Bringing jewelry Into PT

Hello,

We are finally on our way to live in PT this week! 

Question that just occurred to me…we are getting ready to fly to Lisbon. I have a couple of expensive watches which I've owned for years as well as some much older family heirloom watches as well as several rings and several sets of gold (many quite valuable)  cuff links, pens, and other pieces of jewelry that is probably collectively worth maybe $25k-$40k My plan was to bring these on the plane with me with my carryon as i don't want them lost/stolen. It's not so much the value, but most of the items have been in the family for 25-50+ years and I want them close by.

Will I owe anything when I arrive to PT? So I just declare these? What should I expect. They won't be hidden so o fully expect them to be viewed if searched. What should I expect?

Obrigado

Hi Sponger,

The answer I have found is this:

https://www.ana.pt/en/lis/passenger-gui … ip/customs
(in English)

It would be useful for someone here to give you further details about related personal experiences with these issues.

Basically

Yes. If the goods/assets including cash is greater than 10,000 euros – you are above the permitted limits, you are required by law to declare at Customs or be liable for fines and/or confiscation

Assuming you are carrying these then you need to declare them for which you will need a complete list with up to date values (which can be justified) plus some sort of purchase receipts or paperwork  to prove they are your property and not stolen or owned by another. It's partly to stop money laundering.  And they do take it seriously, i have done it twice (before Brexit) and had receipts to prove ownership which were very important, but you must also  realise that administration stuff - rules/fines/taxes//customs - in Portugal can sometimes be inconsistent and also depend on if you come from the EU or not (which you don't say).  Maybe taking a nominal amount over several trips so each can be considered a "normal  amount jewelry or a spare watch" below the 10k limit.

If you are moving to Portugal permanently then I think it is worth taking all your valuables in one go and declare them. You are allowed to bring your personal goods into the country free of any taxes and fees (e.g. when you container arrives). So, maybe it is worth talking to a customs expert.

On the other hand, the total amount doesn't sound very high (25 to 40k) and you are two persons ...