Philippines Mandatory Mobile Phone SIM Card Registration By Mid 2023

Gd day guys

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year.

Just a heads up....

I understand that there is a NEW mandatory ruling that requires all local mobile phone SIM cards to be officially registered by mid 2023 which if left unregistered will cause it to be auto cancelled by the respective telecom provider.

I just registered mine

https://www.rappler.com/business/sim-ca … -register/

& more

https://www.globalcompliancenews.com/20 … _12162022/

This link too many be helpful...

https://www.rappler.com/business/sim-ca … -register/

Registered both my 2 local SIMS just by uploading photos of both my Philippines driver's license and Photo.

Took less than 10mins to get my application done online.

@manwonder Which provider?

@manwonder Which provider?
-@danfinn

Hi danfinn *as mentioned its applicable to ALL Philippine telecom SIM cards.

@manwonder We all know that but you said you registered 2 sims online and I asked which provider. With my provider, globe, any links to a registration site haven't workèd.

as a note, this is getting to be a common thing. Indonesia did it years ago in an attempt to slow down terrorist/criminal/general scumbag communications.

It works to a point and, in the case of anyone with nasty intentions using a mobile phones, helps get them off the streets. However, scammers are now using mass SMS to get their messages to the public, and other groups are using a wild variety of other methods to communicate within their groups.

Registrations stops nothing, but it makes life harder for criminals with little by way of problems for most of us.

If this goes the same way as it did in Indonesia, the only SMS messages you get will be spam. I took the notification permission away from the SMS app on my phone and simply  clear out all my messages without reading them when I  think  to check them.

This is for prepaid sim cards at the moment….. postpaid Globe for instance will be accessible from their app starting January 2023.

postpaid account are basically already filed with credentials

@Tdionnet Globe already notified me that my postpaid sim was registered and I need do nothing.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I read on another site that as a visitor here (tourist visa) my Smart (or dumb as we call them) pre paid sim card needs to be re-registered every 30 days. Had that number for 5 years and I'm sure there are plenty of expats that had their number for longer than me.

Up loading I.D's etc? I'm thinking I get the better half to register both phone numbers in his name and I.D.

OMO but big brother rings a bell and if they look (because I'm sure there will be access available to all government departments) They will see I've been here almost 3 years since my last arrival and still driving on my Aussie drivers license, not that I've ever been pulled up or stopped at check points, white? Waved through for some reason. (too difficult to deal with?)

Better to register in Bens name as he is local.

Cheers, Steve.

Yes...both mine are "TNT SIM" cards which are basically "SMART pre-paid/top up cards" bought years ago fm a local shopping mall telecom booth with no registration requirements then.Used this link for registration...hope that helps.https://simreg.smart.com.ph/

https://simreg.smart.com.ph/

1f60e.svg

@Fred Registration of sim cards is nothing more than authoritarian governments exercising control of communications. PRC China did the years ago forseeing the necessity of identifying anti-government massaging on cell phones; it has nothing to do with marketing scams which they fo not care about. Only in some western countries like the US can a citizen own a telephone number and not be identified by verified true name to the government.

danfinn said and I agree:

it has nothing to do with marketing scams ...... Only in some western countries like the US can a citizen own a telephone number and not be identified by verified true name to the government.

The cost of applying this program is wasted money, if you are a scammer you will work around it, if your are a private citizen you will have a boondoggle of red tape, if you are a politician your relatives will have an empty desk job.

Just give it time....the US govt will follow suit n do the same requiring all SIM cards (new bought in) or brought to the US to be registered!

@Harbred6051 It could happen but I doubt it. Foe example, trakfone can be purchased at any walmart. They sell the disposable  phone with the sim. There are other prepaid or no contract sims that can be pirchased at places like Best Buy. The difference is, in the US a large segment of the population would consider registration of these devices to be overreach because the people value privacy and wish to keep government out of their lives. In some other countries in the region people simply accept government mandates and do not question them.

@Fred Registration of sim cards is nothing more than authoritarian governments exercising control of communications. PRC China did the years ago forseeing the necessity of identifying anti-government massaging on cell phones; it has nothing to do with marketing scams which they fo not care about. Only in some western countries like the US can a citizen own a telephone number and not be identified by verified true name to the government.
-@danfinn

True, but the NSA spies on you instead.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na … story.html

Political argument tend to be pushed by people wearing filtered glasses. However, regardless of opinions about freedom, phones will still have to be registered so it's all a bit pointless.

As for paperwork - Indonesia did this some while ago and for most it was a case of a quick bit of messing around using the network sites or a series of button presses on your phone to register. It took a very few minutes and that was that. New SIM cards are sorted out in the shop by the staff, or you can do it yourself. Quick and easy.

