Menu
Expat.com

Exchanging uk driving licence for cypriot

Last activity 04 February 2022 by CanadianMum

Beanie

Looking at the list of countries who can exchange their driving licence for Cypriot I don’t see UK? Is that correct? We cannot exchange anymore.

SimCityAT

You can exchange your licence without taking a test. You must exchange your UK licence within 6 months of becoming a resident in Cyprus.

If you became resident in Cyprus before 31 December 2020, you must exchange your licence by 7 July 2021.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-c … -in-cyprus

Toon

You must change your licence to a Cyprus one for sure ... Its €40 and takes about 4-5weeks

The application form is easy to fill in once you see the English translation online but the form to use is the Greek one they won't accept the English one) but the process at the  DoT is awful.... I would strongly advise using a Cypriot assistant there are a few that people use if they want a hassle free changeover yes it costs but so worth it ...

Beanie

Yes Toon, but can we? Uk is not on the list for exchanging. That is my question.

Beanie

What I read is that you must wait six months before doing it as you need six months utility bills.

Beanie

Also UK is nit on the reciprocal list for exchange.

Toon

Yes you can and British people are doing it

Toon

If not sure then a call or email to the DoT would be in order

CanadianMum

You can apply after 6 months, not before.  Once you have an appointment, the process is quick and easy, at least for a Canadian license.

SimCityAT
Beanie wrote:

Yes Toon, but can we? Uk is not on the list for exchanging. That is my question.

Not sure by its not on the list. BY law it has to be exchanged within 6 months of being resident.

SimCityAT
CanadianMum wrote:

You can apply after 6 months, not before.  Once you have an appointment, the process is quick and easy, at least for a Canadian license.

NO!! You have to apply before, within 6 months. Before Brexit UK residents could drive using their UK license. Now after 6 months and driving using your UK license you could end up with a fine and will be in trouble with the police.

CanadianMum

Whatever. I was there 2 weeks ago and they were counting the days from the stamps in my passport to ensure that it was at least 6 months.

SimCityAT
CanadianMum wrote:

Whatever. I was there 2 weeks ago and they were counting the days from the stamps in my passport to ensure that it was at least 6 months.

I am standing the FACTS that apply to UK citizens with UK licenses. I don't care what the rules are for Canadians as this post has nothing to do with that nationality!

CanadianMum

If you or anyone else wants the facts, look it up. We are all just trying to help but it's best to go to the source. Anyway, the 6 months wasn't even her question.

http://www.mcw.gov.cy/mcw/RTD/rtd.nsf/A … enDocument

You may have to translate the page.

Phone general info +357 22 807 000

Good luck.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Cyprus

All of Cyprus's guide articles