Foreign Births Register - Irish Grandparent's Marriage Certificate?

Hello and thank you for welcoming me to the forum!

I'm struggling to find more detailed info about my the documents I require for my Foreign Birth Registration related to my grandmother,  and I was wondering if it would be possible for anyone to help, it would be greatly appreciated.

For my grandmother, who is deceased, it says the following;

Documents relating to the grandparent born in Ireland (unless stated, originals must be submitted):

Original civil birth certificate of Irish born grandparent (showing parental details)
Original civil marriage certificate of Irish born grandparent (if applicable) OR other change of name document (if applicable)
Photocopy of current state-issued ID document (i.e. passport, drivers licence, national identity card) certified as a true copy of the original by a professional from the list of witnesses OR original civil death certificate (if applicable)

My question is regarding the marriage certificate, and if it 'is applicable'. My grandmother did change her name when she married, so does this mean i need the certificate? On her death certificate, it contains both her maiden name and her married name, so this name change is explicitly stated. Do I still need the marriage certificate? It's the only document I don't have, and unsure if I can even get it, because I don't know the location or date to apply for the certificate online. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Mick.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

As you have stated, I think you need the "Original civil marriage certificate of Irish born grandparent"; however, that is only my interpretation.  My advice is to ask your question to the Irish authorities who you are talking to, only their answer will be authoritative.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello,
I have the same question as Mick re lack of civil marriage certificate. My grandmother's death certificate also explicitly includes her maiden name. 
It is not even clear if my grandparents married, or if she simply began to use his name on arrival.
Has there been any further clarification or resolution in this sort of situation?
Thanks so much!
Trisha
Hi Mick,
I had a similar situation where I had all the required documents except for the form that showed my grandfather's name change. I suspect in the early 1900's, it didn't exist.  I gathered the documents and wrote a letter stating how my lineage flowed and what document was missing. I did have other supporting documents, like the ship manifest and census records with his new name. I did get my citizenship with no questions or additional documents.

I would suggest making the effort to get the marriage certificate. If you can't get it, explain this and submit.

Best of luck,
Mick

I am confused as to whether or not a marriage certificate is required even if the Irish-born grandparent did not ever change his name.  My confusion is due to the fact the language on the instructions page of the Dept. of Foreign Affairs website differs from the language on the foreign birth application itself.    The former states that what is required the "Original civil marriage certificate (if applicable) OR other change of name document (if applicable)"  The latter states that what is required is the "Original civil marriage certificate (if married) of Irish born grandparent [ ] Other original change of name document (if applicable)"  (emphasis added by me)

My grandfather was married but never changed his name.  Am I nevertheless required to provide his marriage certificate?  The wording of the application would suggest I do need to provide it while the wording on the instructions suggests I only need to provide it if there was a name change.  This type of language problem makes the application process even more confusing than it already is.

We applied in January 2021. Yesterday I got an email saying that we needed to submit my Grandmother's death certificate. Our government office has no record of her 1928 death. We did originally send a letter of explanation and a photo of her gravestone  and her husband's obituary which mentioned her death. But that is not good enough. They want her death certificate

I applied in

2018 till date I had not received any response. How many days will take to complete process?

Any advice gratefully received!   I am preparing to apply for the Irish Register of Foreign Births through my Grandmother who was born in Dublin.  I have birth, marriage and death certificates but unfortunately the name on her birth certificate is Eileen (she was always known as Eileen) but on her death and marriage certs her given name is Margaret.  I understand this was common for Irish people moving from Ireland to the UK (she was married and died in Scotland) but I am unsure if this will be sufficient information to prove my case?

Many thanks for any guidance which anyone can offer . . . 1f600.svg

Any advice gratefully received!  I am preparing to apply for the Irish Register of Foreign Births through my Grandmother who was born in Dublin. I have birth, marriage and death certificates but unfortunately the name on her birth certificate is Eileen (she was always known as Eileen) but on her death and marriage certs her given name is Margaret. I understand this was common for Irish people moving from Ireland to the UK (she was married and died in Scotland) but I am unsure if this will be sufficient information to prove my case?
Many thanks for any guidance which anyone can offer . . . 1f600.svg
-@sfriel

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I don't know a direct answer to your question.  Probably the best place to start is the Irish Government Citizenship Information website; this link will take you straight to the section that deals with Irish Citizenship by descent.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@BobbiM

Did you manage to get a resolution to this? We have the same situation; can't trace my partner's grandfather's death certificate but have his birth & marriage certificates. It's so frustrating.

Oki