If the Phils copies Indonesia, phones brought into the country for greater than 90 days have to be registered as well. I haven't done that but I gather it's a ten minute job.

At the end of the day, it's bugger all of a one off job and, in practical terms, it's massively reduced the number of scam calls I get. That lot tend to be stuck to SMS only using mass sending services so they' a bit obvious they're scammers.

@manwonder Sorry to bother you but I would like to know which provider you registered for because I am using Globe and on their website, it just doesn't work right now. Major problems. I cannot complete the first form because important mandatory fields are greyed out. That, after searching for two other links to get me to the actual registration site. But sure, obviously we know it applies to all domestic carriers as you stated.

@Fred I am just saying that some people like, welcome or easily tolerate actions like this but if you want ti find a place where they do not, that would be the US. NSA was exposed, some of it may have been illegal. For example, say a foreigner from Indonesia kept making derogatory comments about the USA; sure they could spy on you because you are not a citizen. Maybe they have. But for me that would be illegal. If I communucate with you then they can spy on me. Other intercepts must be discarded.

This is a very good ruling! A phone nowadays is not used just for calls and texting….. it can be easily used to buy online and for any illegal activities when done anonymously.

I never understood why buying sim cards randomly was possible in the Philippines for so many years…..

Tdionnet said. . . . This is a very good ruling! A phone nowadays is not used just for calls and texting….. it can be easily used to buy online and for any illegal activities when done anonymously.

Buying online is not anonymous, they have your phone number, your address and the name on your credit card.

@Enzyte

What about identity thief? so easy to do online…..

@Tdionnet But anybody can register. Maybe they should require an NTC license requiring a written exam and annual payment to fully verify who you are. Rules violaters will tracked and fined a minimum of 100,000 php.

@bigpearl

I think (hope) this rule only applies to new sim cards.

Time will tell?

@Enzyte
What about identity thief? so easy to do online…..
-@Tdionnet

Look up breached forums.

However, don't join as it's less than popular with a lot of powerful people.

ID theft is a lot worse than most know

@bigpearl
I think (hope) this rule only applies to new sim cards.
Time will tell?
-@Rammers

Time has told. It applies to all sim cards.

Tdionnet said. . . .What about identity thief? so easy to do online…..

Identity theft? Not so easy for them with these precautions.

I've mentioned this before:

(1) I don't use free email accounts or addresses.

(2) None of my emails are stored on my computer, I access them on an outside web based subscription from a third party for $5.95 per month.

(3) I have two email accounts, one for my friends and the second for financial stuff, they don't intermingle.

(4) I have five alias throwaway accounts, sometimes a website wants an email address to join their site so, I use the throwaway accounts for all their future spam or info they may share with a third party.

(5) From time to time I use ProtonVPN because Proton doesn't track you, some pay VPN's track you.

(6) Every one of my logins & passwords are different. There are many so they are printed out at my disposal.

My banks make me jump through many hoops to gain access to my accounts, sometimes difficult for me and impossible for imposters.

Tdionnet said. . . .What about identity thief? so easy to do online…..
Identity theft? Not so easy for them with these precautions.

I've mentioned this before:
(1) I don't use free email accounts or addresses.
-@Enzyte Bob

I only use free accounts, but none have my real full name and I use a date of birth that matches on all, but is incorrect.

They can get hacked all they like but they will get zero useful information.

The throw away account for forums and so on is obvious - I thought everyone did it.

Microsoft and Google have incorrect details but, if they ever check between the two or both are hacked, the fake details match. That saves using and paying for a third party that might well be prone to hacking themselves.

The rest is easy - I have an internet only virtual debit card that gets enough money put on it to pay for the item I'm buying, and no overdraft is available on the account.  Everything else gets paid for as a one off payment through my banking app - and that requires I use my phone with the registered SIM card in it or a security key that broke a few years ago.

There is a massive amount of crap talked about internet security and lots of companies are making a fortune by selling useless services in security's name, but a minor bit of thinking stops the lot.

@Fred There are a few more levels, one being your smartphone number which will now easily identify you. The next kevel is IMEI number on your smartphone which can be crosslinked to your true name when the verified sim is being used on your phone. Even if you change the sim, the physical phone you are using identifies you by verified name. This registration could be said to be a boon to identity theives of a certain type.

danfinn said to Fred: This registration could be said to be a boon to identity theives of a certain type.

Yup those thieves may steal Freds 20 year old underwear.

danfinn said to Fred: This registration could be said to be a boon to identity theives of a certain type.
Yup those thieves may steal Freds 20 year old underwear.
-@Enzyte Bob

They would have to undress me first as I only have one pair so only 50% of the population plus doctors and carers will have a hope of such criminal activity. I'll leave you to guess which 50%, ducky.

