The Real Differences Between Hanoi and HCMC

Although I have already decided to stay in HCMC this fall, are there any significant downsides when compared to Hanoi.

I guess what I'm asking is, which location would be best for a mid-50s guy that just wants to take in some Vietnamese culture while avoiding Canada's snow?

Do any of you have a preference?

Best regards,

Roger
Nobody likes Hanoi because of the cold weather and the pollution.
Although I have already decided to stay in HCMC this fall, are there any significant downsides when compared to Hanoi.

I guess what I'm asking is, which location would be best for a mid-50s guy that just wants to take in some Vietnamese culture while avoiding Canada's snow?

Best regards,

Roger
- @RTLisSB
My personal preference would be Hà Nội, if the only other choice were HCMC.

One key reason: ease of access to some of the most interesting areas in Việt Nam:

Also, not too far from Sa Pa, Lạng Sơn, Hà Giang and other interesting destinations.

The city itself (and the nearby "suburbs") is overflowing with opportunities to experience Vietnamese culture firsthand, not the least of which is the Vietnam Museum of Ethnology

My #1 reason for choosing Hà Nội is admittedly subjective:

While exploring music business opportunities in Việt Nam, I connected with many creative artists in both cities.

It is my general impression that the average artist (music, painting, dance, etc) in Hà Nội is largely driven by a need to be creative, while the average artist I crossed paths with in HCMC is more driven by a desire for commercial success.

However, summer climate in Hà Nội is quite simply brutal.

As long as you can accomplish much before 10 AM and after 4 PM, and spend the heat of the day inside, working, napping or getting a discount-priced massage, then it can actually be quite pleasant.

Do as many Vietnamese do and rise at 4 AM, walking around one of the many lakes in the city and get your grocery shopping done early, enjoying breakfast from one of the countless street food vendors who magically appear with short, small plastic stools on a sidewalk area that was totally deserted when you went to sleep the night before.

Coffee (cà phê) AFTER breakfast is the way most Vietnamese do it, with green tea (sometimes iced: trà đá) usually served as a complimentary beverage with the purchase of coffee.

You can experience all of that in HCMC as well.

I'm just saying, that's how you survive summers in Hà Nội.

HCMC (and surrounding areas) is certainly not devoid of authentic Vietnamese cultural experiences and opportunities to explore nearby.

As I've mentioned already in another thread, nearby Vũng Tàu is a great seaside getaway, and many expats have decided to live there to escape HCMC while still being about 2 hours away from Tân Sơn Nhất international airport (SGN).

And if, as the previous poster mentioned, the colder (not snowy or freezing) winter temps in Hà Nội discourage you, HCMC and the Mekong (Mê Kông) river delta in winter might just be just what you need to feel fully free from Canadian winters.

But you are truly comparing extremes, and I would encourage you to visit Huế, Đà Nẵng, Hội An, Tâm Kỳ, Qui Nhơn, Phú Yên province (especially Tuy Hòa), Nha Trang, Phan Thiết and the central highlands (Buôn Ma Thuột, Đà Lạt and other cities) before deciding where you want to create a home base.

OR, totally minimize your life's possessions to fit into one or (at the most) two suitcases and live mostly in affordable hotels and Airbnb situations.

That way you are never held back from exploring because you are paying for a lease on an apartment.

Just my opinions, since you asked...

1f601.svg

@Erikji

Cold weather? I'm from Canada! LOL

But seriously, thanks. I think if I was to be there in the summer, HCMC might be too hot. Right now, I'll only be in HCMC from Nov to Dec. Then, next year, Nov to April, so it might not be too bad.

Best regards,

Roger
@OceanBeach92107

Fantastic info, as always!

I might be very wrong, but isn't Ha Noi a little cooler than HCMC in the summer, or are they both so hot it doesn't matter?

I'm not sure how much of the country I'll be able to see in the two months I'm there, but I will try to get up North and to the coast.

Best regards,

Roger
Ha Noi is more traditional, Saigon more brash and lively. People in Saigon seem to be more friendly, Hanoians not so much. Ha Noi can be rather cold, especially if you are going to use a motorbike to get around.

If you are wanting to see the more spectacular scenery and history, then Ha Noi is where you need to be.
@OceanBeach92107

I might be very wrong, but isn't Ha Noi a little cooler than HCMC in the summer, or are they both so hot it doesn't matter?

I'm not sure how much of the country I'll be able to see in the two months I'm there, but I will try to get up North and to the coast.

Best regards,

Roger
- @RTLisSB

Ha Noi is extremely humid in summer.
@OceanBeach92107

Best regards,

Roger
- @RTLisSB

Ha Noi is extremely humid in summer.
- @colinoscapee
Right you are, Colin.

The other factor apparently contributing to the summer sauna and heavy air pollution in Hà Nội is the city sitting in the lower Red River basin.

Just as in the Los Angeles, California, USA basin, it provides a place for smog to settle and create prime conditions for air inversion layers to form.

That, mixed with the high humidity, makes for an especially insufferable environment.

HCMC can get pretty nasty in the summertime too (OP) but not as brutal as Hà Nội.

Hi Roger! I'm also a Canadian ex-pat, and have lived in both Saigon/Ho Chi Minh (~3 years), and Hanoi (~2.5 years). I now live in Phu Quoc.
When people tell you that it gets cold in Hanoi, believe them. I have seen frost in the outer regions of Hanoi (Hanoi-Thai Nguyen bridge crossing on Q3). I'm sure you'll agree that in Canada, though it can get extremely cold, we are never really cold ourselves. Exceptions are having to work outside, and/or when something goes wrong(!). Think about it. From our very well insulated homes, to our toasty cars, to our (hopefully) comfortable places of employment.
You will not have this in Hanoi, or any northern VN regions. When it is 10C outside (or colder), it will also be 10C at your computer desk, your couch, bed etc etc.
And summers in Hanoi can be brutally hot. Though quite north of Saigon, Hanoi with its inland/continental climate swelters in the summer (37-8C not rare). Conversely, Saigon, being a coastal city, enjoys the benefit of the Pacific Ocean regulating its temps. As an analogy, compare the temps of Vancouver (or even Nova Scotia/Newfoundland) with that of Calgary(!), or Ottawa. Incidentally, prior to the break-up of the USSR, I'm sure you know Ottawa was the coldest capital city in the world, -35C not being unusual.

Though you will never have to deal with the cold in Saigon, you will soon discover it too has its seasonal disadvantage. FLOODING. I had a house in a hem just off the major road named Huỳnh Tấn Phát. In the rainy season the locals would describe Huỳnh Tấn Phát as Saigon's second largest river :) Thigh deep in places. Many, many stalled scooters/motorbikes flooded with water, being pushed away by the owners. Fortunately for me, my bike has very high air intake and exhaust ports, perfect for wet environments (Honda XR-150L). Feet up on the front fender, and into the deep!
When I first arrived in 2017, I was surprised that, even though Saigon is in the northern hemisphere, that its winters seemed warmer than its summers. I guess the daily rains of the summer season drop the temp, even if for only a couple of hours a day, while winters in Saigon are bone dry, and dusty.

In short, you will definitely find Hanoi hotter in the summer (and colder in the winter), than Saigon.

@colinoscapee
Great, thanks!

I will certainly have to get up there this fall and see for myself!

Cheers,

Roger
@Aidan in HCMC
Wow, that's some great information, Aidan.

Can you tell me when the flooding you spoke of normally occurs?

Thanks,

Roger
@Erikji

I just had it explained to me why Hanoi would seem cold.

Again, thanks for the info.

Roger
@OceanBeach92107
Makes sense. Even in Ottawa, which is considered a very clean city,  you can see a slight haze over the city on the worst days in the summer. Then again, it also suffers from high humidity and sits in a valley.

R

Best regards,

Roger
- @RTLisSB
As OceanBeach mentions in post #3, you shouldn't limit yourself to just the two major cities.  You should note that VN is very densely populated. There are plenty of videos on the internet showing the traffic. Cities throughout the country are being overdeveloped.

So, have a look at your other options along the coast, in the mountains or in the Mekong delta.

Check this link for info about infrastructure plans and projects in Vietnam:

https://futuresoutheastasia.com/vietnam/

Can you tell me when the flooding you spoke of normally occurs?

Thanks,

Roger
- @RTLisSB

Generally, the rainy season in the South lasts from the start of May to the end of November. It's not continuous (the water usually recedes within hours/overnight) but heavy flooding can occur any time in this period.

@RTLisSB

Oops! Forgot to add that. Monsoon season for Saigon (and the rest of southern VN)
starts just abooouuuuttt...NOW! :)

It'll end late Oct/early Nov, at which point you might not see any rain again until May, 2023.

The flooding is phenomenal. You'll see. You'll also quickly learn to follow the pack (everybody seems to stop, en masse, to don their rain coats/ponchos) and you'll learn how to navigate some of the recently form "ponds".

It's really not too bad, actually, once you get used to it. And the rains aren't like what we might experience in B.C. or Nfld, where I've seen 30 day non-stop rain in both provinces. Usually there will be 2 - 4 hours of heavy rain each day at midday, and then scattered showers until the next day. Caveat: usually
@RTLisSB

Oops! Forgot to add that. Monsoon season for Saigon (and the rest of southern VN)
starts just abooouuuuttt...NOW! smile.png

It'll end late Oct/early Nov, at which point you might not see any rain again until May, 2023.

The flooding is phenomenal. You'll see. You'll also quickly learn to follow the pack (everybody seems to stop, en masse, to don their rain coats/ponchos) and you'll learn how to navigate some of the recently form "ponds".

It's really not too bad, actually, once you get used to it. And the rains aren't like what we might experience in B.C. or Nfld, where I've seen 30 day non-stop rain in both provinces. Usually there will be 2 - 4 hours of heavy rain each day at midday, and then scattered showers until the next day. Caveat: usually
- @Aidan in HCMC

yeah we get a bit of rain now and then :-

https://i.postimg.cc/PJMmBXK9/download.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/qBcXtw0w/download-1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/FR3bVgS9/download-2.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/SR46T2Lc/download-3.jpg

Best regards,

Roger
- @RTLisSB
As OceanBeach mentions in post #3, you shouldn't limit yourself to just the two major cities.  You should note that VN is very densely populated. There are plenty of videos on the internet showing the traffic. Cities throughout the country are being overdeveloped.

So, have a look at your other options along the coast, in the mountains or in the Mekong delta.

Check this link for info about infrastructure plans and projects in Vietnam:

https://futuresoutheastasia.com/vietnam/
- @johnross23

Yeah gets a bit busy in bigger cities around holiday times:-

https://i.postimg.cc/0Nb1jrwG/download-4.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/c172sfzy/download.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/nzB59mcm/download-1.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/FzxBDQSs/download-2.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Y07P6Shs/download-3.jpg

Like some have mentioned - the road less travelled is maybe the better way to go around holidays and weekend.

@johnross23

Thanks, I will!

R
@johnross23

Cheers!
@Aidan in HCMC

Should be interesting! LOL

Cheers!
@Andybris2020

Wow! Yes, I thinking laying low at certain times will be a must!

Thanks!

R

Hi I think live in Hanoi better