How Many Bank Cards Should an Expat Have on Hand?

How many debit or credit cards should an Expat have?

For me, the number is three -- although I almost never carry more than two at a time unless it's a travel day.

At the moment, two of my cards are either not operative or are being rendered inoperative:

1.  Banco Guayaquil canceled my current card this week, saying someone stole my 'datos'.  I think their determination of a 'robo' is accurate, as someone charged my card about $30 for bogus Rappi services in multiple transactions during a 25-minute interval on Wednesday night.  (Rappi is a popular South American delivery service that originated in Colombia.)

2.  Several weeks ago, Wells Fargo Bank informed me they will be closing my accounts because I don't have a USA address.  They want me to close the accounts on my own within 90 days or they will shut them down soon after.

---

Banco Guayaquil is doing a good job of correcting the 'robo' situation.  They are processing a new debit card for me that should be ready next Monday.  My account is being credited the $32 of bogus charges.

---

So next week, I will be back to having three debit cards.  Since the Wells Fargo card is on borrowed time, I felt I had to come up with a way to replace it.  It occurred to me that I have a card that could theoretically be used, from Cooperativa Policía Nacional (CPN).  That's a financial institution which required me to fund an opening balance of under $50.  CPN doesn't accept overseas wires from the U.S., so I am in the process of moving a chunk of cash from the Wells Fargo account to Banco Guayaquil and eventually doing a Quito transfer from Banco to CPN.  That will produce enough funds in the CPN account to start using the Cooperativa debit card which I was issued a few months ago when I opened my account with CPN.

cccmedia in Quito
In the name of preventing financial crimes, it seems that banking for US citizens living abroad it getting less free and flexible.

In any case i have multiple cards. One always stays at home in a hiding place as a worst case scenario backup. The other two come with me as needed. I have US accounts and Ecuador accounts.
One of the things I found when I first came to live in Ecuador over 8 years ago, is if you happen to be older and I now no longer remember whether it's 65 or only 60 years, banks in Ecuador will not issue you credit cards like Visa or MasterCard. This means if you like to travel you do have a card problem. I have managed to keep my Canadian cards by using my accountant in Canada as representative of my address in Canada. So far this has not created any issues. Secondly I do have a MagicJack with a Canadian phone number and that allows me to communicate with my Banks as if I were in Canada. I had no idea this problem existed before I actually moved here and really wish people had told me. Getting debit cards in Ecuador is not difficult, but getting a credit card as an older person extremely difficult.
As I know it is not a question of building credit. My understanding is that is the national law that governs Banks prevents Banks from issuing credit cards for older clients. One can simply go into a bank and inquire if you can create a new credit card from that bank.  You will know quickly.   That is why I suggest you ensure you have two to three different credit cards in your name, before you move permanently to Ecuador.   Debit cards are easy.
Debit cards or credit cards?

I personally favor debit cards.  I stopped using credit cards in 2006.

After over-extending my credit, I was advised by my family's attorney to cut up my credit cards and use debit cards only .. going forward.  I adopted that plan and don't regret it.

The only time I have had a problem was in trying to rent a car at a small airport in Argentina.  They refused to rent the car without my presenting a credit card.

Some people may think that a credit-card company will assist you better than a debit-card issuer if problems arise, such as a digital error or identity-theft.

In my experience, my debit card issuers in the U.S. and Ecuador have done an excellent job of protecting me when problems have arisen in the past 16 years.

Just this month, Banco Guayaquil issued me a replacement debit card.  The original debit card had to be invalidated after some party obtained my 'datos' and started making small charges against my account.  The money has been restored to the account and the replacement card was processed in just a few days.

cccmedia in Quito
You need a Charles Schwab bank account most banks here charge a fee, plus many American banks charge for debits from a foreign bank, so you are double charged for removing money.  Schwab returns your fees and doesn't charge you any from international locations.   We have a debit card from the largest coop bank here that has the highest interest on CD's and we have never had a problem.  We use JEP. 
Co-op CD interest rates.

The interest rate paid to CPN coop's CD holders rivals JEPS .. and may even be half a point higher.  Both coops offer annual interest rates in the 8.5 to 9.5 percent range.

I have an account with CPN, which stands for Cooperativa Policía Nacional.

