Menu
Expat.com

Nosey Expats in my Area (bukidnon

Last activity 03 March 2022 by Big Mad Wolf

Bukidnonkane

Ok so some of you know I have lived here for almost 10 years now. and the other day out of nowhere I had a expat or foreigner at my house.  (tell me if you think I was in the right) This guy showed up knowing my first name (the locals told him my name)  I guess he was driving and asking people if they knew of any foreigners in the area.  Now in my area I am the only foreigner for at least 100 KM.  so when this guys asked the locals told him where I lived. He just shows up on my property opens my gate and just walk in like he owns the place. My family come running to my property.   I say my property but it is in both our names.  60% wife and 40% mine.  (wifes family doesn't speak any English just Ilocano and bisaya). At the moment I am not home. so I come home and this guys is sitting on my front porch with 15-20 of my family members (they told me he wouldn't leave).  I ask this guy who he is and why he is sitting on my front porch.  He says that he wanted to meet me and he heard that a foreigner lived here. My Brother in law tells me he tried to open my front door of my house when he first arrived. so that is why my family was there. After my brother tells me this (in Ilocano) I get angry and drag this guy off my property and threw him into his car.  When I say drag I mean drag.  I didnt hurt him.  Then he drives off almost hitting a kid. I called pnp and they asked for his information and the only thing I had was a lic plate number.

thedfords

Sounds like a presumptuous ass to me.  I don't know that I would drag him off the property but I would ask him what he thought he was doing trying to enter my house.  Then I would ask what his business is here and if he even screwed around a little bit I would remove him from my property.

clinty54

Wow. What a rude and intimidating fellow to your family. Thank goodness they were there.
Whatever nationality it's really unacceptable.
Once you get his details lodge him with the barangay captain as undesirable.
Take care.

coach53

Sure to much by HIM. 
Perhaps I wouldnt have been as NICE as you   smile.png   depending of how he reacted when you arrived.

A TINY understanding of him too, some foreigners want to find contact with foreigners and you told you are the only one there. BUT he should NOT have entered and of couse not stayed, when you werent there.

But think if it was your unknown relative, who came to tell you you have right to a huge inheritance...  lol.png

DaveGramps

Arrogant or just plain stupid … or both.

Sound like he must be a throwback to the past century with visions of colonial superiority and thought that you would welcome another foreigner with open arms.

No respect … and you did well to get rid of him quickly.

Gardo Fuentes

He probably had just seen the movie Eden Lake where Michael Fassbender just entered a house when no one was answering his call for anybody home.

Michael P. Carter

Obviously this guy has no understanding of respect for others. In the states he might have been shot, personally I would have done much the same as you, that is just protecting yourself. On the other hand no thing that anyone can do will make him more aware of his mistake, generally people like this believe that they are doing right and truly can not see what they did wrong, might seem untrue but it's not. Peace and love

Big Mad Wolf

The douche probably thinks he's God's gift to you, or something like that.

Enzyte Bob

There are other possibilities. . .He has mental problems. . . or he was under the influences of something.

Doug R64

You did the right thing.   I honestly don’t trust people until I get to know them, not at my house. Of course I have 2 large dogs, German shepherd and black lab, that someone would have get past before getting to my house.  The shepherd only is attached to my wife and I, anyone else he is very aggressive.

The wife’s family won’t just let anyone near, and actually in the area I live in, locals tell me when anybody asks where foreigners live. Since kidnapping has happened in the past near by, locals are cautious of any foreigner they don’t know.

There are foreigners here that are shady, but the vast majority are good people. I would immediately be suspicious of someone just showing up at my house without me here, that is if they could get past the German shepherd.

FilAmericanMom
Bukidnonkane wrote:

Ok so some of you know I have lived here for almost 10 years now. and the other day out of nowhere I had a expat or foreigner at my house.  (tell me if you think I was in the right) This guy showed up knowing my first name (the locals told him my name)  I guess he was driving and asking people if they knew of any foreigners in the area.  Now in my area I am the only foreigner for at least 100 KM.  so when this guys asked the locals told him where I lived. He just shows up on my property opens my gate and just walk in like he owns the place. My family come running to my property.   I say my property but it is in both our names.  60% wife and 40% mine.  (wifes family doesn't speak any English just Ilocano and bisaya). At the moment I am not home. so I come home and this guys is sitting on my front porch with 15-20 of my family members (they told me he wouldn't leave).  I ask this guy who he is and why he is sitting on my front porch.  He says that he wanted to meet me and he heard that a foreigner lived here. My Brother in law tells me he tried to open my front door of my house when he first arrived. so that is why my family was there. After my brother tells me this (in Ilocano) I get angry and drag this guy off my property and threw him into his car.  When I say drag I mean drag.  I didnt hurt him.  Then he drives off almost hitting a kid. I called pnp and they asked for his information and the only thing I had was a lic plate number.

. . . And that is why we always keep our gates locked, and have the phone number of the guards in our subdivision and barangay stored in all of our phones, as well as our neighbors' phone numbers.

It's a bit odd that you referred to him as "nosey." Gossipping neighbors are nosey.
That guy is not just nosey. At the very least, he's a creep. The way I see it is that committed a crime. He's a trespasser.

If something like that happened to us, my husband and I would not discriminate. Whether he's a foreigner or a local, we would immediately call the barangay or the police asap. We won't wait for an explanation from him, especially when he had forced himself into our property.  We'll use a pepper spray on him if we have to.

Be careful for the next few days. You never know what his true intentions were. He could have been surveying your property.

BTW, was anyone from your family or your neighbors able to take a picture or a video of him? If someone did, perhaps you can send that to the police. Maybe they can identify him.

Big Mad Wolf
Doug R64 wrote:

There are foreigners here that are shady, but the vast majority are good people. I would immediately be suspicious of someone just showing up at my house without me here, that is if they could get past the German shepherd.

There's probably a ton of expats who are escapees of murder,  embezzlement, larceny and rape.  Sadly they are good in hiding their pasts.   Someone said in another thread, the assumption in Philippines is all is scam, and that applies to all - locals and expats.

And it is best it applied to not just Philippines but everywhere.

coach53
Big Mad Wolf wrote:

There's probably a ton of expats who are escapees of murder,  embezzlement, larceny and rape.  Sadly they are good in hiding their pasts.   Someone said in another thread, the assumption in Philippines is all is scam, and that applies to all - locals and expats.

And it is best it applied to not just Philippines but everywhere.

Yes. I know of e g
/One of the most FBI wanted Americans, said his ex wife,  lives free in the Philippines, KNOWN by the local police - which he bribe to let him stay. 
/A Swedish drug criminal  (not high level) runned away from jail verfict in Sweden.
/An American pedophile got away from justice in USA but was so stupid so he showed proof he continued with such in the Philiippines.
/And there are scammers, who moved to the Philippines - and CONTINUE scamming - because less risk for scammers  to get in jail in the Philippines, where scammers can avoid jail if they get caught by PAY OFF them of the victims who afforded/bothered to sue them!!!    I know of a Norwegian, Englishman and one I dont know if Australian or American

Big Mad Wolf

OP said the brother-in-law saw the trespassing expad tried to open their front door.  Can you imagine if there were no one in the house and the door is not locked?  He would just be inside the house roaming.   Who knows what that lunatic would do?

BE careful of the likes of Wild Bill Cortez.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBnGiUDKRqo

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles