish...
Moderated by Djameel 2 years ago
Reason : Please share contact details via private message, thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
kanumach
Hey all !

Hope you are keeping good. Im Kanishka (Kany). I'm from Sri Lanka and hoping to step in Spain by October 2022.

I am soo super excited to be living my dream and nervous to leave behind the comfort zone for the adventure. I would describe myself as a very spontaneous, friendly, easy going person who would cook a feast as a token of love and gratitude(that's my way of expressing). So hoping to find a whole bunch there that wouldn't make me miss my home. There's a lot more procedures to go on yet but for now let me keep my excitement on and learn more Spanish.
Much love and Good day all!
MSkeiker
Hi everyone!

I'm Myla. My husband (Syrian) and I (African American) are both college professors in Philadelphia, PA.  We have both enjoyed traveling in the past, but we are now looking for a permanent-for-now place to spend our winter (1 month) and summer (3 months) breaks. We love art, theatre, music, and and cooking/dining. Ideally, we would like to purchase in a large town near the water.  He has lived in Portugal among other places, and we both feel drawn to Andalucia where I have traveled quite a bit. I speak intermediate Spanish and he can understand quite a bit (through Portuguese). Though neither of us have spent any time in the Alicante region, it seems like a good place for us to consider looking, as well.  I'm hoping to narrow down a list of potential towns for the visit we have planned in August.

Thanks!
maureenduke
Hi

I am Maureen I live on the Costa Blanca. I came to Spain in 1998 with my husband and children . Unfortunately my husband died 3 years later and I decided to stay here with the children All children have now fled the nest and made a wonderful life for themselves here in Spain.
cbkate999
HI,

Take Care your self and kids also.

Thanks
asantechristine2640

@maureenduke that's sad..sorry for all

snh149sb
@mptwindsock Hello,

My (I’m Steve) wife (Kim) and I plan to retire to Spain in the next year or so. We live in North Carolina presently. We are interested in the Alicante area. I hope all is well with your settling in Spain. I visited Rota, Carthenia, and Madrid while in the Navy. We are told there is a large expat community in Alicante.

We look forward to hearing about your experiences as you get settled,

Steve
snh149sb
@richpoile Hello,

I am planning to retire in Spain in the near future also. My research has shown that the Spanish languages are dependent on the area you plan to settle in. Also not all Spanish is equal, for example Mexican Spanish is a mix of Spain’s and Aztec. I’m sure though that any Spanish is better than none.

Keep in mind though many locals speak at least some English especially in tourist areas.

Steve
markegoldstein
Hello. I’m Mark and my husband Peter are doing our homework on living in Spain. We have narrowed the choices down to Malaga/Torremolinos, and Valencia.

Our main thing is wanting to find a place where we can live in peace, without daily gun violence as we have here in the US.

Being near the beach, but walking distance to urban life, with public transportation, good food, and friendly people would be great. We are going to try to learn as much Spanish as we can before making our move.

We are planning on visiting sometime next year for a month to get a good feel for what daily life is like.

Hope to chat with other expats too!
M_Taylor

@richpoile Did you get a response to this? I'm in a similar position but looking at previous 'hello' posts there doesn't seem to be a lot of feedback. I've been using apps like Drops and Duolingo for 3 months and am not even conversational yet let alone able to have a professional conversation (though I did manage to help a distressed Spanish lady at the train station 1f601.svg ) . It'd be great to know if you have a more efficient solution

tat2andy

@richpoile Did you get a response to this? I'm in a similar position but looking at previous 'hello' posts there doesn't seem to be a lot of feedback. I've been using apps like Drops and Duolingo for 3 months and am not even conversational yet let alone able to have a professional conversation (though I did manage to help a distressed Spanish lady at the train station 1f601.svg ) . It'd be great to know if you have a more efficient solution

- @M_Taylor

3 months is not a very long time to study a language, my teacher says you need at least 4 years , duolingo is ok to “play” with and give you a few basics but it is actually more like a game, you will never learn enough from it and also it is Latin American Spanish so many words are different .

I did a few months on duolingo then moved on to lessons on zoom during lockdown before moving on to classroom lessons which I do 3.5 hours a week, you can not beat face to face lessons but zoom lessons can also be very effective with a good teacher.

My teacher originates from Barcelona and the lessons have been brilliant, I also self study with CD’s, after watching loads of YouTube videos, reading articles on line, listening to CD’s etc I found the best and most beneficial CD’s for me to be the ones by Paul Noble, these have really accelerated my learning, as I said duolingo is ok to dip your toes in the Spanish language but you will never be fluent with it.
timblo6g

@selinabelina 

Hello Selina,

Did you know you can have two US passports? this would help you as you could use the new one to enter Spain.