I have found it difficult to transfer larger amounts from my USA banks to CPN .. and this may apply to JEP as well.  I have had to transfer indirectly -- USA bank to Banco Guayaquil in Quito and then a Quito transfer between Banco and CPN.  Also, there has been a $5,000 limit on individual transfers.

cccmedia in Quito

I read the following on Cota FB. Some years back, it was almost unfathomable to me the idea of not having a u.s. bank account. But, in recent years I have seen some threads on GP of people depositing their SS checks in their Ecuador account. Then there is a guy in Quito who had to close his account because his bank wouldn't allow a foreign address anymore.  Personally, I have had some problems using my U.S Global Mail box with some accounts because it is a "commercial address" rather than a "residential address".

Is there anyone in the cotacachi community that has access to a US bank account that incorporates Venmo or Zelle or any of the other money transfer tools. My daughter wants to wire money to us and we no longer have a US bank account.

We sent money to our lawyer from US to Ecuador last week by western union.. very easy and he picked it up the next day

@cccmedia … how do you work around travel, i.e. hotels and flights without a credit card?

To respond to the OP's initial question,

I have two Ecuadorian bank debit cards (JEP and Banco Pichincha). Two debit cards from the U.S. (Ally Bank and Capital One). Finally, I have two Bank of America visa credit cards.  One is a Travel Rewards card which doesn't charge me for foreign transaction fee.  The other is a domestic cash rewards card. I had thought of canceling one of my Bofa credit cards and combining the credit availability.  However, I decided to keep both, partially in case of losing one and partially because supposedly cancelling credit cards hurts your credit score.

My U.S. banks have as my primary address a U.S. Global mailbox based out of Texas.  I am not sure that I could have opened those accounts with this mailbox as I probably could 10 years ago. Paypal raised a stink about 5 years ago wanting a residential address, but they backed down.

P.S. As for Fintech accounts, I have XOOM, Remitly and Western Union.  I only used the Western Union once to send myself $50 as a test.  The disadvantage with Western Union was I had to pick up the cash, instead of depositing it in my Pichincha Account.  Money Gram will deposit to your Ecuadorian bank account; the only kicker with them, however, is they want your first transfer to be initiated from the U.S., and no, a VPN didn't work as a workaround.

@N.Barley … Similar situation for me. I was trying to cut the cord and get rid of my Canadian cell phone and Blue Cross extended health care coverage from Canada, and switch everything over to Ecuador. Just wanted to maintain my free Canadian / provincial health care (GO CANADA 🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦) for when I (briefly) return to my hometown, maintain property in Canada, and Canadian residency for retirement benefit and tax reasons… However…

I need to maintain two Canadian bank accounts (one for annuity income, and one for general savings and international transfers; keep them separate people!) and a cell phone plan separate from my Ecuadorean Claro account; Both tied to a Canadian address, in order to receive security verification texts for use of credit cards (sounds impossible / impractical to get a credit card in Ecuador), receive annuity income and eventually retirement benefit deposits and transfers, Revenue Canada tax security verification texts for online transactions and tax document submissions and refunds… blah blah blah

Thank goodness the cost of living is so relatively affordable in Ecuador… and you wouldn't believe how long I couldn't stop smiling after going to the dentist here and paying $35 for an extensive cleaning after not having seen Dentist for over five (eight?) years!! (I know horrifying… But shite happens even pre-Pandemic lol… 😝🤓👹)

@rkg695

I have managed to do without a U.S. cell plan, although I need two calling apps (Google Voice and Groove IP), since google voice doesn't work with one of my banks.  I wish more financial institutions gave the option of using an authenticator app and/or Yubico security key for 2FA.

I use Xoom for small international bank transfers. I use Western Union for  international cash transfers. For large international bank transfers,  wire transfer done in person during regular banking hours. For purely digital where I don't expect to use the money except for digital things, PayPal.

I have bank accounts in the US and Ecuador.

I have heard of people who have used the services of a lawyer or CPA to help establish a permanent address and trust in a low or no tax state in the US.

I wish more financial institutions gave the option of using an authenticator app and/or Yubico security key for 2FA.

Ironically, the day after saying that, my Bahamas based broker, Trade-Zero, which has a whopping $500 doing nothing, sent an email message telling me MFA is now available. I guess the acronym MFA is replacing 2FA since there are multiple ways to get your security code. By the way, I opened the Trade Zero account as a resident of Ecuador after being rejected by Interactive Brokers, because I effectively lied about being a resident of the U.S. 

Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is now available for any of your trading platforms.
MFA adds an extra layer of protection to your account, in case your password is stolen, by requiring a verification code to be used with your password to log in. To help prevent unauthorized access to your trading account, we strongly recommend that you activate MFA.