Menu
Expat.com

Visa run in Morocco

Last activity 14 December 2022 by Vakil

Randomguy2000

Hello. I was wondering if visa runs are allowed in Morocco. As an American I can go there visa free for 90 days. I was wondering if I could leave the country (Going to Algeria or Mauritania), and then returning back to get a new 90-day visa, and doing this multiple times a year?

Or is there rules preventing me from being able to do this? Like some countries say it could only be 90 days in 180 days.

maxharpel

@Randomguy2000

Hi! Yes you can do visa runs in Morocco, I just recently did mine I exited to Mauritania last 27th and I just got back yesterday but please choose a different country. I've been violated sexually harassed and even intimidated by local police there to give them money don't go there it gave me trauma and anxiety don't even think about it, but probably because I'm a woman. I'm even wearing decent clothing because I'm a Muslim I'm covered from head to toe but that doesn't stop them

Randomguy2000
@Randomguy2000
Hi! Yes you can do visa runs in Morocco, I just recently did mine I exited to Mauritania last 27th and I just got back yesterday but please choose a different country. I've been violated sexually harassed and even intimidated by local police there to give them money don't go there it gave me trauma and anxiety don't even think about it, but probably because I'm a woman. I'm even wearing decent clothing because I'm a Muslim I'm covered from head to toe but that doesn't stop them
-@maxharpel

Thank you for your answer.

I am truly sorry to hear that. Did you get sexually harassed by the local police in Mauritania or in Morocco? Where you traveling by yourself or where you with someone else?

Wyn2

Hey there, I do it all the time but I fly back to the UK to visit family and friends for the week, I do not know where you are in Morocco but last year you could get return flights for around £20 from Agadir to Alicante airport, spend a day or 2 there and fly back, also last year I was there when the borders closed so overstayed, they told me I could not re-enter for 30 days but I flew back 3 days later with no problems, the border guard recently looked at my stamps and said You are Moroccan now :-D

Randomguy2000
Hey there, I do it all the time but I fly back to the UK to visit family and friends for the week, I do not know where you are in Morocco but last year you could get return flights for around £20 from Agadir to Alicante airport, spend a day or 2 there and fly back, also last year I was there when the borders closed so overstayed, they told me I could not re-enter for 30 days but I flew back 3 days later with no problems, the border guard recently looked at my stamps and said You are Moroccan now :-D
-@Wyn2

Thank you very much for your answer.

maxharpel

@Randomguy2000  In mauritania , sexual harassment and mugging foreigners is quite prevalent in there.

maxharpel

@Randomguy2000 I wasnt alone I was with a friend whose also a woman , the immigration process was smooth but then as we went out of the airport we immediately got threatened by the taxi driver to pay him 5 euros more originally he told us the fee from airport to the hotel is 25 then suddenly he asked for 30 after that before we reached the hotel we were stopped by a police patrol with three police officers wearing camouflage and full head masks they opened our luggages touched and smelled our underwears that was in the luggage , forcefully took our phones and passport they checked our phones but the only photos they were lookin at are private photos i sent to my fiance they were zooming in and out on my private areas in said photos while they talk and laugh and show it to each other, they didnt let us go for 3 hours until theres so many people watching but no one was helping us then they took details of our passports and kept on insisting we come with them to the “precinct” to pay bail bond for nothing he just wanna get some money from us. Asking for 300 euros. I didnt give them anything I insisted my papers are complete we did nothin wrong we are tourists and were just heading to our hotel. After three hours they let us go, we got traumatized and never step foot outside of our hotel room we just ordered everything we need and because of that they charged us for everything overpriced. And finally on our last day we found a decent driver thats recommended by the hotel who only charged us for 20euros to the airport but then our nightmares isnt over yet because in the airport even the staffs if you ask them for simple things like where is the toilet or where is the check in they will follow you and force you to pay them for the said “help” they’ve done for you. Its a complete nightmare

Howcanihelp

Hey, one of our family members needs to renew their visa but we are hoping to avoid taking the run to Ceuta as the other 3 of us have already renewed. I heard the police sometime grant an extension. does anyone know how this works ? One of our family members is a Moroccan citizen and we own a flat in Marrakech. Any suggestions ?

Rondainmarrakesch

The extension can only be renewed in the first week after the entry. Doesn’t make sense, I know.

You could only extend it now in case of sickness, but for that you’ll need a certificate that you can’t travel and bring that to the Wilaya police station.

Easiest way, just try to book a flight to somewhere, stay a night and come back.

maxharpel

@Howcanihelp hi Ive tried to ask about that particular visa extension through police stations and even wilaya but no i think they stopped that as they told me they dont do that anymore. The only option is to get a visa run or to apply for carte sejour or a long term visitors visa for 1 year and is renewable im currently on the process of doing mine

Vakil

@Howcanihelp hi. As other users advised. Morocco has seemed to have stopped the visa extension however on exceptional situation they can grant it. But it’s more about who you no and how they can help.

easiest but non so convenient way would be to cross the border and rentre can do it via land or plane.

alternatively, if you qualify you could apply for residency if you have all your documents in place and once applied you won’t need to leave 

if however you do overstay then you will have to go to court and pay the fine prior to leaving but this is not recommended.

hope it helps.

Regards 

Arif

Articles to help you in your expat project in Morocco

• Work visas for Morocco
    Work visas for Morocco

This article presents information about applying for work visas, which is classified by country.  You will ...

• Choosing your neighbourhood in Marrakech
    Choosing your neighbourhood in Marrakech

Marrakech comprises five leading neighborhoods, namely Medina, Mellah, Gueliz, Hivernage and Chrifia. Each of them ...

• Getting married in Morocco
    Getting married in Morocco

If you want to get married in Morocco, there are different steps and a variety of procedures to follow. These can ...

• Casablanca neighbourhoods
    Casablanca neighbourhoods

Stretching over 220 km², Casablanca is more than twice the size of Paris. Like all historical cities and ...

• Opening a bank account in Morocco
    Opening a bank account in Morocco

Opening a bank account in Morocco is relatively easy. The language barrier could be an obstacle if you do not ...

• Making phone calls in Morocco
    Making phone calls in Morocco

During your stay in Morocco, you will certainly wish to keep in touch with friends and family. To do so, you can ...

• Getting around Marrakech
    Getting around Marrakech

In Marrakech, there are many means of traveling inside the city and outside, whether for work or leisure. Each of ...

• Getting around Casablanca
    Getting around Casablanca

Moving around in Casablanca is a day-to-day challenge. However, the city has a fairly developed ...

All of Morocco's guide articles