See:

Second Passportshttps://nl.usembassy.gov › apply-second-passport
1. Fill out FORM DS-82 · 2. Social Security Requirement · 3. Proof of U.S. Citizenship · 4. One 2"X2" U.S. Format color passport photo · 5. Bring photocopies · 6.

Regards,

Tim

rayenperes22
Hello,

Have a very good day! I just signed up a few minutes ago. I would like to introduce myself to all of you guys.

Thank you so much for your time.
pigdenmike

@sandysimpson9999 Very funny. We are also Sandie and Mike. We are Canadians who live most òf the time in Mazatlan, Mexico. We also live a few months in Canada and the rest of the time try to travel. Hope your time in Galicia goes well. We love that area.

rayenperes22

@sandysimpson9999 Very funny. We are also Sandie and Mike. We are Canadians who live most òf the time in Mazatlan, Mexico. We also live a few months in Canada and the rest of the time try to travel. Hope your time in Galicia goes well. We love that area.

- @pigdenmike

Hello and welcome. Glad to have a chat with you here. Keep smiling.
Sonia Can
@HMS13
Hi Helen, I was wondering how it would work to purchase a holiday flat in Spain. What do u do with your place when you’re not there, do you keep the power on? Extra insurance? Tbh I have no idea how it works in Spain, any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sonia
rayenperes22
@HMS13
Hi Helen, I was wondering how it would work to purchase a holiday flat in Spain. What do u do with your place when you’re not there, do you keep the power on? Extra insurance? Tbh I have no idea how it works in Spain, any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sonia
- @Sonia Can

Do you recommend any kind of insurance?
JackieMoon
Hi My name is Jack and currently live in the USA. My family and I are looking to relocate to Spain. We are just at the start of our project and are hoping to be able to move in the next year or two, depending on the whole process. Looking forward to chatting with any and all who are making the move or have made the move.

Cheers,
Jack
22shore
Hello everyone,
I live in Spain in a village between Albacete and Tobarra. I love it here, but, the only problem is that they are not a bus, and I don't drive. I used to walk into town but getting older, well I just can't do it now, plus I have 4 dogs, so would not be able to carry 15KG of pet food. I am getting another dog at the weekend. I am a foster mum to a 16 year old X Yorkshire Terrier, I have adopted 2 dogs and the other dog I got from my friend. The dog I am getting at the weekend, not sure if I am fostering or adopting. I suppose I am lucky that I have a lot of land for them to play out.
I have a lot of hobbies, knitting,  dressmaking, and cross-stitch, I make these as pictures and also put them into a coaster, or a card. I like to do the 5D pictures also.
Take me to a book shop, I could spend nearly a full day there. I have a lot of books, I find reading so relaxing.
sandysimpson9999
HI there,Not sure which part of Spain you are living? We have just moved to Galicia almost 2 weeks so very new here...We are Sandy and Mike...retired and also dog lovers...we came from SW France but are both Brits in the short few days We have been here Mike has been ill ,so finding our way to get treatment has taken most of our time...we are still surrounded with boxes and stuff!

So far given our roller coaster arrival  we too are loving it here...we are very rural and we haven't met many locals but everyone has been very welcoming and friendly even with our lack of Spanish.
It must be very difficult for you not driving...and walking takes so long when you have to be around for your dogs.
We moved to France with our 8 Siberian Huskies...we used to do dry sledding racing in the UK...sadly we are now down to one 14 year old girl Taiga.....and we have 2 adopted Spanish Galgos which we have had four years now...They came from Galgos del Sol in Murcia...would be nice to correspond if you would like to.....
den&glynn
@Julien
Hi from den&glynn
we are Denise and Glynn living in the u/k ( north Manchester )  we are in the process of selling our property and would like to move to Murcia area of Spain. we are both 70 years old and any information on the process of doing this would be welcome.
Denise and Glynn
Guest5084
Hi everyone:)

I am Alesia, from Ukraine. Currently live in Peralta de la Sal in a refugees' center. Already have NIE, seeking for a job and accommodation in Spain.

I am an artisan/ craftsperson. In Ukraine I worked as a seamstress (on a plush toy factory), ceramic artist (underglaze painting and pottery), jewelry sculptor (wax modelling/carving). Currently learning digital skills (Adobe Illustrator and After Effects) and Spanish language. Before moving to Spain, was volunteering in eco/sustainability project in Hungary, where i worked as a seedling manager/hands-on gardener and video editor.

I absolutely love slow/countryside life and gardening, so my deep wish is finally to find some rural place for myself.

Hope everybody here find what you are seeking for.

And im so grateful to this platform for the opportunity to meet new people and to make new connections!

