Filing of Income Tax Online

Since February 11, Canadians or residents in Canada can file their income online. Certified software is listed in the CRA website. The CRA even sent letters to encourage the use of electronic method and emphasize the benefits: faster processing (in 2 weeks), a good news for the taxpayers, and saving hundreds of papers, a good news for the environment which will benefit us all.

My question is have you tried this method or are you contemplating of giving it a try?

I'm going to take a chance on it while I don't have yet a complicated financial status. This is a good time to learn the new method and learn tax software.

Tip:

For those who prefer the traditional method of mailing the forms and don't know how to go about the filing, you can look for tax clinics that can do your tax without any charge.

Volunteer Tax Preparation Clinics
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/vlnt … u-eng.html

Library and Schools also offer aid in preparing your income tax.

Hi punrun,

While I still was living in Canada I used to e-file my income tax return every year. It is quick, easy and secure so you don't need to worry about anything. You will find that e-filing also speeds up getting your tax refund if you have one coming. It is way faster than paper filing refunds get sent out. You must however retain the printout of your return and all of the supporting documents, T-4, etc., should CRA wish to see them at any time during an audit.

If you don't have one already you will need to contact CRA and get a personal PIN number for your tax account in order to be able to e-file your return.

Now that I'm receiving CPP and need to again file a Canadian income tax return I'm hoping I can recover my PIN and e-file too from here in Brazil.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thank you for a prompt, informative reply.

I've been thinking about another question for a while now and don't know who I should ask whether the CRA or my bank. I hope you don't mind me asking.

Should I wait for the RRSP deadline on March 1 since I still yet have to contribute for January and February?

I wanted to file since February 11 but I'm advised to wait till the deadline of RRSP contribution so that I can add it to my tax return.

I appreciate any enlightenment on this matter.

Update:

Filing of income tax return online is easy and fast.

I've proven this in 10 days. I've submitted my income tax on March 1 and on March 10, I have receive my CRA income tax refund in my chequing account.