As for the registration being a security issue, no more so than the many government databases that have been hacked in the very few months I have been watching Breached.

Domain: elector.co.il
User count: 6.5M
Date breached: 2021
Headers: voterId; firstName; lastName; address; city; phone; homePhone; extraPhone; birthDate; age; supportStatus; supportSign; fatherName; voterNumber; voteIntention; gender; comment; language; allowRecall; email; needsRide; ballotBoxNumber; ballotBoxAddress; handlingActivists; totalHandlingActivists

This is a complete list from 2020-2021 from the science and biology teachers from the United States Of America thats why i called it chemistry teacher list.

April 12, 2022, 10:42 AM
[*]Name: telegram
[*]Domain: telegram.org
[*]Logo Link: https://telegram.org/img/t_logo.svg?1
[*]Compromised Data: name, fname, phone,uid, username
[*]Description: Comparitech along with the popular researcher Bob ****** discovered 42 million Iranian ‘Telegram' user IDs and phone numbers online. The accounts belong to Iranian users, they are from a third-party version of the Telegram app.
[*]User count: 40640450
[*]Date breached: 2020

This one is especially stupid as people put their details into a duff app, but the other two are government things.... and there's a load of others from all over the world.

Dating sites, gambling, credit cards, sex sites, and pretty much everything else has been hacked so your data is out there anyway. It's hardly much to care about on the grounds there's nothing you can do.

If you want a phone in the Philippines you have to register so there's no point moaning.

If you want to use a phone without registering, go to the the US or UK where they don't do it.

If you want data security, don't have a phone, driving license, cat, credit, bank account, or anything else.

I've been registering SIM cards for in laws and our workers. It is a simple and painless process, for the Philippines 1f601.svg.

I found out the voter ID card is good to use for photo ID. I uploaded my father in law's voter ID card and when it came to inputting his information it was all filled in. I only had to select the sex.

We have a young man named Jimmy who lives on the property and does chores like cleaning the pool and sweeping the leaves. We provide his food and pay him a little. Jimmy usually sleeps on a bench in the Gazebo or on the living room floor of in in law's bungalow when it's raining. He is a good guy, very handsome and well muscled, but he never went to school, doesn't know his middle name (only the first letter), not sure of his birth date and can't read or write, but loves cell phones. We paid him as a laborer on our latest project and he saved enough to buy a P7,000 Realme phone, it was his dream come true.

When I'm trying to register his SIM card is when I found out he has no photo ID (and probably never will) and all the things he doesn't have knowledge of. Nanay considers him almost like son and will do anything for him so she has volunteered to register his SIM card in her name which solves that problem, but could be risky for Nanay.

Here in the province there are many like Jimmy. I believe many SIM cards will be turned off on April 27.

The new Iphones dont have sim card. They have esim. Its a built in sim card. You cant change it. So the Cell phone companies are making it where you have to register your phone in your name.

@eptowing I just bought my wife an iPhone 14 which is the latest model I believe. It has a SIM card. I installed the SIM from her old phone myself.

For all you procrastinators like me. . . register your sim card because once past the deadline your phone will be deactivated.

@eptowing how new we talking.

Hey all,

The Globe web site registration does not work. For me, on page 1 it has you fill in your name and address. At the bottom it asks you to upload a photo of proof of address and not matter what I put in there the Next button below it is greyed out. It also does not specify what constitutes proof of address anywhere on the site.

Anyone have the same issue or what did you use that worked?

The new Iphones dont have sim card. They have esim. Its a built in sim card. You cant change it. So the Cell phone companies are making it where you have to register your phone in your name.
-@eptowing

It's only the US versions that don't have the SIM card tray. I just bought a US 13 pro max for that reason. It still has one. The 13 or 14 purchased here in PI have it, but are way more expensive.

@pnwcyclist I don't think I would purchase an esim phone unless it had a physical slot for a 2nd sim. Anybody that travels internationally needs the option for a temporary local sim. OMO.

@pnwcyclist

Likewise although mine is the 13 Mini which I'm very happy with but boy what a fiddle changing over the almost microscopic (ok a tad exaggeration!) sim card. On arrival in Asia I let the guys at the respective arrival airports change the chip over. However on departing for the UK whilst waiting for my flight to be called I tried to replace my Telkom (Indonesia) chip with my UK (Three) chip and it took me 10 mins. Was putting it in the wrong way up but its so difficult to see the diagonal edge on one corner - oh well we live and learn lol.