Menu
Expat.com

Raise of the sea level around Mauritius

Last activity 22 March 2022 by pixiewhyte

lokolo1

Thanks !
So my concern is about the raise of the sea level around Mauritius. I read that some barriers were already built in the south to protect roads and houses from flooding, and even that in 50 years from now there won’t be beaches anymore in Mauritius. So what do you observe there, and then what should I think about it ?
Thanks !

Anou86

Hello Lokolo1,

There are some huge concrete barriers that have been built in the South (Rivière des Galets, if i recall) there's no lagoon in some region (no coral reefs) and the sea has been slowly moving inwards.

The coral reefs acts as a barrier even though coastal erosion can be seen everywhere. Beaches are often secured with plants, rocks, sand bags etc, I don't know if it will work in the long run...

For people interested in buying pieds dans l'eau properties or in marinas, they should think twice....

Have a nice day,
Anoushka

lokolo1

Thanks for your reply. Concrete barriers were built in rivière des galets indeed, as well as in Saint Martin.
For sure I would avoid to live too close to the sea, but I am also concerned with the fact that if beaches disappear from Mauritius, this island would become of no interest for tourists, and real estate would lose its value.
On the other hand, this country seems economically healthy, so would have money to find and implement solutions. Or not…

Anou86

Mauritius depends "too much" on tourism...Covid-19 has shown us how and why. In the years to come, we need to diversify.

Concerning coastal erosion and "disappearance" of beaches due to rising level of the sea, surely authorities will come up with a solution. In some places, artificial beaches have already been created, crown lands are also an option (example Caudan/mer rouge, Mahebourg Waterfront), we will perhaps get to see more of these kinds of man made structures.

Anou86

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_reclamation

Cosmos Chile Team

Average rise of sea level in the Indian Ocean is 7 mm/year but if you add the perfect storm with a high tide and wind factor , the fact that the coral reef is already dying because of coral bleaching due to higher water / air temperatures and pollution , depending on the local topography, I suggest to be very cautious to buy ¨pieds dans l'eau¨as it might soon become ¨pieds sous l'eau!
Everyone here is selling their property on the sea....guess there must be a good reason.

Guest72364927
Cosmos Chile Team wrote:

Average rise of sea level in the Indian Ocean is 7 mm/year but if you add the perfect storm with a high tide and wind factor , the fact that the coral reef is already dying because of coral bleaching due to higher water / air temperatures and pollution , depending on the local topography, I suggest to be very cautious to buy ¨pieds dans l'eau¨as it might soon become ¨pieds sous l'eau!
Everyone here is selling their property on the sea....guess there must be a good reason.

You have hit the nail on the head. But as you know Mauritians in general will ignore as they do not understand the concept of generational wealth.

External
Cosmos Chile Team wrote:

Except for those so-called investors who buy an apt or penthouse in these buildings along the coast at MRU 50M a pop hoping to make money off tourism . They were renting  in USD or Euros per night during the holidays and now they want a long term rental ( mostly from expats) between MUR 150K to 300 K per month. Good. luck paying off those mortgages
otera2_1.jpg

pixiewhyte

Very interesting, thank you

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Education in Mauritius
    Education in Mauritius

The Mauritian school system is based on the Anglo-Saxon model and is divided, as is often the case elsewhere, into ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles