How to make friends in Saint Petersburg

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Saint Petersburg :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Saint Petersburg??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Fortunately I brought my best friend with me in June 2000 when we arrived in St. Petersburg... my wife Larissa! Her friends treat me as their friend, too.  Larissa and her family taught me Russian and provided the warmth I missed from small town America.

I was helping an ESL organization and the people there asked if I had met the Englishman who worked with them.  I got his phone number and quickly he and his Ukrainian wife became our good friends.

I read about the St. Petersburg International Womans Club, and suggested Larissa join, as she lived for seven years as an expatriate in New York and New Jersey.  She is moderator for the Russian Conversation Group.  Sometimes they have events that include the spouses, such as a jazz club night, or the Christmas bazaar.

Some of the people I meet when shopping I consider as friends, even though I don't know their names. 

I am 66 and have limited energy, so I rely on email to keep up with American friends and family.

St Petersburg I believe may have a few Jewish senior centers, some social clubs, but no close Protestant churches with the full social life of study groups, choir, coffee hour.

I think with some initiative and verve an expatriate can find some groups which will help him or her meet people.

When I was there is Nov. 2007, I saw and met many expats at the City Bar, across the street from the U.S. Embassy.  It seemed at the time that many expats made their way through there at some point.