Rental proof for SEF appointment

Hey guys,

I have my D& Visa and I am in Portugal already but my SEF appointment is April 2024. So I have been paying my landlord since October 2023 based on my rental booking date at Uniplaces even though I fled to Portugal just in December 2023 (just to ensure that I get the accommodation) single room in Porto. It is for 600 EUR per month and I also paid security deposit on top of that.

The rental agreement was only documented in the Certificate of Accommodation issued to me by Uniplaces (showing October 2023 to October 2024) which is one year.

My concern is that the mode of payment has always been informal via WISE and WhatsApp chat and I never received any receipt for my payments till now. I intend to live in this residence long term or even for 3 years.

Is this certificate of accommodation and the Attestado de Morada issued to me by my local parish (Junta) sufficient to satisfy the lease document(s) required by SEF appointment?

Welcome to Portugal.

Cash is king.

Pay in cash without receipt, or pay increased rent with a receipt. 

Your choice.

Paying in cash is not a crime.

Welcome to Portugal.Cash is king.Pay in cash without receipt, or pay increased rent with a receipt.  Your choice.Paying in cash is not a crime.        -@slugsurmamates

I am fine if that won't be a problem at SEF. I just don't want unpleasant surprises and that's why I must prepare for things this.

So what do I get to show SEF officials when they ask for lease proof or lease tax registration?

I have read things like that happens during SEF appointment. (Correct me if I am wrong).

What's your experience with that on your first SEF appointment?

@bloggerblogger

You will have a rental contract as proof.

@SimCityAT To my knowledge the rental contract needs to be registered with the authorities.

@SimCityAT To my knowledge the rental contract needs to be registered with the authorities.        -@TGCampo

How do you register the rental contract?

Is this certificate of accommodation and the Attestado de Morada issued to me by my local parish (Junta) ?

@SimCityAT To my knowledge the rental contract needs to be registered with the authorities.        -@TGCampo

How do you register the rental contract?

Is this certificate of accommodation and the Attestado de Morada issued to me by my local parish (Junta) ?

-@bloggerblogger

Were you able to figure this out? I also got a place from uniplaces for $550 (it's a suite room)

@sunbest the contract must be registered by the landlord. Uniplaces is not a very good place to rent from for visa purposes as it's a platform and you don't deals with the landlord directly.

@sunbest no, only the landlord can do this in their tax portal.

@bloggerblogger you should be able to see proof that the lease and rent are recorded in your finanças portal. That is proof that AIMA can require. You may be fine, but you may not. It's the landlord's responsibility to record the lease, so I would ask. My clients always initially make their first payments through Wise or other, which is irrelevant to it being a legal and recorded lease. It can't hurt to ask. Did they end up asking for it or not?

@sunbest be careful, as they could easily overlook and cancel. I had Booking.com with me as the landlord take an INACTIVE listing and not only list it as active but take a booking for New Year's Eve last year! I already had AirBnB people here and it was crazy. I had to prove that Booking.com never sent me ANY notifications of any live listing or booking made, which was the case. Luckily, I knew a neighbor with an AirBnB space I was able to refer them to up the street!

@sunbest As an American here in Portugal, and a landlord with many successful D7 tenants (and a place actually listed as available on Expat.com at present), we can confirm and second @hblinder36 and Nia above: the landlord themselves (or their accountant) registers the lease with the government and pays the taxes. Then they can create in their personal online tax portal, what is called a "Modelo 2" a document which is filled out with the particulars of the lease, which can be used as proof of the contract for VFS for example. They also need the landlords other personal details, address, etc. and of course you have the signed rental contract itself. 

Also, all rent payments will have receipts associated with them via the tax portals, which will be shared with you automatically in the online portal against your NIF (your tax number in Portugal).

If a landlord requires cash payments, of course the red flag is that it implies there is no plan to pay tax on that, which means they will not be registering it on the tax portal which is required for the D7 visa. Of course always consult immigration lawyers, this is our personal experience.

Hope this helps!

Anyone know of a 6 month rental in evora, monsaraz region.

Hi Marty,

Elizabeth PT has a rental listed on this site in Evora just 2 days ago. See post above yours.

Good luck,

Dx

Thank you so much @fotheringhamdiane, we've connected now :-)