Solar panels for solar project in Costa Rica

@daveandmarcia hi! where did you get the panels? did you import them or buy them in CR? we have a solar project we are experimenting with. thanks!

Buy tgem here 100%

@Laura Spiers Our solar panels (hot water and photovoltaic) came from a company named Swissol. They've been in business here in Costa Rica since we arrived in 2005. Others have come and gone. Swissol gets high marks for service and support.

Note: An engineer friend has done the math. He's concluded that it is better to invest your money in photovoltaic panels to generate electricity and use that electricity to heat water than to have a separate water heating system. I wish we'da known.

While having solar-powered water heating is better than nothing, it's not without its drawbacks. Our two rooftop panels circulate water to an eighty-gallon storage tank in the bodega where a fairly complex set of pipes and sensors complete the installation. Were we using electricity from photovoltaic panels to heat water, we would have saved floor space in the bodega and just hung the "on-demand" water heater on the wall, and we would have avoided a couple of major plumbing leak events.

@daveandmarcia thank you so much for that great info!  We have our building plans complete but should be able to easily get that company to review for the water and electricity.

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have created this new topic on the Costa Rica forum from your posts as I believe that the questions regarding solar panels deserve their own thread.

All the best

Bhavna