Moving from Northamptonshire to glasgow

Hi everyone, just looking for some recommendations as planning to move to Glasgow area. Had some advice off to colleagues who are from around there and in same field of work as partner. He could get a job there so that's one thing sorted.

Would be looking for somewhere close to shops I.e tesco iceland pets at home poundland b&my etc so close comforts of what we need / use.

Also close to primary and secondary schools, we would be looking at a private rent property.

Checked alot of forums and online, all says welcoming, good for kids with parks etc.

What areas would you recommend ?

Any where we should avoid ?

Would we encounter any problems in certain areas with regards to being English? I'm just asking as idk and some have mentioned not welcomed at all.

The kids are ready to go and they loved looking at Glasgow online / maps.

A potential colleague told partner to go for few days but we'd prefer to know some better areas before planned that instead of going all over.

We know no one up there, except 2 potential colleagues of partner.

Originally from London, but looking to go even further north now.

Airdrie, coatbridge and round Glasgow been mentioned.

Any advice help from locals would be fantastic, as such a big move for us.

Also checked indeed and lots of suitable jobs for myself all around Glasgow so wouldn't be long before I'd find work hopefully.

We would be looking to move within 2023. Checked rightmove and so many lovely places. With lower rents also higher rents dependent on which type and where you want to move to.

Thank you so much in advance.

X

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You seem to have all the bases covered; a few points the region of Scotland that you are looking at moving to is known as the Central Belt, 70% of Scottish residents live in that area. The region stretches from South Ayrshire in the west, across to Fife and East Lothian in the east,  It follows that those areas will be the most sought-after and expensive to live in.  Wikipedia has a section on the demographics of Scotland that will inform you more about who lives where; this link will take you straight to it.  There is also the Numbeo website that has a wealth of data on costs and other social things; this link will take you straight to a comparison between London and Glasgow, and you can play with it to check out different areas.  Costs are generally a couple of months behind the curve, but they give you a flavour.

Education - Scotland used to have a reputation of having 1st class schools and universities, it seems to have lost its way a bit in recent years.

Healthcare - they have the same NHS  as in England, which seems to have also had some issues in the recent past.

The only thing that I would recommend is that you spend a few weeks up there before you make the move; something like an Airbnb and see how you get on.  Local social media pages on Facebook are another useful source of information.  More recently, we now have "In your Area" which is another Internet-based source where you can ask questions; this link will take you to the main site.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

As regards getting any hassle for being English, it wont happen, believe it or not theres plenty English people in Scotland that support Independence and are members of pro Independence parties. Random things can happen I suppose but if youre someone who generally doesnt attract unwanted abuse / attention where you live now then it spretty likely to be the exact same in Glasgow. Theres english people who support the Scottish national team etc... We are a fairly welcoming people (obviously there are exceptions to every rule) so I think youll be just fine.