Menu
Expat.com

Flight Restrictions At Airports Connecting To Vietnam

Last activity 03 August 2022 by pppham40

OceanBeach92107

Depending upon where an expat originates a flight to Vietnam, unless you have a Non-Stop ticket, your flight will be passing through a connecting airport.

In my particular case, some of the options are to connect through Korea, Japan, Singapore and Istanbul, if I don't purchase a non-stop Vietnam Airlines flight from the USA.

If anyone knows of any specific restrictions for transiting through an airport on the way to Vietnam, please share the info here.

It's been previously reported that some of these restrictions are imposed by the airlines and not the transit country.

For instance, Vietnam does not require a continuing ticket out of the Vietnam at the end of your approved length of stay, but there have been airlines in the past who have required a continuing flight or bus ticket or something showing that you have paid to exit Vietnam at the end of your approved length of stay.

Hoping to get a lot of information from various travelers around the world.

KateJamesVietnam

Buy a $5 dollar bus ticket on a platform like VeXeRe. Once you print the confirmation you can cancel very easily... or keep it depending on how precious you are about $5 dollars.

OceanBeach92107
KateJamesVietnam wrote:

Buy a $5 dollar bus ticket on a platform like VeXeRe. Once you print the confirmation you can cancel very easily... or keep it depending on how precious you are about $5 dollars.

Yeah that's common knowledge but we don't normally do that because Vietnam doesn't require that.

That's a better tip for Thailand.

Here specifically it would be good to know about what individual airlines are doing, not only about continuing tickets but also in case they have individual requirements regarding covid.

schleger

I have one travel restriction while transiting/connecting through an airport enroute to Vietnam:

No overnight connection allowed thru Canada. For example, my flight was YYZ (Toronto) to YVR (Vancouver) to ICN (Seoul) and on to HAN. I was scheduled to arrive in YVR at 23:00 and connect to ICN /HAN at 02:00 (overnight). Per the official government of Canada websites, no overnight connections such as the above are allowed. I contacted my carrier on this restriction and they apologized for the error in booking this illegal connection, and rebooked me. As with other procedures linked to the CoVid, you must be vigilant and not assume your airline and others are aware of the procedures that they themselves publish.

OceanBeach92107

The new ministry of health guidelines in Vietnam do not require a vaccine or proof of vaccine to enter the country.

I wonder if there are airlines or transit countries that do?

pogiwayne

When I came to Cambodia in February and transited through BKK medical insurance for Thailand was required. I think this might have changed.

OceanBeach92107
pogiwayne wrote:

When I came to Cambodia in February and transited through BKK medical insurance for Thailand was required. I think this might have changed.

Thanks PW!

That's exactly the kind of information I've been wondering about.

gobot

Instead of asking about all countries and airlines, maybe better to pick a route, then read the specifics?

We are flying in May, SGN-Tokyo HND-SFO, returning the same way. United ticketing on an ANA flight. 

Only $720 RT but long layover.  Next reasonable option on Kayak was $1200 RT.

The info on the website was very clear what they require, and of course we will double check nearer the departure date.

Warning about Tokyo: Most ANA flights from SGN arrive at HND or NRT, but the flight to SFO is at the OTHER airport.  Big problem because, besides the fact that you need to go to departures, collect your bags, ride bus, check your bags again at arrivals, + security gate, is that you are entering Japan so you have to deal with corona procedures.  Our flights are both in HND so we just go through transit.

pogiwayne

Instead of asking about all countries and airlines, maybe better to pick a route, then read the specifics?

We are flying in May, SGN-Tokyo HND-SFO, returning the same way. United ticketing on an ANA flight. 

Only $720 RT but ... - @gobot

Yes definitely must be observant when flying United routings. Some land at in airport and leave from another. 

There is a common misconception that these travel sites give lower prices. Always go to the main carrier website and the same ticket is normally cheaper. Airlines many years ago paid the travel sites for each ticket issued but no longer do that so the travel site marks up the tickets. 

honem
@KateJamesVietnam
Hi. Ive googled ViXeRe and can;t find any website.
Can you give me more info please.
Thank You
OceanBeach92107
@KateJamesVietnam
Hi. Ive googled ViXeRe and can;t find any website.
Can you give me more info please.
Thank You
- @honem
It's a typo.

Search for VeXeReDOTcom

gobot

Only $720 RT but ... - @gobot

Nevermind.
Cancellation by United, the leg from SF -> Tokyo, because ANA cancelled it.  Not so surprised since Japan continues to keep her borders closed.

I dumped the complete United/ANA itinerary, got 100% refund after talking to a United human (because the chatbot wanted to keep some $).

Booked the Saigon-SFO nonstop on Vietnam Airlines. $1050 round trip is doable and only 14.5 hours in the air going East, 16 coming back, night flights.  (Ticket prices are always changing, I saw $1300, $1600. )

rkane
Help Please!!!!!!! Can I get a tourist visa an come to Vietnam??? I haven't traveled since March 2020.Vietnam is one of my favorite spots,6 times in the last 10 years.What do I need to visit .I have been vaxed and boostered. Please advise   Ray
Aidan in HCMC
Help Please!!!!!!! Can I get a tourist visa an come to Vietnam??? I haven't traveled since March 2020.Vietnam is one of my favorite spots,6 times in the last 10 years.What do I need to visit .I have been vaxed and boostered. Please advise   Ray
- @rkane

Aidan in HCMC
@rkane
Apply for your evisa here ("For Foreigners")https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/g … g-chu-ttdt

Check the status of your evisa application herehttps://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/tra-cuu-thi-thuc

Prior to departure, complete your health declaration, here (middle tab, "Entry Declaration")https://tokhaiyte.vn/

And here is the official translated release for entry requirements (the original VN is immediately above that post)https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =4#5377446
Aidan in HCMC
And here is the official translated release for entry requirements (the original VN is immediately above that post)https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =4#5377446
OceanBeach92107
- @rkane
https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt

No vaccination required.

No visa agents doing Visa On Arrival.

That's your only option right now.
rkane

@OceanBeach92107  TY    I guess I will just go to Cambodia or Thailand.

OceanBeach92107

@OceanBeach92107  TY    I guess I will just go to Cambodia or Thailand.

- @rkane
Keep coming back...
pppham40
I left VN in Jun 2022 with 2 yrs TRC.  Currently in-bound to Nội Bài this weekend... what is the entry procedure with TRC.  Thanks in advance.
bulcoskun

@OceanBeach92107 i am under the impression that the individual countries , in your case Vietnam would be the one to reinforce their immigration policies to the airlines. Making the airline "responsible" for deportation costs if the individual is not able to pay, hence airlines being vigorous for checking the basics like visa, expiry date etc. In short if Vietnam is OK they'll be OK. To make sure and double sure  your best bet is to call the airlines or tweet them

OceanBeach92107
Welcome to the Vietnam forum Bulcoskun.

Thanks, but you are answering a question I didn't ask.

Cheers!

O.B.
Vietnam advisor
Expat.com team
OceanBeach92107
I left VN in Jun 2022 with 2 yrs TRC.  Currently in-bound to Nội Bài this weekend... what is the entry procedure with TRC.  Thanks in advance.
- @pppham40
Present your passport and TRC to the immigration officer.
pppham40
Thanks OB92107.  Back in 1/2022 when I returned to VN, I went straight to border/customer window with my passport and TRC.... they sent me back to the immigration office to get the approval form (stamped) thus I have to get back in-line....time!  I know it was pre-March policy....Just wanted to avoid the delay.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

All of Vietnam's guide articles