Menu
Expat.com

Commuting in Mauritius

Last activity 10 June 2022 by andrew9799

Guest8045
Commuting without a car in mauritius is hard af. Literally want to explore the nightlife bt the local transport stops from 6pm, taxis are freaking expensive 😭. Not to forget, outing alone can be boring. Multiple dilemma!
Anou86
Hi TeeZee,

Welcome on board!

Yes, indeed without a car, it can be complicated but there are some options. In any case, nightclubs are not allowed to operate for the moment due to Covid restrictions. And even if you had a car, do not drink and drive.

There are places though where you can enjoy a meal, drinks and live music.

Where do you live ? You might perhaps ask a friend who lives nearby to accommodate you for the night...
For outings, join one of the organisers to begin with, you won't be alone, they are group outings.

Regards,
Anoushka
shen wei

@Yaya G LOL, why your comments always so straight to the point?

Anou86
.The struggle for expats to have a social life here is real. Leaving friends, family, the comfort of their home for Mauritius where people tend to stay among themselves is a reality. Taxis are expensive, prices for accommodation, commodities etc have gone up. Having worked with expats for many years, I find foreigners specially expat students and young professionals being the most lonely  and struggling with social life here...
Seven-Oh
@Anou86

Hi Anoushka,

Could you tell me whether I can buy a used car as a holder of a premium visa? Where can I get official information on the topic?

Thanks
andrew9799
I'm not in Mauritius yet, but I read that there is a Uber type app called Yugo that can be used to get around - is that not the case?
Anou86
@Anou86

Hi Anoushka,

Could you tell me whether I can buy a used car as a holder of a premium visa? Where can I get official information on the topic?

Thanks
- @Seven-Oh

Yes, I can confirm that you can buy a car as a holder of premium visa. Source EDB. Call on 203 3800

All the best,
Anoushka
Anou86
I'm not in Mauritius yet, but I read that there is a Uber type app called Yugo that can be used to get around - is that not the case?
- @andrew9799

There are several websites/apps whereby you can reserve a taxi, Yugo is one of them (taxiservicemauritius, motaxi etc). You can also negotiate directly with registered taxi once you get some contacts. It might be cheaper to negotiate directly with a taxi driver. In any case taxi is not at all a problem, you will easily find contacts from your hotel, villa, restaurants etc. and of course people you will meet
Guest8045
Having  traveled on most continents I found Taxis on the Island the most expensive taxi costs anywhere in the world.

Unfortunately the taxi drives see the tourists as mega rich cash cows ... ready to be exploited.
Eden66
@Sept-Oh bonjour

J ai acheté une voiture en ayant un visa prenium donc pas de problème
andrew9799
Hi Niel, on the Yugo website it says that the prices are set before booking, in which case the taxi driver can only charge that set price. Or are you saying that prices on apps such as Yugo, (and taxiservicemauritius, motaxi etc,  thanks Anou) are already set very high?
andrew9799
This is from the Yugo website:

"Your ride includes:

The minimum Rs 150 base fare + the price of the travelled distance, calculated in Kms;
    Waiting charges if applicable;
    Supplement for night charges and public holidays, as and when.

Please note that all charges, if applicable, will be automatically calculated through the App. Unless you wish to tip your driver, no additional charges shall apply."

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Education in Mauritius
    Education in Mauritius

The Mauritian school system is based on the Anglo-Saxon model and is divided, as is often the case elsewhere, into ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles