Best method of getting your money back home?

For those expats who have lived in China a while and accumulated savings in a Chinese bank account: You eventually return to your home country but how to take that large sum of money with you in the destination currency?

Typical money transfers are usually not an option because of the fees involved and limits in how much you can transfer, its just not practical.

I'm looking for some out of the box thinking here to find a cheaper solution.  I've heard of people using Bitcoin or gold as an option because of the earnings potential to offset costs involved.  And these methods hold intrinsic value independently of conventional currencies.

What are some other methods (preferably legal ones) available?
you can use your union pay bank card to make ATM withdraws pretty much anywhere in the world, there is a limit of 10K RMB per day and 100K RMB per year..... DO NOT go over 100K a year or you'll be banned from ATM withdraws for 2 years.   You can't fool the system with multiple bank cards as they will add up all your foreign ATM withdraws.   Also, you can consider making purchases with your Union Pay debit cards outside of China, there are a lot of advantages with it; favorable exchange rates, no bank fee and there is no limit on the purchase amount.

@Digitae0nJ Open a Chinese PayPal account and link it to your Chinese bank account. Pay yourself i.e. pay your domestic PayPal account, then you can instantly transfer the money from your domestic PayPal account into your domestic bank account. The entire process takes less than 5 minutes, and it's legal. PayPal take about 5% commission. Only illegals use BitCoin or money mules.

I've always got a Chinese national to exchange my RMB into £ sterling as my Bank of China account can hold 6 different currencies £ sterling  being one of them.  Once it is sterling I can transfer it out of the country to UK using the SWIFT bank to bank transfer.  The costs in the past were always fixed not a percentage so the more I did the better it was.  I haven't done this for 3 years now so things might have changed.  I think the maximum per calendar year was the equivalent if 50,000$ US.  I recollect my cost was 200 rmb.

@Digitae0nJ

Why take your money out of china? Leave it in a Chinese bank and earn 3-5% tax free interest …you cannot get any interest even close to 3-5% anywhere else outside of china. 

cheers

lmf

14 years working in Shanghai….

@twlee5

union pay there is a bank fee…

@Lmflmf1 It depends whether you have bills back home to be paid.

@acoop

I was replying for savings accounts and the benefits of leaving money in china for this purpose…