Have a good day and life
Love and peace 270c.svg
melanietrigo
Hello everyone!

Excited to join the forum.  I am starting my research early and just took the first step by contacting a law firm for guidance, I would like to obtain my Spanish Citizenship through Descent, a process I had started several years ago but never followed through.  My paternal grandfather was Spanish.  The plan is to retire and relocate to Spain with my partner/spouse in about 6 years (I'll be 59-60).   We are looking at either Sitges or Nerja. We have never been to either so in the next several years we will be scouting the coast to see what's a better fit for us.  Thank goodness for these expat forums, international house hunter episodes, and the internet.  Anyways, I have enjoyed reading your wonderful stories, appreciate all the insight.
elvireestarellesantibes

@melanietrigo

toniadams
Hi

I'm Toni,  52yrs Brit who moved to Barcelona on an NLV in December 2021.  I am very interested to see what happens with the Digital Nomad Visa as I have a consulting business in the UK.  Surviving my 1st spanish summer and generally loving life.

smile.png
guynoir
Hello, everyone!

I'm Mario (and no, I don't have a nickname, ha). I am currently living in Maryland, USA, fully employed as a technical translator for a software company. My languages are, by order of fluency, Spanish, English, and a survival-level Portuguese (I lived and studied in Portugal in 2016 and 2017).

As my employer fully supports global and remote employment, I've begun to consider Valencia, Spain, as a potential stepping stone to continue work and life, and eventually retire in a couple of decades. Now that international travel is opening up, I'm considering short trips to Spain to begin exploring. I'm happy to make new acquaintances and friends.

Mario
elvireestarellesantibes

@guynoir

elvireestarellesantibes
Bonjour  discuter autour d un verre mon compagnon et moi serions heureux de faire plus ample connaissances  ,ont habite à coter de Murcia 20km
Cordialement
Elvira
justgini2
@sandysimpson9999

Hi Sandy, welcome to Galicia. I´ve been here for six years now and love rural the life, I also have a husky X that I brought with me from the UK.
I hope you are settling in to your new life and have managed to sort out the medical difficulties. If you need and help or advice don´t hesitate to get in touch. Best wishes, Gina
sandysimpson9999
HI Gina...great to hear from you...so kind!
We have been here 4 weeks now...its been a bit of a roller coaster but We are settling really well now.
We are quite remote but everyone we have met locally has been very friendly and we love it here! We have to return to the UK for my son's wedding  but when we return we really need to start learning Spanish ...thats the most important tging for us atm. Did you already speak Spanish or have you learned since you came? We are near to Vila de Cruces....are you far away?...would be great to meet up!

Sandy
atahualpa54
@Julien
Hi, we are Diana and Stephan Karlsson.  We live in the US and would like to move to Spain to be geographically close to our families in Spain and Sweden (he is Swedish).  We are both retired.
We have been in Spain before and recently came back from a 6-week trip along the Mediterranean cost of Spain to narrow down the areas on interest (Benalmadena and Alicante so far).
We are still researching whether i should look into the NLV.  My husband has dual citizenship (Swedish and US) i only have the US citizenship.  I probably have to find a professional tax accountant in Spain to make sure i understand the rules and regulations.
We are going back this January to Benalmadena......
SimCityAT
Bonjour  discuter autour d un verre mon compagnon et moi serions heureux de faire plus ample connaissances  ,ont habite à coter de Murcia 20km
Cordialement
Elvira
- @elvireestarellesantibes

Can you please write in English, so fellow member are able to understand you, if you wish to write in French, please use the French part of the site.
Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Spain

• Working in Tenerife
    Working in Tenerife

Are you looking for a job in Tenerife? While there are certainly opportunities, especially for fluent Spanish ...

• Internet in Spain
    Internet in Spain

Whether for work or play or keeping in touch with friends and relatives abroad, getting online will most likely be ...

• Working in the Canary Islands
    Working in the Canary Islands

The Canary Islands is Spain's southernmost autonomous community, an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, more ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Seville
    Popular neighbourhoods in Seville

Once you have decided to make the beautiful city of Seville your home, the next order of business is finding a ...

• Accommodation in Madrid
    Accommodation in Madrid

Madrid, the bustling capital of Spain, is a popular destination for thousands of expatriates each year. With its ...

• Working in Valencia
    Working in Valencia

Valencia is the capital of the autonomous community of Valencia, an attractive port city with beautiful beaches, a ...

• Customs in Spain
    Customs in Spain

Before traveling to Spain for your new life abroad, you will need to be aware of the country's ...

• Developing your social circle in Seville
    Developing your social circle in Seville

For many people, building a new circle of friends is one of the most daunting aspects of being an expat. Missing ...

All of Spain's guide articles