Menu
Expat.com

The driving force of your expatriation in Mauritius

Last activity 07 March 2022 by fatoyinboola

Diksha

Hello everybody,

Moving abroad, to a destination such as Mauritius, is often the result of careful consideration. It is a major life decision and one that should not be taken lightly as the implications are so diverse. We would like to know what motivated you to choose Mauritius as your expatriation destination.

What was the main factor that led you to choose Mauritius as your new home?

What were the other criteria that made Mauritius your preferred destination?

Are you satisfied with your choice? Please, tell us why.

Did you have any other good surprises when you arrived or any disappointments?

Have your priorities changed in the current period? If so, did this play a role in your choice of destination or in the reconsideration of your whole expatriation project?

Thank you for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

Macmac0065

I had a major stroke in2014, which left me partly paralyzed & wheelchair bound.  That changed my life in such a big way that i can change it a lot more,  this time in the direction i chose.  Ive always been driven out of what i thought others ecpected from me & now i think i have deserved to follow my own desires which is relocating to Mauritius. In that way i see the stroke as a necessary wake up call,  or i would probably have thrown away the rest of my life on chasing  career & high position in work.  I aim to get a better life than before stroke & i honestly think ill reach that.  Furthermore,  being partly paralyzed i get a lot of muscle tension which gets worse from cold, so Sweden is not a good country for me to live in where my body functions somewhat properly three months a year.  I also dont find my home country being very good for other reasons.  A former great country has been completely destroyed by mad politicians the last decades,  so id leave Sweden for any civilized country for safety reasons.  Having been in Mauritius twice i think thats the best option for me.  Both that its the nicest country ive ever been in & also that i think its a rational choice for many reasons. If i get early retirenment due to disability ill relocate there in 2 3 years.  Worst case scenario is to wait 8 years until i reach retirenment age,  but i hope it will happen many years before that.  Sorry for long answer.  Many reasons as you can see.  I could keep going all day.
Best regards
/Marcus

tashwilmot

We were looking for a high school option for our daughter.  Living in northern Botswana ( where there was no suitable high school) we considered South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe and the UK.  Having spent time in Mauritius we chose this option over the others.

Working for a South African company remotely also allowed me to continue to do so while living on the island.  One can live on a South African income here and not the UK by comparison.

Covid in fact made it even easier for us to relocate here, with the introduction of the Premium visa. We now see how our first year goes and if it continues along the same vein, we will then investigate long term residence / property purchase here.

We are extremely happy with our life here so far.  Why?  The lack of crime, the very friendly and helpful locals, the laid back lifestyle, access to a tropical sea and an adventure every weekend, supermarkets with so much choice, shopping centers ( both limited coming from Botswana), happy child in her new school, wonderful new friends.

I did have to lower my expectations on arrival.  The property market is overpriced for the expat market, what you get for your buck in Africa you will not get here. The panic over Covid here is more pronounced than Botswana.  Sad to see just how damaged and depleted the sea life is here.  Horrified at the apparent lack of recycling.  Surprising that an island so small seems to care so little for its environment.  The lack of English radio, television and newspapers.  I would love to hear and know what the local island news is.

If you want to see climate change in action , one simply needs to walk along the beaches here.  Best not to buy that house on the beach!

That said we loving life here and long may it last.

shammikapoor

Diksha Jee

I reached Mauritius few months ago.

I got what I needed. I came here for pollution free air, clear sky, twinkling of stars, bright moon and nice people. I got everything. So, I am happy.

People are helpful and supportive. They talk with dignity & respect. It's a very nice thing.

On business front, I tried to explore some opportunities. I visited few Mauritius companies (small and medium). I tried to share new concepts of helping them grow their businesses. But I found some barrier is there. People try to avoid. People try to avert the discussion for next week meeting and next week, they are unavailable.

Instead of asking for any fee, I even suggested that let me help you. Once you make money, after that, you may give me my share. But so far, no success.

I was waiting for somebody to come up with real reasons. So that I may understand the situation. 

This is not a complaint. This is something which I am sharing with you Diksha Jee, because I want to understand the real reason. Maybe Diksha, you please help me understand it as what is issue or what am I doing wrong.

I do not know if I can share my phone number with Diksha or not.

Overall, I strongly believe Mauritius is a very nice place to be. I am very happy that I am here.

Regards

Shammi
Feb28, 2022

Guest72364927

moderated: please post in english

fatoyinboola

Glad you abit lucky  still enjoying it here but please take your time before making some decisions. That’s just my little  advice. I can’t talk too much.. B good

fatoyinboola

Hopefully you take this as it is. They deeply don’t like Indians.. I have many Indian friends here. I know what they go through and I also have few of them also and they let you know.. Even some of my Indian friends are back to India. Stay safe and be good out there..

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Education in Mauritius
    Education in Mauritius

The Mauritian school system is based on the Anglo-Saxon model and is divided, as is often the case elsewhere, into ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles