Where to live in Portugal with dogs and for horserding

Hi all,

I am a Swede (53 years) living in Barcelona with my 12 years old daughter and 2  dogs. We want to leave Spain mainly due to the hot climate in summer, the high houseprices and overcrowded areas. We are looking for a cheaper place to live in Portugal that is dogfriendly and near to horseriding places and water (if dreaming). We love being outside and doing escapes to the nature, something that is difficult here in Barcelona, due to the traffic jam and parking problems once you arrive at the destination.

I am working in the travel industry and will transfer my company from Spain to Portugal if possible.

Which place in Portugal would you recomend?

Thank you very much for all advice.

Greetings from Spain

Not sure if you have not noticed, but Europe as a whole is getting hotter.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/tr … e/portugal

Hi @SammetVall, Welcome.

I suggest the north of Portugal, Minho region, such as the cities of Braga, Ponte de Lima, Barcelos, Arcos de Valdevez, Guimarães, Viana do Castelo, .... There's a natural park nearby (Parque do Gerês).

The nearby airport (Porto) is just about 60 km away. It's green, has lots of water and you can go horse riding in the countryside... Come and visit it, it'll be worth it.

https://www.portugalvisitor.com/portuga … ides/minho

https://www.portugal4fun.com/atividades … -no-geres/

Regards

If it makes sense to move from Spain to the north of Portugal, don't forget Galicia.  One hears good things, and it seems like it could be done without a lot of the bureaucratic nuisance required for immigration to Portugal.

I know they have horses, and dogs.  I hope they're kinder to their dogs than the Portuguese, or an awful lot of the Portuguese anyway.

I hope they're kinder to their dogs than the Portuguese, or an awful lot of the Portuguese anyway.
-@donn25

Personal experiences don't mean to be generalised here, ok?

There are people like that in every country, including yours!

One hears good things, and it seems like it could be done without a lot of the bureaucratic nuisance required for immigration to Portugal.
-@donn25

They are originally from Sweden so they are EU citizens which makes it a lot easier to move from one EU country to the next.

They are originally from Sweden so they are EU citizens which makes it a lot easier to from one EU country to the next.
-@SimCityAT

Of course.

Some people don't know what they're writing about here....

If it makes sense to move from Spain to the north of Portugal, don't forget Galicia. One hears good things, and it seems like it could be done without a lot of the bureaucratic nuisance required for immigration to Portugal.
I know they have horses, and dogs. I hope they're kinder to their dogs than the Portuguese, or an awful lot of the Portuguese anyway.
-@donn25

I would agree to that. We have been on holiday in Galicia several times and we liked it very much. The coast is more inviting to water sports than most of the Portuguese Atlantic Coast. Having dogs is more problematic on the Iberian Peninsula than e.g. in Central Europe.

However, I guess there will be reasons other than the weather for selecting Portugal over Spain.

@JohnnyPT Moving from one country to the other is always more complicated than moving within a country, even within the EU. Just think about changes in language and registration with health and other social services and well as tax authorities. So if wetaher was the only concern then moving within Spain might be a good idea.

Have a look at Chaves. You get Spain (Galicia) as well, because its only 10km from the border. Much much cheaper than many places in Portugal. Very beautiful. Very cheap, accomodations for you, stabling for your horses etc. Dogs a big part of life. Amazing trails for riding, in or out of the mountains around, with the Tâmega River flowing through it. Very safe, clean. Extremely well run town with many festivals etc. All the big supermarket chains, even foreign ones, because so many Spanish people come across the border to shop. Many people speak Spanish because of the interactivity with Spain / Galicia. Porto only 1hr 30m away if you want a break or to fly somewhere.

It's very quiet, so you must have some types of activities to keep you busy though, on a day to day basis.

Thank you all for your help!

We will visit Portugal and Northern Spain next summer. We will absolutely visit all the places you have recommended. The high living cost in Barcelona, the crowds and the traffic problems are other reasons why we want to move.  I will absolutely look into Chaves. It sounds like a paradise for me. :-)

Best regards and thank you all,

Sammet

@JohnnyPT Hi is there a place in Portugal where we would not be surrounded by dogs on balconies or tied up or caged?

That would TOTALLY ruin my stay in Portugal.

We are looking to live in or near Sintra  or Setubal (perhaps Cova da Piedale), it has to be within 45 minutes public transit to Lisbon University for my daughter.

Perhaps there are places, streets,etc where there are no balconies to see those poor animals in the heat?

I would so much appreciate an answer to this.

Thank You

Helene

@SammetVall, hi, were you able to move to portugal?  Im evelyn from ghana, i will like to move to portugal. i don't know anyone there