Teacher qualifications in Mauritius

I am an Australian teacher moving to Mauritius in December. Are my qualifications transferable and how long are they valid for, or do I need to do a course of some kind before I commence teaching work?
Thankyou

Dear mr lapierre, as I can guess, you don't seem to know Mauritius and you are asking so many question. My only answer to you is if you don't get a job as expat don't bother coming to Mauritius. Sorry to be honest but you won't survive without a minimum of Rs 100,000 month.

Recruitment in private international institutions :

For primary teaching : degree qualified, internationally or locally recognised primary teaching certificate and  proof of teaching experience

Secondary : Recognised degree  and proven teaching experience

Recruitment in public sector :
Primary teaching : HSC (Degree could be an advantage),   teaching experience,  MIE Teachers' licence (not applicable for trainees)

Secondary teaching :
Degree (Undegrad Deg, Masters or PhD depending on requirements), teaching experience, MIE Educator's Licence

So my degree from Australia will allow me to teach primary or pre-primary? I don't need to do any other certificates? I don't teach secondary.
I want to open my own pre-primary program teaching English.
Thankyou for your help.

That's not a very helpful answer. My husband is Mauritian. I am getting different information from people which is why I am asking here.

lapierre82 wrote:

So my degree from Australia will allow me to teach primary or pre-primary? I don't need to do any other certificates? I don't teach secondary.
I want to open my own pre-primary program teaching English.
Thankyou for your help.

It depends whether you are working for a local public or private instutition or an international institution. Requirements are not the same.

For local institution, they don't require degrees whatsoever to teach in pre-primary and primary schools, an hsc is enough (a degree could be an advantage for primary teaching but is not compulsory). Salaries are low, that is why degrees are not required.  Also, local institutions are already saturated and teaching positions are normally filled by hsc holders who have been training with the MIE for an educator's licence who master english, french and creol (which is more adapted to the local teaching environment).

For international schools such as Westcoast for example, they might ask for a degree for primary teaching. They are more open to recruiting foreigners as very often they are in demand for native speakers (english/french having experience with teaching abroad). For primary teaching, they do ask for proven experience and a certificate in primary teaching (you have a look at their past adverts). have a look at this previous advert of WestCoast as an example :

"Job candidates are required to be degree-qualified with a Mauritian or internationally recognised primary teaching certificate, have primary school teaching experience and be fluent in written and spoken English.  Applicants should preferably have experience in the IPC (International Primary Curriculum) or similar methodology.  The ability to converse in French would also be a great asset. "

As long as your degree/qualifications is recognised internationally, it is valid here. As for your teaching experience,  it is valid as well

In case an equilavence of your degree or diploma is required, you may do so here in Mauritius at the Higher Education Commission (tec.mu)

Thanks so much for this information you have been very helpful

And again for Dukesbridge for example which is an international english medium school, requirements are not the same, here is an old advert and their requirements :

We have a vacancy for a strong preschool teacher who lives in the region of ******. The candidate should be fully qualified (Diploma or Bachelor in Early Childhood) with fluent English and French language skills and with at least 3 years of experience working with children. The candidate should be willing to also take on some administrative duties. The role is intended to progress into a leadership position.